Audiophile

Allen

13 minutes ago, Allen said:

I was over at a friend’s house tonight. He has a ridiculous hi-fi system and just bought some new vinyl (Shostakovich). 
Vinyl really does sound better. 
Tonight got me wanting to build a good sound system again. It’s a hobby I could enjoy well into my feeble years. 

The only problem is all the circuit cities closed... 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

The only problem is all the circuit cities closed... 

He said hi-fi.  ;)

37 minutes ago, Allen said:

Tonight got me wanting to build a good sound system again.

The one thing I learned over the years... you need GREAT speakers.  And of course a room that has good acoustic properties.   Then start selecting the electronics and turntable.

• Heart 2

I fancied myself an audiophile at one point in my life.  My college room mate and I did a bit of DJ on the side at Texas A&M.  Had an Adcom GFA 1-A amp and some nice Cerwin Vega speakers.  The receiver, CD play, turn tables, cassette decks were all Sony stuff.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I fancied myself an audiophile at one point in my life.  My college room mate and I did a bit of DJ on the side at Texas A&M.  Had an Adcom GFA 1-A amp and some nice Cerwin Vega speakers.  The receiver, CD play, turn tables, cassette decks were all Sony stuff.

I used to have an ok sound system after college. But I lost it in an apartment fire and never replaced it. I may have to fix that. 

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Allen said:

I was over at a friend’s house tonight. He has a ridiculous hi-fi system and just bought some new vinyl (Shostakovich). 
Vinyl really does sound better. 
Tonight got me wanting to build a good sound system again. It’s a hobby I could enjoy well into my feeble years. 

Only if you get an ear transplant.

• Heart 2

While I wouldn't consider mine great, it is certainly more than adequate. Turntable vintage remnant never got rid of and higher end Yamaha receiver...but receiver means home theater vs dedicated pre-amp and stereo specific amp. Custom built the speakers from this http://www.zaphaudio.com/SR71.html. Didn't order the Madisound kit, but custom built the enclosure and assembled the crossover from premium components. Currently set up as HT as primary with center channel (also built while not not matching, similar acoustic design) and sub, two speaker music secondary. 

Looking at disassembling with re-design of living room. Getting speaker stands out would make wife happy. Go to high end soundbar for TV (Probably Sonus Arc...or if really splurged, the Sennheiser. ( https://www.crutchfield.com/p_143AMBEOSB/Sennheiser-AMBEO-Soundbar.html?tp=47366.) Assemble a dedicated music room with the other components either in my office or one of the spare bedrooms.

• Heart 1

Back in the day, JVC made some pretty decent mid-level audio. I had an amp, tuner, cassette and turntable from them. I replaced the turntable with an AR from the mid 60s and a friend sold me his Altec Santana II speakers when he moved away. I was very happy with the system for many years. 
I still have most of those pieces but time has taken its toll on some of them. I replaced the foam surrounds, but one of the woofer cones has a buzz and one tweeter is intermittent. I replaced them with some Polk bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer. 
My JVC amp is getting sketchy on one channel. I tried some contact cleaner, but no luck. Onkyo has a stereo receiver that is reasonably priced. I like the AV receiver I have from them in the family room. 
I would like to put a modern tone arm on the turntable. At the moment, it will be more cost effective to buy one from U-turn audio. We bought one for my son and he loves it!

• Heart 1

I had a nice set of JVC speakers and a Yamaha receiver and Yamaha turntable.  At some point in amongst the growing family we stopped using it and I have no idea what happened to the components.  I guessing they went in a garage sale years ago.

I am the furthest thing from an audiophile.  

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, groupw said:

I still have most of those pieces but time has taken its toll on some of them.

I still have the Kenwood receiver and EPI speakers I bought in '79. I had to re-do the foam surrounds on the woofers but they're still working fine - even though they've been demoted to basement duty. The Kenwood still works but has a crackle in the A/B speaker switch - probably a little contact cleaner would do the trick.  The Realistic EQ and JVC cassette deck I had are long gone somewhere.

I gave my Technics SLD-2 turntable (with an AudioTechnica AT3500ED cartridge)* to my sister along with all my vinyl.

*Why do I still remember useless info like this?

5 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Holy hell.

Exactly...  

I was just looking, and I'd probably buy McIntosh pre amp and power amp for the speakers.  Just a 2 channel stereo system. 

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/preamplifiers/C53

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/amplifiers/MC462

I would use my old direct drive turntable.  Still works just fine.

Klipsch and McIntosh are both made in the USA.

1 minute ago, Bikeguy said:

Klipsch and McIntosh are both made in the USA.

Sadly, I pretty much never really listen anymore and I doubt that my hearing is what it once was, I have a Denon home theater receiver running through speakers from these guys...but 90% of the time at home, I'm listening through Zone 2 which is the Polk bookshelf speakers I have in my kitchen. The rest of the time I'm in the truck or have my airpods in. 

Once in a great while, I will sit down and watch/listen to a concert bluray, but that's pretty rare.

1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I still have the Kenwood receiver and EPI speakers I bought in '79. I had to re-do the foam surrounds on the woofers but they're still working fine - even though they've been demoted to basement duty. The Kenwood still works but has a crackle in the A/B speaker switch - probably a little contact cleaner would do the trick.  The Realistic EQ and JVC cassette deck I had are long gone somewhere.

I gave my Technics SLD-2 turntable (with an AudioTechnica AT3500ED cartridge)* to my sister along with all my vinyl.

*Why do I still remember useless info like this?

While I still have the JVC turntable, my EPI speakers are now stored in the attic.  I also had to replace the foam in the woofers (and probably have yo again) the piezo-electric tweeters were sweet. The biggest difficulty was the 4 ohm power draw which really impacted expanding the system to a 3.1 or 5.1. That is why I built the replacements.

21 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

have a Denon home theater receiver running through speakers from these guys...

This is our TV. (if you an call it that)  Which we use most of the time.

I have a Yamaha A/V receiver, Klipsch Reference 7 surround speakers,  and a old Panasonic plasma screen (with no speakers, it won't die... but the picture still looks OK), the cable box, blu-ray player, the Technics direct drive turntable, and even an old VCR which we never use.   And last but not least a Harmony universal remote to eliminate all of the individual remotes. 

When the plasma screen dies (or gets replaced) a LG OLED will be used.