When was your last plane ride?

BuffJim

2006, I think. We went to Vegas for Interbike.

I was borderline homicidal by the time I got off the plane....only to walk into Mccarran airport and be forcefully reminded that not all places have banned smoking. It was like being punched in the nose by a big stinky fist.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

May 2019.  First trip to Europe, and maybe last!  Glad we did it then - London and Paris.

That would be a real shame.

56 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

But just barely... Didnt some of of the I’ll fated cruises set sail in February?

Some are cruising again in Europe.  It will be interesting to follow.

For me, last flight was back from California last Sept, so coming up on a year.  That's about as long as I've gone without flying for a few decades, so sort of sad about it (not the flying, the traveling).  My brother flew from NJ-CO last week and his flight was full both ways.

• Heart 1

I last flew in Aug. 2017, the return leg of a round-trip to Baltimore from Ft. Lauderdale, FL after an extended family 1-week West Caribbean beginning and ending at Miami.

I don't fly often - usually every 2-3 years for a major vacation.  So I even have a picture of my last plane flight. I'm on the far side, 2nd row, aisle seat with the blue shirt on a Southwest Airlines 737 (the only plane SWA flies).

FB_IMG_1502626146725.jpg.c6fd943761cc19f772c346a5aea77400.jpg

• Heart 2

June of 2008 flying back from Italy.   

Short story..  That flight was horrible. 

Longer version.... We found out (the hard way) on the return trip that Alitalia overbooks their flights a LOT.    We had (at least on paper) reserved seating.  Not so much,.. when we tried to check in for the flight.   The flight was full, before we got there about 2 1/2 hours early.  I was upset...  WoBG was SUPER upset.  We had to book a return flight, when we got that done, WoBG just kind of exploded on the poor person at the desk.  She did get about $2100 back in debit cards for the inconvenience. 

• Hugs 1

6 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Mine was February 11th. Back and forth to New Orleans with my daughter.  A single digit number of people in the airport were wearing masks. We called them kooks. 

How quickly things have changed. :unhappy:

6 hours ago, smudge said:

NYC trip, baby! 

when?

I flew back the end of MArch but not commercial.

• Heart 1

43 minutes ago, Allen said:

A couple of weeks ago. I was out at the local airport and I hopped a ride with a buddy who was taking his 172 up for a flight around the patch. We were up for about 45 mins and about 1,000 feet high just looking at things. 

I did a summer camp thing where we got to fly for a week. Pretty awesome. I was about 13 and got to handle the controls once from the co-pilot seat. Haven’t been in a small craft since. Never been on a helicopter. 

I've been in a few small planes.  Once I took a trial flight school lesson.   I decided buying a airline ticket (or driving) would be way cheaper than getting into plane ownership or rental, and fuel cost, etc...

Helicopters... I've been in a few of those too.   During work a few times.  In Alaska WoBG took a tour, landed on a glacier up in the mountains.  OMG was that a beautiful flight over the mountains.

Hot air balloon trip in Sedona AZ.   That was amazing...   The best part the heights didn't bother me at all.   (climbing a 26 foot ladder to paint the old home, scared me to death sometimes)

• Awesome 1

6 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Never been on a helicopter. 

6 hours ago, Allen said:

Neither have I. I’ve been up in a lot of small planes, but never a helicopter. 

Helo’s are a blast.  Been in lots as well as small planes.  I’d take a helo ride any day.  Being a door gunner flying nap of the earth at 100 knots is the freaking bomb!

Flown in helicopters while fighting forest fires, flown in small planes mainly over the prairies in South Dakota, and flown in small passenger planes, where they took our names and phone numbers as we were approaching College Station and called our wives to report our arrival. On the College Station flights, one of the passengers got to be in the co-pilot seat. We flew in storms that kept the big airlines grounded. If the weather was too bad, we just pooled our resources and rented a car and drove from Dallas to College Station. Normally, there was always a group of Aggies at the airport on Friday nights headed for home.