Expect more power outages

maddmaxx

I was out of power for 3 days in 2011 after Hurricane Irene.  Flooded basement, but it's cement and cinder blocks and everything was raised way off the floor except a freezer, washer and dryer, and furnace.  Only the freezer died.

I made sure I had a generator handy, in case, after that: 1200 Watts, 1 gal gas every 4-6 hours so gas would last and so I could, intermittently, run the refrigerator, TV, lights, and cook on the gas stove!

39 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

As soon as the sun pops out, it will slide off.  

remind me next winter. I'll send you video of my BIL cleaning theirs off. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

I would guess that those of you in upstate NY are getting similar messages.

Not that I've heard. We had a thunderstorm roll through a while ago, but that's it.

Whatever hit Albany a while ago is sliding through this area now.  Television news is in constant tornado watch.  Right now the radar looks like the two major cells are sliding by us on opposite sides.  The city of New Haven has a shelter now warning.

Very dark here.  Lots of thunder.  Very little wind and raining gently.  The cats are in and we will be staying that way.

We got a tornado warning for nearby counties and I was on a conference call when heavy rains started.  Luckily I was on mute because the rain got heavy very suddenly and when there was a big lightning strike that sounded very close, I literally screamed.

11 minutes ago, Kirby said:

We got a tornado warning for nearby counties and I was on a conference call when heavy rains started.  Luckily I was on mute because the rain got heavy very suddenly and when there was a big lightning strike that sounded very close, I literally screamed.

Parts of CT down on the shore look a bit like louisiana but not on as big a scale.  There are buildings with roofs blown off.  Lots of tree/building/car damage.  I don't think there were any actual tornadoes but the wind gusts were approaching 100mph, perhaps only 70 at ground level.