Cop kills Hispanic man in self-defense in Maryland today

MickinMD

A Maryland State Trooper, a 3-year veteran, observed a vehicle weaving back and forth on I-95 in Howard County (in the center of Maryland).

The trooper pulled the vehicle over, approached the vehicle and the driver appeared intoxicated with visible alcohol bottles in his car.

The trooper waited for backup and then asked the driver to exit the car for a field sobriety test.  The driver refused, refused to provide information, and gave a false name.

The trooper leaned inside the vehicle and the driver drove off, with the trooper hanging from the window.

The trooper repeated told the driver to stop and told him he would otherwise shoot, as he was dragged 2000 feet, almost half a mile, down the highway!

The trooper then fired and was luckily flung off the erratically moving vehicle into the grass on the side of the road.  The car came to a rest nearby.

The trooper was found by another officer, lying in the grass and was transported to a hospital.  He was later ok enough to be released.

The driver was pronounced dead at the scene.  He is, by observation, a Hispanic male and his ID has not yet been determined.

Maryland's minorities have been very reasonable and civil throughout the protests this year. I don't expect any objection to the officer's actions.

As it should be.  Just because a policeman shoots someone doesn't mean that it's an automatic protest.  I question the wiseness of sticking you head into the car though, even in an attempt to grab the keys.  That's too close IMO, but what do I know.  Call for backup and have the dispatch center preauthorize an airstrike.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Just because a policeman shoots someone doesn't mean that it's an automatic protest.

I worry that that isn't true anymore.

This is a really good example of a huge part of the problem.  The Jacob Blake situation - only turned into a cop fearing he was reaching for a weapon because of what happened PRIOR to Blake trying to get in the car.  Procedures from the time the cruiser arrives on the scene need to be evaluated to keep these situations from getting out of control (I know, some are unavoidable).  

In this situation, why in the world was it neccessary for the cop to lean into that car?  Risk / reward was way out of whack, one man is dead, lucky 2 aren't.  Or innocent bystanders.

We really need to revisit the whole way the business is run.  The American system of prioritizing punishment over prevention doesn't keep society safe.

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

As attested to by the protests and violence following a suicide in Minneapolis. 

41 minutes ago, 12string said:

Yup.  Just rendered a whole lot of the work done so far useless

I too hope it hasn't gone too far to step back from.  I'm not sure it hasn't though.  Kenosha is a fine example of something that has happened over and over for the last few years and the fuse is lit now.