Is 2020 the worst year ever?

Randomguy

For me personally, no not even close. My family is healthy and doing well.  My wife is out of work so that has put a damper on things but not as much an impact as when I’m out of work. 

Lots of crap going on in the world but my inner circle is doing well so I’m doing well. 

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

There have been worse.

The great depression and the dust bowl years.  The years of the Spanish Flu.  Several wars especially those years that contained the Civil War.

In the locked COVID thread, someone posted a table showing the  daily C-19 death rate is 3x that of the Civil War and 4x that of WWII.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

In the locked COVID thread, someone posted a table showing the  daily C-19 death rate is 3x that of the Civil War and 4x that of WWII.

Yeah, I haven't updated the chart as we roll forward with another 10k dead, but it might have nudged down a tad to maybe 850/day average, so more <2x Civil War and <3x WWII, >4x WWI, and 75x Vietnam.

image.png.83ba9c149a76e5fa4d69e071b9e8fb2a.png

Interesting enough, COVID is on it's way up - still with a "rocket" - to #3 cause of death in the US and still with a potential to hit #2 (but unlikely as "Cancer" covers a LOT of death).

image.png.25fb24e4d4d9945bc052963f54b7d7a8.png

40 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah, I haven't updated the chart as we roll forward with another 10k dead, but it might have nudged down a tad to maybe 850/day average, so more <2x Civil War and <3x WWII, >4x WWI, and 75x Vietnam.

image.png.83ba9c149a76e5fa4d69e071b9e8fb2a.png

Interesting enough, COVID is on it's way up - still with a "rocket" - to #3 cause of death in the US and still with a potential to hit #2 (but unlikely as "Cancer" covers a LOT of death).

image.png.25fb24e4d4d9945bc052963f54b7d7a8.png

It is just like the flu.

29 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Maybe I am being dramatic.  But, I have not loved 2020.  It has affected me financially, and emotionally.  I miss normalcy and hugging my friends.  

I miss travelling down by the shore and stopping at small fine restaurants.  I miss going to the beach and reading a book in the shade while I watch the roasters baste and roll over.  Mostly I object to wasting a year out of my life hiding,

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

no, I'm  biking more than ever. 2020 is a the best year ever

It is great for cycling so far.  Started a little slow as folks figured out what to do, but now it is in full swing and WFH really helps that!  On the downside, many folks missed the "new bike" opportunity and are stuck waiting for more inventory.  Snooze you lose!

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

It is great for cycling so far.  Started a little slow as folks figured out what to do, but now it is in full swing and WFH really helps that!  On the downside, many folks missed the "new bike" opportunity and are stuck waiting for more inventory.  Snooze you lose!

yup...luckily I has the bikes I need :D

3 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Dude, wtf do I need w/ more? LOL I have road, CX, fat. Done.

I see you lack a TT, a vintage, a beach cruiser, an ordinary, a fixie, a recumbent, a stunt bike and maybe a bike that is just like the one you had growing up. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Traffic has picked up since the July 4th weekend when opening up went into full swing.  Before that the roads were empty.  I could do most of my 1 hour routes without stopping.  It was fantastic!   

15 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

Traffic has picked up since the July 4th weekend when opening up went into full swing.  Before that the roads were empty.  I could do most of my 1 hour routes without stopping.  It was fantastic!   

Yeah - we're definitely back to old levels of traffic on local roads.. Not sure how rush hour roads are, though.  It was really nice for a while there not having to compete with cars.

My home going up in flames like a match at the beginning of March, missing out-of-state family events, no big vacation, my 12 year-old nephew fattening up to 150 lbs at 5'3", my sister almost dying twice of COVID-19.

Yesterday, I got a severe, sore-to-touch pain at the top edge of my left shoulder - which underwent a major rotator-cuff operation in 2017.  Today it's much better.  It's stressful thinking about having to deal with potential medical problems when you want to avoid medical locations.

In 2 hours, I go to my dentist to get my temporary crown replaced by a permanent crown - my 4th.  That will be followed by an overdue cleaning and checkup. I'm not crazy about that either in a county where new COVID-19 cases have been hanging around 50/day (769K population) all summer.

But I'm not sure it was the worst year.

When I was a kid and there was a lot of financial and disabled-dad-drinking problems, I was more stressed-out than this year. For several years back then, you could almost cut the tension in our house with a knife. Arguments became so common that when I came home from IIT for Christmas Vacation, I couldn't wait to go back to Chicago after a few days though I my flight was a week away. Things became much, much better and happy in general when my mother got a major promotion at work and my Dad's veteran's disability was increased from 30% to 60%. Severe money problems are a MAJOR deal! Now, thankfully, I'm financially good in retirement and had much better homeowner's insurance than I realized and that has meant more boredom than stress this year.  My siblings are also in very good financial shape: I think that after the childhood we experienced we made sure we weren't going to ever go through that again - and the kids in the family enjoyed/enjoy things we didn't get and be part of their "in crowd" because their parents can afford it.!

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - we're definitely back to old levels of traffic on local roads.. Not sure how rush hour roads are, though.  It was really nice for a while there not having to compete with cars.

My commute is still awesome. It was talking me 30-45 minutes pre C19.  My commute in either direction is still under 20 minutes.