I hate password Changing Day

Mr. Silly

Most of my stuff is set up with facial recognition on my phone but if I use another device it’s a pita. My iPad is ok, it uses a thumbprint. I hate passwords and everyone wants them longer and more difficult to type. Must have both upper and lower case, numbers and special characters.

23 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I have to change mine at work  often too. My trick is to put a number at the end of my password and just change that number. For example: ChrislPword1 then becomes ChrislPword2.

I have the first 3 characters be the 3 character month the password expires.  

57 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

And then write it on a sticky and put it next to your keyboard as you will never remember it! 😁

THIS!

And do they realize they actually simplified it. At work, which required similar, but prohibited special characters, it came down to keyboard patterns. Started out with "Qwerty (then move up for numbers) 65" next month was "Asdfgh76". After using those similar sequences  up, and it remembered for over a year, moved to a different - up and down - pattern with first letter always the required capital. "Zaq12wsx" then walk across the keyboard "Xsw23edc". 

Of course, I no longer work there and don't have to have the frequent changes. However, they switched e-mail to Microsoft Office Outlook and suddenly required that my phone  had an 8 digit passcode. Still having to deal with that despite removing their email.

• Heart 1

I have a number of obscure phrases I rotate through as passwords and use a couple different algorithms to change a to @ or L or i to 1 or capitalize certain letters or add a couple letters from the site the password is for in a certain way.  For example, the Declaration of Independence begins "When in the course..." - it's not obscure enough for me to actually use it, so it's a good example to use here.  If I was using it for the site of, say, Banco de Peru (assume there is such a thing), the password might become When1nthec0ur$eba.  That gives me an easy to remember, 17 characters password with upper and lower case letters, numbers and a special character plus the "ba" for Banco to throw someone off if they somehow figure out "When in the course."

Still, some thought has to go into the choice of passwords.  For sites like Amazon, I have a much different password for logging onto Amazon than I do for the website of the Amazon Store Card.

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

I had to change my fingerprints and facial ID the other day.  Witness Protection Program is such a PITA.  

At some point it just makes sense to remove your fingerprints all together.  I'm surprised you're still bothering with them.

2 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Well there is 2-factor authentication after typing in the password. 

I turn it on wherever possible, and it is definitely on the financial stuff.  It's a no-brainer and almost just as easy.  Log in, get a text with another PIN/code, get past security.

• Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I turn it on wherever possible, and it is definitely on the financial stuff.  It's a no-brainer and almost just as easy.  Log in, get a text with another PIN/code, get past security.

Same here but it can be a PITA at work when the computer times out in 15 minutes of non-use.

Had 3 factor at one job. Password, security card, and text code.