Finalizing the home plan

Dirtyhip

9 hours ago, Dottles said:

I just have a question why the master bathroom is hidden behind the closet?

We had this strange kickout master closet before.  Bikeman suggested we just flip the rooms and use the excess space on the other side of the home.  Putting the closet as a pass through, you can keep the plumbing on the same wall, thus making construction easier (cheaper).

The other option would be to put that big closet behind the closet.  I like the idea of a walk through closet to the bath.  

This is more opulent, but same idea.  

I think our designed was playing off this plan that we showed him.  We had to really modify.  I mean, we really loved this, but we can't don't want to afford this cost. Two story porch with a 12/12 roof pitch and huge vaulted ceiling.  We will have a small vault, and 5/12 or 6/12 pitch.

https://markstewart.com/house-plans/cottage-house-plans/farm-640-heritage/

We are super concerned about cost.

9 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

I like this plan...   

Obviously you do too. :cheerleader:

Thank you.  I think it was you that suggested just using that extra corner space and avoiding the strange kickout.  You saved the house.  Although, it got about 130 feet bigger.  It is inexpensive sq. ft, because now we have fewer corners.  Corners cost money.

bath.jpg

• Heart 1

Next steps we would like to do this year:

Get actual drawings for bids.

Get site plan approved by county.

Excavate and level for home, container box.

Get well plan approved and drill well.  

Pour foundation if we get this far before the weather gets bad.  

<winter>  Nothing will really happen during this time.

<spring> Install temp panel for power.  List home, and move to the trailer during the home build.

<summer> Finish up home build.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

We had this strange kickout master closet before.  Bikeguy suggested we just flip the rooms and use the excess space on the other side of the home.  Putting the closet as a pass through, you can keep the plumbing on the same wall, thus making construction easier (cheaper).

The other option would be to put that big closet behind the closet.  I like the idea of a walk through closet to the bath.  

This is more opulent, but same idea.  

I think our designed was playing off this plan that we showed him.  We had to really modify.  I mean, we really loved this, but we can't don't want to afford this cost. Two story porch with a 12/12 roof pitch and huge vaulted ceiling.  We will have a small vault, and 5/12 or 6/12 pitch.

https://markstewart.com/house-plans/cottage-house-plans/farm-640-heritage/

We are super concerned about cost.

The other thing that was gained by having the walk thru closet....  If the bathroom was first and you walked thru that, and something has be eliminated from the bathroom floor plan as it is now drawn because you would need 2 doors in the bathroom to walk to closet.  The the wall space in the bathroom is now used up with just the 1 door.   

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

You saved the house. 

Wait for my bill for consulting services.   ;)

5 minutes ago, Longjohn said:
3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

It is inexpensive sq. ft, because now we have fewer corners.  Corners cost money.

So you are saying that you cut corners on this build?

Corners are indeed expensive.

When I visited our insurance agent to purchase insurance or the new home one of the first questions I was asked, was how many corners does the home have.  I was like??? I have no idea.   I had to go and get the prints for the home and return to the insurance agent.    We have a lot of corners...   The next question was how many windows?  I was glad I had the prints for home.

4 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

We had this strange kickout master closet before.  Bikeman suggested we just flip the rooms and use the excess space on the other side of the home.  Putting the closet as a pass through, you can keep the plumbing on the same wall, thus making construction easier (cheaper).

I guess you don't have to walk through a stinky poo to get your outfit -- so there's that.  But the plumbing on the same wall makes a lot of sense.  Cut's down on the points of failure too.

2 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

The other thing that was gained by having the walk thru closet....  If the bathroom was first and you walked thru that, and something has be eliminated from the bathroom floor plan as it is now drawn because you would need 2 doors in the bathroom to walk to closet.  The the wall space in the bathroom is now used up with just the 1 door.   

Wait for my bill for consulting services.   ;)

HAHA.  

BTW, There are two pocket doors, in that pass through WIC.  I guess, we don't have to install both.  Honestly, I hate swing doors in certain places.  They take up space and are they are expensive.   

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

So you are saying that you cut corners on this build?

DUDE!  You are on a roll.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

There are two pocket doors, in that pass through WIC.  I guess, we don't have to install both.  Honestly, I hate swing doors in certain places. 

We like pocket doors too.   They have a place in our home.   We have a pocket door between our kitchen and our sun room, just to eliminate the swinging door that would be in the way.  No room for an open door in the kitchen or in the sun room.

We would have had one more pocket door, but there were too many things already in the walls.  Light switches need a place, there were vent pipes for the plumbing, heat ducts and water pipes.  Our power room really should have a pocket door but the room is small and therefore not much wall space.  We should have figured that out before the plumber and electrician, and heating guy did their thing.  A pocket door would have been so much better.

One more thing to consider, how many patio days a year will you have?  You may want to consider screening it during the build. You will save a significant amount of money screening during the build versus a retro job. I know this from experience. If you plan to use that area a lot it would be worth a couple thousand dollars up front. No one wants flies around one of your fabulous meals.  Thinking about living in each space is essential.

2 minutes ago, Airehead said:

One more thing to consider, how many patio days a year will you have?  You may want to consider screening it during the build. You will save a significant amount of money screening during the build versus a retro job. I know this from experience. If you plan to use that area a lot it would be worth a couple thousand dollars up front. No one wants flies around one of your fabulous meals.  Thinking about living in each space is essential.

Thank for the idea.  We don't want to screen off the view through.  If it is buggy, we will be in the living room.  We don't often eat outdoors.  Wind or a breeze is annoying, IMHO.  

I appreciate the comment.  It just isn't a way we live much at all.  We don't even own an outdoor table for dining.   hehe

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

Thank for the idea.  We don't want to screen off the view through.  If it is buggy, we will be in the living room.  We don't often eat outdoors.  Wind or a breeze is annoying, IMHO.  

I appreciate the comment.  It just isn't a way we live much at all.  We don't even own an outdoor table for dining.   hehe

Any decision is correct as long as it has been thoughtful. Now screen for you. 

One other suggestion... 

In all of our bedrooms we have a ceiling mounted light.   The electronica suggested, that we should install the wires from the light to to the wall switch for a ceiling fan.  We told him we weren't going to install ceiling fans.   He said... years from now when you want to install a ceiling fan, it's a good thing to have all of the wires installed now for a wall mounted control... just in case...  (we have tall ceilings in the bedrooms).  He installed the wiring, just in case.  

19 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Any decision is correct as long as it has been thoughtful. Now screen for you. 

:)  Sometimes, the ceiling fan puts me over the edge, when I am trying to eat.  TURN THAT OFF!  The wind sucks, right @Philander Seabury?  HAHA

14 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

One other suggestion... 

In all of our bedrooms we have a ceiling mounted light.   The electronica suggested, that we should install the wires from the light to to the wall switch for a ceiling fan.  We told him we weren't going to install ceiling fans.   He said... years from now when you want to install a ceiling fan, it's a good thing to have all of the wires installed now for a wall mounted control... just in case...  (we have tall ceilings in the bedrooms).  He installed the wiring, just in case.  

Oh, yes.  Ceiling fans in many places.  We also will have central air.  First home I will have ever owned with air con.

I think my hubby is all over that idea.  I will remind him and ask.