So, if you were going to receive a power tool as a gift?

MoseySusan

11 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I always liked the radial arm saw. A router is a necessity for a lot of stuff. Get a router table too and it doubles what you can do with it.

Talk to me about this. What surface would you set this on to use it? I looked up DeWalt brand, and the miter cuts are exactly what he needs to build the things he wants to build. 

11 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I always liked the radial arm saw. A router is a necessity for a lot of stuff. Get a router table too and it doubles what you can do with it.

Norm Abrams did am entire project using nothing but a router.

To a swer Ms Rodesue's question... how detailed are you thinking on.  You can do some pretty detailed work with a Drumel.

The power miter saw is very versatile, a table saw is considered the foundation of a cabinet shop, a shaper or router + table does a lot of work for the money, a joiner + planner opens a whole new set of possibilities, add a band saw and you can start with firewood and turn out fine furniture

Bang for buck, the power miter saw  

• Awesome 1

52 minutes ago, roadsue said:

Circular hand saw with some degree of pivot, or radial arm miter saw? 

do not get a radial arm saw. Get a compound Miter saw. that will make your miters. Get a small one. Like 7" If you don't have a lot of miters to do it's easier to do it with a hand saw. The CMS is not intuitive (to me) I always made 47 cuts before I got close to the miter I wanted. And 73 more to get it correct

Kobalt Lowes 7-1/4-in 9-Amp Single Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

That’s the exact saw I was going to recommend. I walked out to the garage to take a picture of my saw table. My saw isn’t radial, they are better. If you don’t want to spend the money on a table that can be his first project to build a saw table. Lots of plans on the web.

853AB0BD-F1E3-4328-9C9F-703BB26B2A7B.thumb.png.41dd116b2657e4c00345f6e4086fa292.png

30 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I had my eye on something like that.

22 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

. Get a compound Miter saw. that will make your miters. Get a small one. Like 7" If you don't have a lot of miters to do

He’s going to build....wait for it...a shed.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

That’s the exact saw I was going to recommend. I walked out to the garage to take a picture of my saw table. My saw isn’t radial, they are better. If you don’t want to spend the money on a table that can be his first project to build a saw table. Lots of plans on the web.

853AB0BD-F1E3-4328-9C9F-703BB26B2A7B.thumb.png.41dd116b2657e4c00345f6e4086fa292.png

He’s building a table right now. 

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, roadsue said:

Right? 
It’s like the old saying, “you don’t bring hands to a knife fight.”

I come to you with only Karate, empty hands.
I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor, should it be a matter of life or death, of right or wrong; then here are my weapons, Karate, my empty hands.

• Heart 1

...at various times, I've had all of those tools. If you have room for it, the radial arm saw is probably the most useful all around. But it takes up a lot of space.

If I were to rate the joy per tool received factor, a new Husky chainsaw wins hands down.  Nobody I know has ever regretted getting a 24" bar chainsaw, except that one guy who cut his toe off.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, roadsue said:

You could plane a lot with one of those.

The spiral cutterhead is the big thing. I know a guy who has one and it's night and day better than the old school planers with knives.

With that and a portable sawmill I could really go to town. I already have the trees, the chainsaw and a skidder.

22 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

The spiral cutterhead is the big thing. I know a guy who has one and it's night and day better than the old school planers with knives.

With that and a portable sawmill I could really go to town. I already have the trees, the chainsaw and a skidder.

What kind of trees? 

3 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Cherry, maple and a shitload of red and white pine.

The person who did our built in shelving and wood paneling for pony walls used pine with elm veneers. They’re a little soft, but I like the views in the room. My tables are cherry. 
Get you one of those machines, and get to steppin’. 

D58E6F3A-A486-4450-AEC5-9A39555CFB72.thumb.jpeg.44bc763986a2b9959bf5c3f0ceaf4d5f.jpeg

Damned shame beech is worthless, I have a ton of beeches and sons of beeches. It's hard as iron and has nice grain but a pain in the ass to work with. It doesn't burn worth a shit, either, just smolders and stinks.

5 minutes ago, roadsue said:

Get you one of those machines, and get to steppin’. 

Yeah, that's going to have to wait 'til retirement. :(

5 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Damned shame beech is worthless, I have a ton of beeches and sons of beeches. It's hard as iron and has nice grain but a pain in the ass to work with. It doesn't burn worth a shit, either, just smolders and stinks.

Yeah, that's going to have to wait 'til retirement. :(

I always burned beech and never noticed a problem. Were you burning it in an open fireplace? I always used a wood stove or wood furnace. The forester that did our timber sale sold most of the beech. He said you need to get rid of those to make room for more valuable trees. I was burning beech tree tops for a couple years.

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

Were you burning it in an open fireplace?

Nope. Wood stove.

Good luck getting rid of beech, unless you rip the stumps out. It root suckers. Cut one down, it makes 87 to take its place. Kind of like roaches.

The understory up there is mostly beech. :(

2 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Nope. Wood stove.

Good luck getting rid of beech, unless you rip the stumps out. It root suckers. Cut one down, it makes 87 to take its place. Kind of like roaches.

The understory up there is mostly beech. :(

I think the forester used stump killer on the stumps. I moved after two years so I don’t know if they grew back.

I'm going to enjoy replacing all my power tools with State Farm's money when I move back into my house next year.

This, of course, is for indoor workshop stuff and doesn't include yard-work tools like chain saws.

If I was allowed one power tool, it would be a drill, though a jig saw is about as useful to me.  Those are my most-used power tools.

If it was a finer tool for wood, it would be a router.