I have decided that I do not like humidity

Dirtyhip

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

55% is humidity?  We call that a non-humid day here.

DUDE!  

Not sure what it feels like to be in 70% humidity.  When I went to Florida, everyone was saying it was not very humid during our stay.  I went to put lotion on, after my shower, like I always do.  HAHA, it was just all frothy and lathery and it was very hard to apply. 

Maybe all over body lotion is a desert thing. 

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

DUDE!  

Not sure what it feels like to be in 70% humidity.  When I went to Florida, everyone was saying it was not very humid during our stay.  I went to put lotion on, after my shower, like I always do.  HAHA, it was just all frothy and lathery and it was very hard to apply. 

Tomorrow at 1pm it is predicted to be 85 degrees and 76% humidity.  The entire eastern half of the country is either an open sewer or a swamp.

• Heart 1

I never felt 'cold' rain until I moved to Colorado. Doesn't feel very good on bare skin. Nice thing about low humidity, is that even on a hot day, you can find some shade and it will be cool. Not necessarily so for areas with high humidity. Find some shade, and it is still warm to hot.  The most negative thing I remember about high humidity, is lying in a pool of sweat at night and trying to go to sleep.

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

DUDE!  

It feels like wearing a hot wet blanket over your entire body.   You must be getting the humidity we were having.

But what really sucked was doing details in Arlington Cemetery in summer. 90+ degrees, 90% humidity and wearing wool dress blues, vinyl white hat & gun belt holding all the heat in.  Serious suckage.

15 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I never felt 'cold' rain until I moved to Colorado. Doesn't feel very good on bare skin. Nice thing about low humidity, is that even on a hot day, you can find some shade and it will be cool. Not necessarily so for areas with high humidity. Find some shade, and it is still warm to hot.  The most negative thing I remember about high humidity, is lying in a pool of sweat at night and trying to go to sleep.

and the cold days don't feel as miserable.  A windy wet day in Oakridge, no fun.  A crisp sunny day here, even if it is colder, is tolerable.

Static electricity does seem worse in low humidity, IMHO.

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

So, it's raining?

We were in DC one summer visiting family.  It was one of those super sticky hot days. My son: “dad, you can see the air”.  Yes son you can, you can see the air...

It doesn’t have to rain, the air is just thick with moisture.

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

We were in DC one summer visiting family.  It was one of those super sticky hot days. My son: “dad, you can see the air”.  Yes son you can, you can see the air...

It doesn’t have to rain, the air is just thick with moisture.

Does not compute, for me.

100% humidity would be rain?

9 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Does not compute, for me.

100% humidity would be rain?

Think of sauna where the hot steamy air just lingers...  Also, the higher the temps the more moisture it can hold so a cool 70 degrees at 60% humidity (what it’s like for coastal SoCal) is much different than 90 degrees & 60% humidity.  There is much more moisture in the air the hotter it get but I don’t think there can be 100% humidity.

It's 84% right now.  God knows what it will be today.  Probably about 85 degrees with 264% humidity.  I walk out into my garage and just start sweating, just for the shits of it.  I will go on my daily walk when I get off work at 10:00.  It will only be about 84 degrees give or take and I will probably sweat about 98 pounds.

Clear and sunny out this AM, 80 degrees and 95% humidity. With 100% being rain and it is sunny out, I don't know if the humidity reading is an average factoring in the afternoon thunderstorms, or represents the moisture base that the clouds build from for the afternoon storms, supplementing the Atlantic and Gulf wind convergence.

One thing I do know from living in Arizona. Evening swims in pool with temp around 100, shin above the waterline had a chilling effect as the lack of humidity pulled the moisture. Visit my mom in FL, humidity may have hit us in the face as we arrived at the airport, but evening swims were very comfortable. Arizona outside dining had misters to cool the area...Florida, don't even think about it as would be drenched. 

BENEFITS OF HIGH HUMIDITY

August 16, 2013 6:01 PM | Skymet Weather Team

Ever wondered that the high humidity levels which make you irritable and leaves the entire day intolerably muggy and damp could actually have some unique benefits you might have never known. Here are five simple yet never thought of benefits of high humidity that will leave you surprised.

Precipitation: High temperatures and humidity that force you to stay indoors and switch on the ACs, usually bring good news during late afternoons or evenings in the form of rain. In places where humidity levels maintain above 80%, occasional showers and drizzle continue all day, like in the case of Pune. This in turn maintains the mercury levels, leaving everyone cheerful and happy.

Animals : High humidity generally makes the temperature of the air more constant, allowing very little difference between high and low temperatures as seen in the drier climates. Animals will be healthier in general with more stable daily temperatures. Also, high humidity is relative to the amount of precipitation any given climate receives, which in turn provides adequate moisture for abundant growth of plant and food for the food chain. Now you know why your dog is irritable in the summers and feels charged during the monsoon and winter months.

Skin: Acne problems do not seem to leave you…shift to a humid place. Humidity is one of your skin's best friends. It's an essential for healthy, beautiful skin.Low humidity causes dry skin, dry hair, itching and chapping. Whereas, high humidity leaves the skin supple, fresh and glowing which is why dermatologists and cosmetologists always suggest using humidifiers in homes in drier climates to maintain the relative humidity levels of 40%.

Flu–Every year the flu season packs a punch and spoils everyone’s health. But now, just a simple trick can keep this major flu season in control. A new research has revealed a simple way to reduce the risk of infection in an indoor setting. Just hike up humidity levels!Researchers say, just by raising indoor relative humidity levels to 43 percent or above, 86 percent of airborne virus particles can be left powerless. This is another instance where humidifiers can work wonders!

Sinus–Remember you were told how humidity is the worst enemy for sinus. But humid air is way better for your nose than extremely dry air. Breathing dry air all day long can dry out nasal passages and cause or aggravate respiratory problems. Dry sinuses, bloody noses and cracked lips- humidifiers can help soothe all these familiar problems. And not many know that humidifiers can also help ease symptoms of cold and other respiratory conditions.

Lastly, the best way to test humidity levels in your house is with a hygrometer. This device, which looks like a thermometer, measures the amount of moisture in the air. Hygrometers can be purchased at any store near you. When buying a humidifier, consider purchasing one with a built-in hygrometer which maintains humidity within a healthy range.

Photo by Joe Hurley Inc.

• Heart 1