Conti & The Nazi’s

ChrisL

A tidbit from the article:

It took Germany until 2000 to create a forced labour compensation fund which had paid more than 4.37 billion euros ($5.2 billion) to around 1.7 million victims by 2007. Contributors included Volkswagen, Deutsche Bank and Bayer.

I wonder why they didn't just "run out the clock" and claim no ties to the actions of their parents, grandparents, great grandparents, nor the cumulative benefits of immeasurable theft and ruthless murders.

Just now, Rick5234 said:

I'm pretty sure Mitsubishi built the engine for the zero's. 

I believe they built the entire plane. 

It was interesting to me that Continental came out with the info now.  It looks like they and several other companies that profited off the Nazi war machine paid repatriations but far too late IMHO.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It took Germany until 2000 to create a forced labour compensation fund which had paid more than 4.37 billion euros ($5.2 billion) to around 1.7 million victims by 2007. Contributors included Volkswagen, Deutsche Bank and Bayer.

I wonder why they didn't just "run out the clock" and claim no ties to the actions of their parents, grandparents, great grandparents, nor the cumulative benefits of immeasurable theft and ruthless murders.

Yeah I believe that was the case.

My dad never received his back pay for the 3 years he was a POW from the Dutch Govt.  The Dutch government then said oh well, he’s dead now... In the 1990’s my mom finally got his back pay with interest but it took a lot of legal wrangling.

I think there is a difference between making weapons of war as demanded by your government, and employing slave labor. So I see Porsche and Mitsubishi who made tanks and airplanes, apparently without slave labor, on a higher plane than say Conti and VW, who did use prisoners.

Now, you can probably argue that the companies themselves were forced by their government and army to employ such tactics. So it becomes a fine line between being complicit versus being strong-armed. 

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

In the 1990’s my mom finally got his back pay with interest but it took a lot of legal wrangling.

Don't mention that to some folks around here.  That's a non-starter.  Back pay to 40+ million folks for decades of work would be pretty hefty.

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I think there is a difference between making weapons of war as demanded by your government, and employing slave labor. So I see Porsche and Mitsubishi who made tanks and airplanes, apparently without slave labor, on a higher plane than say Conti and VW, who did use prisoners.

Now, you can probably argue that the companies themselves were forced by their government and army to employ such tactics. So it becomes a fine line between being complicit versus being strong-armed. 

And then there is Bayer, who made poison gas.

3 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Over 70 years ago? I can forgive. 

I think many Americans can but I do wonder what a Frenchman or a Russian who lost family in the war might feel about it.  

My parents, especially my dad took a deep hatred of all things Japanese to their graves.

28 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Because they know the difference between right and wrong?

“Business has a responsibility to help preserve democracy,” Degenhart told journalists, adding the study would feed into training programmes to promote social responsibility and help tackle racist and radical views.

18 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Don't mention that to some folks around here.  That's a non-starter.  Back pay to 40+ million folks for decades of work would be pretty hefty.

The crappy thing is they just kept kicking the can down the road... I get that the country was devastated after the war but by the 1960’s they could have, they just chose not to.  Bizarre to me really. 

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

You see this article on Continental?  So how do feel about them fancy tires now?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN25N1TL

They did what any other nationalist, loyal company out there would do.  There's a lot of that going on in this country right now.

They do have good tires.  I bought them once at Costco I believe.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Don't get too severe with past generations, otherwise the USA would have to give up a ton of land to Native Americans as well as the Southwest to Mexico, which was taken after the Mexican War that President Grant, who fought in it, called, the greatest injustice of a large power on a small power in history.

The English and Danes will have to give up England to Wales, the Turks will have to give up Constantinople and their Aegean Coast to the Greeks (it's still Constantinopolis on Greek maps), etc. etc. etc.

I think we've reached the point where things have gotten complicated.  For example, there have been movements to pay a fee to the descendants of former slaves in the USA. What about the descendants of the Chinese and Irish who worked and often died on the railroads for scandalously-low wages in the 1800's who received no benefit from pre-1860's slavery?

3 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Don't get too severe with past generations, otherwise the USA would have to give up a ton of land to Native Americans as well as the Southwest to Mexico, which was taken after the Mexican War that President Grant, who fought in it, called, the greatest injustice of a large power on a small power in history.

The English and Danes will have to give up England to Wales, the Turks will have to give up Constantinople and their Aegean Coast to the Greeks (it's still Constantinopolis on Greek maps), etc. etc. etc.

I think we've reached the point where things have gotten complicated.  For example, there have been movements to pay a fee to the descendants of former slaves in the USA. What about the descendants of the Chinese and Irish who worked and often died on the railroads for scandalously-low wages in the 1800's who received no benefit from pre-1860's slavery?

I agree, fuck it.  Reparations are stupid, you got ripped off and you just gotta deal.   If you don't get it in a few years, you gotta be stupid to expect it.  Every country has been conquered over and over, everybody has been enslaved, and none of it is exceedingly pleasant and nobody alive today was responsible for that old-timey crap.  Move along.

• Heart 2

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I agree, fuck it.  Reparations are stupid, you got ripped off and you just gotta deal.   If you don't get it in a few years, you gotta be stupid to expect it.  Every country has been conquered over and over, everybody has been enslaved, and none of it is exceedingly pleasant and nobody alive today was responsible for that old-timey crap.  Move along.

It’s easy to make these comments if you have never lost everything to an invading country.  My mom grew up with wealth & privilege and the Japanese took everything, including her dads life.  I bet my grandmother would have liked to have had her husband, home and her money back but it never happened.  

Yeah tuff luck move along is a bitter pill to swallow when it hits you personally.  I’d like the Japanese to pay my family back, apologize for killing both my grandfathers and nearly killing my dad.

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I bet my grandmother would have liked to have had her husband, home and her money back but it never happened.  

Yeah tuff luck move along is a bitter pill to swallow when it hits you personally.  I’d like the Japanese to pay my family back, apologize for killing both my grandfathers and nearly killing my dad.

Well shit, I meant more the broader sense going way back.  I don't mean the sting isn't there from recent generations, it most certainly is, especially as you see how it affects you.  Still, you can't count on countries paying financial reparations, your only choice is to get past it.

As someone of Irish descent, they have been shit on by England in particular for multiples of hundreds of years, and a bunch of others besides.  not a unique story.  Just have to lump it, no way of chasing people down or saying sorry in any meaningful way.  The perps are dead and long gone, at least the architects of it are.

• Hugs 1