Hmm. What Is So Special About This Chain?

Razors Edge

2 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

“The contact pins does not move.”

That kind of says it all, right there.

No word, either of how those big honkin side pins are going to fit in a 12 speed cassette....

Or who wants to buy a whole new crankset and cassette and figure out how to fit it within an existing frame geometry.

Like, where's the working prototype?  I've got a dopey video telling me that old chain systems are inefficient (they aren't) and this new system - shown in some CGI BS form - is "better", but only because they say so, since obviously no WORKING version exists nor has one been tested!

But, it's the classic BS marketing crap that annoys me.  There is friction in a chain system, but it all depends on the relative amount vs the real amount.  In other words, if the new system is 10% or 50% more efficient, that sounds insanely great (relatively), but if that savings is against a negligible loss - say "normal" chain has one watt of friction penalty, so the new chain is only a 0.5 watt of penalty - then WHO REALLY CARES??? Especially if it is heavier, more complicated, costlier, uglier, has greater aero drag, or whatever????

If I need another .5 w-word when I ride, I will just not have an ice cream sandwich after supper and have an apple instead.  It is like when the guy at the bike shop tries to upsell me new lighter pedals so I can save 60 grams.  I just say "Dude, 60 grams?  I am 20 lbs overweight."

Just now, Zephyr said:

If I need another .5 w-word when I ride, I will just not have an ice cream sandwich after supper and have an apple instead.  It is like when the guy at the bike shop tries to upsell me new lighter pedals so I can save 60 grams.  I just say "Dude, 60 grams?  I am 20 lbs overweight."

Marginal gains (and doping) win TOURS!!!!!

I made up the .5 watt, but it is actually not a bad one when you consider how little is actually lost in the bicycle drivetrain due to friction.

I'm always amazed at the TT/Tri/aero folks who seem to not actually grasp the whole concept of when and how to effectively use their sleek machines.  :(

• Heart 1

Just now, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Like the woman around here who always is on her aero bars - even when climbing.....

...and wears loose, flappy clothing?

I pass her and her husband regularly.  I always want to ask if they want some friendly advice, but by the time I start to get the words out they are like 100' behind me :( 

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Calling you fat in front of the whole Cafe!!!!!

He knows you own guns and can use them, doesn't he???

I thought him and I had a 'thing' going, but that was just hurtful.  And he knows I sent him my gun in the mail to deal with all the crazy Bostonians 

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Good point, I'm not overweight, I'm undertall.

I used to be 5'10", seems I'm more like 5'9" now.  170 would be a good weight.

I eat too much, and too much crap.

145.  That way you can do Mt Washington with an insane power-to-weight ratio!

Just now, Razors Edge said:

145.  That way you can do Mt Washington with an insane power-to-weight ratio!

I'm big boned.  :)

In high school I had a perfectly flat stomach, no extra fat, and weight 167.

I admire people like you that can regulate their weight and eating.

I've been depressed most of my life, it causes a lot of bad eating choices.

I'll get there.