So should I sell the van on Craigslist or will the craigslist killer get me that way?

Ralphie

I have heard a lot of good aboot Facebook marketplace. My wife has Facebook but I do not. Which should I try?

The van has a ton of problems which I will fully disclose but I still think I can get around $1000 for it. What do you think?  It has an excellent body and interior and engine but the trans leaks like a sieve and may crap oot at any time.  New tires but it will eat them eventually. I will tell them all that. Will they still come back and murder us when it craps oot?  The title has our address and so does google so nothing clandestine is possible. 

54 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I have heard a lot of good aboot Facebook marketplace. My wife has Facebook but I do not. Which should I try?

The van has a ton of problems which I will fully disclose but I still think I can get around $1000 for it. What do you think?  It has an excellent body and interior and engine but the trans leaks like a sieve and may crap oot at any time.  New tires but it will eat them eventually. I will tell them all that. Will they still come back and murder us when it craps oot?  The title has our address and so does google so nothing clandestine is possible. 

Find one of those places that trades for planes, trains, tractors or sheep and get something for it.  Don't sell it to anyone who knows you and especially don't sell it to family or friends.  They always come back, even if it's just a vague dig at some future gathering.

Donate to an auto shop school or church and get less but gain a bit on taxes.

5 minutes ago, 12string said:

I think I can help.  My boss needs a van, he asked me to buy one for him while he's out of town.  But he only gave me a check for $6000.  Just give me the van and $5000 cash and you'll never hear from me again!

You need to sweeten the deal.  Make the check for $4000 and he can pocket an extra grand for going along.

36 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Find one of those places that trades for planes, trains, tractors or sheep and get something for it.  Don't sell it to anyone who knows you and especially don't sell it to family or friends.  They always come back, even if it's just a vague dig at some future gathering.

Donate to an auto shop school or church and get less but gain a bit on taxes.

Tax deductions are a thing of the past.  I would like to see it go to someone who will appreciate and use it rather than junk it.  Most places where you donate it just send it to auction.

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

I sold my jeep on CL and it went fine.  It wasn’t running so no chance he was going to drive off in it.  I also had someone with me just in case.

I have actually sold a couple of bikes and weights on CL and each transaction went well.

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Take it to CarMax for an offer.  

I was going to suggest the same but it sounds like he wants a person who could use it have it.

FYI my daughters FIL sells cars and he recommended I go to CarMax for a quote and then negotiate trade in.  When I bought my Subie they tried to undercut me $1,500 on trade in.  I showed them my CarMax quote and they stopped haggling me.   We haggled price on the new car but they 100% honored the CarMax report.

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I was going to suggest the same but it sounds like he wants a person who could use it have it.

FYI my daughters FIL sells cars and he recommended I go to CarMax for a quote and then negotiate trade in.  When I bought my Subie they tried to undercut me $1,500 on trade in.  I showed them my CarMax quote and they stopped haggling me.   We haggled price on the new car but they 100% honored the CarMax report.

My mother took my dad's truck to CarMax when he had to quit driving.  They offered her quite a bit more than the note on it.  She took their offer.  Easy exit.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

My mother took my dad's truck to CarMax when he had to quit driving.  They offered her quite a bit more than the note on it.  She took their offer.  Easy exit.

I have purchased a couple of cars from CarMax and I always say: You may not get the best deal at CarMax but you will get a fair deal.  I always include them when car shopping.