When the girls are not pushing me

Dirtyhip

No one pushes me and no one has for a long time. I set my own pace in life...and on the bike. I want to ride for many years..and it's not going to work for me, if it means getting depressed or self-whip myself about my "performance".  I have to enjoy my exercise.... measuring myself is secondary.

Cycling needs to remain part of my body movement and the only way to do it for me, it needs to remain like breathing for me....I do it not because I'm pushing myself, it is for my fitness survival, like breathing is for survival.

Come to think of it, I have to bike anyway..to get my food, etc.  

23 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

No one pushes me and no one has for a long time. I set my own pace in life...and on the bike. I want to ride for many years..and it's not going to work for me, if it means getting depressed or self-whip myself about my "performance".  I have to enjoy my exercise.... measuring myself is secondary.

Cycling needs to remain part of my body movement and the only way to do it for me, it needs to remain like breathing for me....I do it not because I'm pushing myself, it is for my fitness survival, like breathing is for survival.

Come to think of it, I have to bike anyway..to get my food, etc.  

What would make me depressed would be to watch my friends leave me behind, because I could not complete their ride.  Tearing my body down with some punishment like this keeps me really strong.  The extremely hard rides make the shorter rides a breeze.  

Mountain biking takes training.  This was just a training day.  My friends are so crazy strong and I hang out with some of the strongest in my town.  I have to do this, if I want to continue to hang out with them on a bike.   This means entering into the pain cave for training.

Maybe I enjoy a little pain.  I endured two and half hours of it today.  I feel so accomplished right now, and I am listening to easy music with my feet up. 

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Personal reasons, and the drive to keep striving forward.  As I get older, this becomes much harder on me. @Square Wheels @bikeman564™  Please explain to FSOG this kind of inner drive.

...and from my cold dead hands.

Sometimes ya have personal goals to achieve a victory. I can relate, in regard to miles ridden goals for instance. Or 200 something consecutive days :o

• Awesome 1

15 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

What would make me depressed would be to watch my friends leave me behind, because I could not complete their ride.  Tearing my body down with some punishment like this keeps me really strong.  The extremely hard rides make the shorter rides a breeze.  

Mountain biking takes training.  This was just a training day.  My friends are so crazy strong and I hang out with some of the strongest in my town.  I have to do this, if I want to continue to hang out with them on a bike.   This means entering into the pain cave for training.

Maybe I enjoy a little pain.  I endured two and half hours of it today.  I feel so accomplished right now, and I am listening to easy music with my feet up. 

For sure, I would feel abit sad to be left behind by friends. As long as they waited for me somewhere up ahead. Or if I knew where we were heading, I would end up going home alone.

There is some minor pain also as you might know, to cycle 45 km. with 15 lbs. of groceries up and down some hills. The difference is I do most of this alone.  Dearie is in another city right now. And a local friend can't bike 'cause she's trying to heal her wrists from carpal tunnel sydrome and tenditis in her arms.  (too much iphoning & too much use of small iPad.  Not good ergonomics.)

you and I are abit different.

Work right now is a challenge...with new boss and some uncertainty plus some looming workloads ahead.  Being too hard on myself, would not be a good thing for me. LIke it or not, there is some competition in the workplace...it's been friendly competition so far but it might take a more serious turn due to people wanting to hang onto jobs.

1 minute ago, bikeman564™ said:

Sometimes ya have personal goals to achieve a victory. I can relate, in regard to miles ridden goals for instance. Or 200 something consecutive days :o

Excellent.  I have missed some days, for rest or whatnot.  Also, my Strava is way wrong.  I skip on uploads all the time.  I upload the stuff I find important, or if I am hauling ass seeking a QOM on some DH segments.  Glitter is nice.

I tied my QOM pace on one segment today.  BOOM!  

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

For sure, I would feel abit sad to be left behind by friends. As long as they waited for me somewhere up ahead. Or if I knew where were heading, I would end up going home alone.

There is pain also as you might know, to cycle 45 km. with 15 lbs. of groceries up and down some hills. The difference is I do most of this alone.  Dearie is in another city right now. And a local friend can't bike 'cause she's trying to heal her wrists from carpal tunnel sydrome and tenditis in her arms.  (too much iphoning & too much use of small iPad.  Not good ergonomics.)

I think you misunderstand me.  They will wait at the top of climbs.  You just have to stay trained, if you want to do a big loop with 2000+ ft in climbing.  That is very hard.  Someday I will not be able to do this, but until that day, I have to enter the pain cave.

14 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I think you misunderstand me.  They will wait at the top of climbs.  You just have to stay trained, if you want to do a big loop with 2000+ ft in climbing.  That is very hard.  Someday I will not be able to do this, but until that day, I have to enter the pain cave.

That's great.  Continue on.

I'm going solo...because I haven't figured out who to ride with where I live or maybe I just can't be bothered to figure it out.  Covid makes it more complicated to start new with a group.  However i can't sit around and wait for a female cycling same-spirit to show up in life.

I don’t usually push anybody but I did push Petite down the Big Savage Mountain. All day long I told her she could coast for 26 miles down the mountain. By the time we crossed the continental divide we were about out of daylight. I apologized for telling her she was going to have to pedal but we were out of daylight. She did good, averaged 17 mph on the stone trail decent. We still rode the last few miles in the dark. We need to do that trip again so she can coast down the mountain.

• Heart 2