Bilingual or sort of on the job

shootingstar

2011 census for Metro Vancouver..kinda old.  Languages that people use in the workplace, with gender columns breakdown.

Non-official language in Canada by law, means any other language that is not English, not French.

Yes, I have basic fluency of non-official language but I never use it at work because I'm not required to speak my mother tongue on the job.  I'm an allophone...means I'm not an anglophone nor a francophone.  I've highlighted the rows where residents use more than 1 language on the job...which should always be considered a good strength.

I also think people who get freaked out over "too many" immigrants should lay off. Alot more new immigrants these days start off in Canada know abit more English than 50 yrs. ago.

AND alot of non-white faces, are 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation now. Loss of their mother tongue.

Male                         Female

image.thumb.png.7b3d1a70707c892caa9f7c6bc57b34a9.png

I think knowing other languages at the business level is an edge. Einstein could speak engineering in Korean and German. It allowed him to work and live in many interesting places even though English was predominantly the language of business 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

I think knowing other languages at the business level is an edge. Einstein could speak engineering in Korean and German. It allowed him to work and live in many interesting places even though English was predominantly the language of business 

Since I worked for a German global engineering firm for 3 years in Metro VAncovuer where there a few Asian descent engineers and technical staff direct from Philippines, I can't explain but the baseline cultures of Germany and some of the Asian countries, do complement/fit well..... technically focused, on time , etc. in the workplace. I don't know hardly any German even after knowing dearie for last 28 yrs.....just less than 10 words.  But sort of understood some underlying tendencies.