Original wedding bands?

ChrisL

I was surprised to hear in the titanium glasses thread that several people replaced their original bands for one reason or another.  I’m still wearing my original gold band as is my wife.

Do you still wear the wedding band from your wedding day or something else?

The gold chain bands were popular in the 70s when I got married. Never designed for someone who works for a living. I had it repaired several times and finally after it broke the third time I put it in a drawer and wore my wife’s granddad’s ring. When I worked at the forge my fingers got too big and I had to get a bigger ring. My wife got me a sterling silver and turquoise ring that I wore until I retired. When I retired my fingers shrunk back to normal size and I went back to granddad’s ring.

• Heart 2

Sort of? After 24 years my ring had some of the side stones fall out. We went back to the original guy that made them. He recast everything & reset the stones. So same design & mostly same stones. But different gold? I don't know he may have reused the gold also

10 minutes ago, Further said:

I lost my original within a month, it slipped off my finger and was gone forever. The cheap replacement is much tighter and hasn’t been off my finger in 40 years. The only way it’s coming off is cutting it 

I lost mine fairly early on as well under similar circumstances.  Just went and bought a similar replacement at the same place I bought the first one - just sized it down a little.  Yellow gold rings are pretty cheap relative to engagement type rings.  I still take the ring off occasionally when doing something where it gets in the way, but definitely a process to get it off.

I do find that my ring finger definitely varies in size during the year.  Not sure what it is related to - weather, diet, something else???

10 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

The gold chain bands were popular in the 70s when I got married. Never designed for someone who works for a living. I had it repaired several times and finally after it broke the third time I put it in a drawer and wore my wife’s granddad’s ring. When I worked at the forge my fingers got too big and I had to get a bigger ring. My wife got me a sterling silver and turquoise ring that I wore until I retired. When I retired my fingers shrunk back to normal size and I went back to granddad’s ring.

Reminds me of my dad.  He worked construction & his band wore thin & broke. He thought it was gone forever somewhere on the build site and never replaced it.  Fast forward 20-30 years and a few years after he died one of my sisters is finally cleaning out his work belt putting the tools away.  At the bottom of one of the pouches she finds his broken wedding band!

• Haha 2

Something else. I removed my original wedding ring to do some electrical work and put it in my pocket. Never found it again. I seldom wore my wedding ring back then as we weren't allowed to wear jewelry while working on aircraft. Too much trouble to remember to take it off and on so I mostly left it off.

24 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I was surprised to hear in the titanium glasses thread that several people replaced their original bands for one reason or another.  I’m still wearing my original gold band as is my wife.

I wore the wedding band for only a short time before work required that I not wear it because of work around high voltage and moving equipment.  It's sitting in a little shadow box hanging on the wall.

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

I still wear the original.  With a finger injury playing basketball 25 years ago it will never come off without a saw.

In my late 30’s  I had gained a lot of weight and my band was too tight & hurting. We went to a jeweler and he said yeah we’re gonna have to cut it off.  He then says the ring, I’m going to cut the ring off.  I look down at my kids standing besides me and both of them had a look of shock and then relief.  

• Haha 4

I (we) got cheap ones from Service Merchandise (remember them?). While wife still wears hers, I got a bad batch of gold and it shrunk on my finger. Could barely get it off so got a new one. Much better now as hasn't shrunk like the last one.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

I (we) got cheap ones from Service Merchandise (remember them?).

Of course I do.  I watch so many old game shows, I think they're still around and offering gift certificates as prizes. :nodhead:

I always felt like I won something when my purchase would come down the conveyor belt after check out.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

Of course I do.  I watch so many old game shows, I think they're still around and offering gift certificates as prizes. :nodhead:

I always felt like I won something when my purchase would come down the conveyor belt after check out.

I feel like we had Service Merch, Basco, and BEST as competing "catalog" stores.  Used to love those when I was a kid - toy and sporting goods.  Got a BB gun from one of them.

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I feel like we had Service Merch, Basco, and BEST as competing "catalog" stores.  Used to love those when I was a kid - toy and sporting goods.  Got a BB gun from one of them.

I wonder if we had those in CA as I don’t remember them. We had the Blue Chip stamp books where if you bought stuff you got a certain number of stamps. Collect them in books and you could exchange books for merchandise.

I remember there was a Brady Bunch episode on the subject.

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I misplaced my original. I lost a lot of weight and it slipped off somewhere on a cold winter day.  

13 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I wonder if we had those in CA as I don’t remember them. We had the Blue Chip stamp books where if you bought stuff you got a certain number of stamps. Collect them in books and you could exchange books for merchandise.

I remember there was a Brady Bunch episode on the subject.

I got my beloved and infamous blue clock from trading stamps.

• Heart 1

I'm on my second one. The first disappeared from the house after a road trip, it never turned back up. Wo2 got me another one when her mega-department store employer was having a huge clearance sale. We had to have it resized & the bottom of the ring (palm side) has worn thin.

WoBG and I both have our original rings.   Even after 38 years.  

Mine had to be cut off once.  I never took it off for many years after we were married.  One day I realize the ring must have gotten smaller (or me bigger) because it would not come off my finger.   Even then,.. a few more years went by.   It must have been something related to work, (can't remember now) and I had to have the ring cut off. The jeweler mad the ring bigger.  Once again... the ring hasn't been off of my finger for many years.  But at least it can come off if needed. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Kirby said:

My Dad wore the original for 60 years.  

Wedding rings are abit cultural way back in the decades for certain countries.... my father never wore one.  My mother wore her wedding ring ..occasionally when I was a child only for special occasions.  Then she gained weight and couldn't fit the ring.

My parents married in Canada....1 month after they met at airport where my father arranged for her plane ticket to come to Canada. My mother was a picture bride direct from China.

• Heart 2

Still have the original although I don’t wear it daily. I’ll wear it when I go into the office and take it off when I get home. Wo7 bought it several years before we were engaged, so the ring is probably 34-35 years old. We added the emerald to make it a wedding ring. The emerald is our birthstone and the month we married in 30 years ago. 

F52E7DE6-42A2-4BA1-8F79-537C0BD671EC.jpeg

• Heart 4

4 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I still wear it proudly. Every day.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Kirby said:

Does anyone wear a wedding band that was a family heirloom or a gift from a relative?

My wife & now daughter sometimes wear rings that belonged to my wife’s maternal grandmother but not as a wedding ring.  One of my sisters does wear my moms band as her wedding ring.

• Heart 1

My original is now a pinky ring for me! WoW is the same way. We decided to buy some rings a couple years ago from a Native American blanket booth. Handmade, inexpensive, but nice looking. I took it off one day after a very hot ride home and set it on the table. It was nowhere to be found the next morning. 

The patina wore off my very quickly when I was fighting forest fires. Finally quit wearing it when it got a bit dangerous on the job. Not sure where mine or my wife's are located. She wears her Texas Aggie ring on her ring finger, and I still don't wear rings. Might mention that I saw one of my bosses almost lose a finger when his ring was caught between the top of a rack and the bottom of a large pipe at the concrete plant in the late 50s. Damn sure made a believer of me relative to their safety on some jobs.