Deviled Eggs

Allen

Mrs. Grumpy buys the premade ones at the store.  :unsure:

There are two types of people: those who like the yolk blended into a cream and those who like some texture in the yolk.  I prefer to lightly crush the yolk so there is some texture to the yolk.

The ones Mrs. Grumpy buys from the store have creamed yolks.  :unsure:

I am indifferent about paprika.  

• Heart 1

Ingredients

6 slices peppered bacon

1 dozen eggs 

1/4 cup mayonnaise

1/4 cup heavy cream 

1 teaspoon yellow mustard 

1 teaspoon sugar 

1 teaspoon white vinegar 

Hot sauce, such as Tabasco, as needed

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Paprika, for sprinkling 

Directions

1. Fry the peppered bacon in a pan over medium heat until crisp, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove to a paper-lined plate.
  2. Fill a large pot with enough water to cover the eggs, then bring to a boil (without the eggs). Using a slotted spoon, gently lower the eggs into the boiling water. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Run the eggs under cold water until completely cooled.
  3. Peel the eggs, cut in half and scoop out the yolks into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Add the mayo, cream, mustard, sugar and vinegar. Add hot sauce if using and salt and pepper to taste. Whip until smooth.
  4. Using a small spoon, fill each egg white half with a generous teaspoon of the filling. Lightly sprinkle with paprika. Cut the bacon into chunks and decorate the tops of the egg halves with a shard of bacon.
  • Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I get out my wife's cook book and turn to the page where she copied my mother's recipe and do what it says.

I boil the eggs.  Have to get them well in advance so they peel easier.

Place in pan with cold water.  Bring water to a boil.  Boil for 1 minute, Remove from heat and let stand 10 to 12 minutes.  Longer for larger or more eggs.

Immediately place eggs in ice bath to stop the cooking.  This method will yield a firm yellow yolk.  Getting the temperature too high will result in the gray nasty yolk that everyone in their right mind hates.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I boil the eggs.  Have to get them well in advance so they peel easier

Pressure cooker. Perfect boiled eggs every damned time. Doesn't matter how fresh they are or whether they're straight out of the fridge or not. 5-5-5; five minutes under pressure, five minutes natural pressure release, five minutes in ice bath. Perfectly cooked, shells come right off.

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Pressure cooker. Perfect boiled eggs every damned time. Doesn't matter how fresh they are or whether they're straight out of the fridge or not. 5-5-5; five minutes under pressure, five minutes natural pressure release, five minutes in ice bath. Perfectly cooked, shells come right off.

You are right.  I am wrong.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/articles/1072-kitchen-smarts-how-to-make-hard-cooked-eggs-so-easy-to-peel-that-the-shells-practically-fall-off

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, jsharr said:

For years, I followed the Cook's Illustrated /ATK method, with mostly good results. Since I switched to doing them in the Instant Pot, I have never had a failure.

8 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I went vegan about 3 years ago, prior to that, no I did not like eggs.

Did not like eggs because they didn't "agree" with you or you had allergies (hence the veganism) or you just didn't like eggs of a certain type (hard-boiled, scrambled, deviled, etc.)?

Like, eggs are a pretty basic ingredient, so while I may not like eggs in ALL incarnations, I certainly could see liking them in cookies but not deviled, or in a quiche but not sunny-side up.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Did not like eggs because they didn't "agree" with you or you had allergies (hence the veganism) or you just didn't like eggs of a certain type (hard-boiled, scrambled, deviled, etc.)?

Like, eggs are a pretty basic ingredient, so while I may not like eggs in ALL incarnations, I certainly could see liking them in cookies but not deviled, or in a quiche but not sunny-side up.

They were fine baked into products, but as a stand alone item, eating the embryo from another species just felt wrong.  They're gooey, chewy, slimey, liquidy ...  Yuck.

• Awesome 1

I haven't made them myself in years.  The recipe I followed was much like this "Classic Deviled Eggs" from the Food Network.  I like the yolks with a little texture.

Also, use one of the boiling techniques that doesn't leave a green sulfurous ring around the outside of the yolk.

Ingredients

6 eggs

1/4 cup mayonnaise

1 teaspoon white vinegar

1 teaspoon yellow mustard

1/8 teaspoon salt

Freshly ground black pepper

Smoked Spanish paprika, for garnish

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

They were fine baked into products, but as a stand alone item, eating the embryo from another species just felt wrong.  They're gooey, chewy, slimey, liquidy ...  Yuck.

Liquidy?   I do like runny eggs over easy, but most folks will scramble eggs so no liquid is around.

I am fine eating the embryos.  Humans are not alone in that respect, countless species eat eggs.

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

Why don't we eat human embryos?  Would you like those hard boiled, scrambled, or raw?

Duh.  Even a moran understands we are at the top of the food chain.  The chicken and its egg are supposed to be eaten by us.  You may not agree but you wouldn't be here if your ancestors didn't eat an egg or but a water buffalo on the spit.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Duh.  Even a moran understands we are at the top of the food chain.  The chicken and its egg are supposed to be eaten by us.  You may not agree but you wouldn't be here if your ancestors didn't eat an egg or but a water buffalo on the spit.

You know I'm giving him crap and have no issue with people eating animals.

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Liquidy?   I do like runny eggs over easy, but most folks will scramble eggs so no liquid is around.

I am fine eating the embryos.  Humans are not alone in that respect, countless species eat eggs.

Ever hear of balut?  Many island cultures eat partially developed bird embryos. I’ll post a link as the images are kinda gruesome https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(food)

My dad ate fermented eggs that were buried in mud for weeks, months even.  Nasty as hell but he liked it.