How.....

F_in Ray Of Sunshine

2 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Fair point, but it wasn't in the rack this morning.

But then, someone who hasn't enough smarts to ask the question "is this right?" may be dumb enough to have a bike they push everywhere.

Did you test them to see if they spun easily?  Someone could be effing with that person!  Or, maybe they're a fan of slow speed riding.  Under 5mph, who needs brakes when you have two feet?

4 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I'm thinking the apathetic clown at walmart who assembled it. I've seen this before, but never one in the wild.

Do you think @Dirtyhip is aware of this????  She needs to consider dumping her S-Works and get serious about hanging with the Girls!

image.png.c7b065c0cdcb8025f35b0bc52d9d5140.png

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Assembled by a big box store like Walmart. 

I saw one on a display for some crappy beer  contest in Wegman's that had the handlebars on like that and the fork backwards.

I would have loved to have won it, just so I could tell them I didn't want it.

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Do you think @Dirtyhip is aware of this????  She needs to consider dumping her S-Works and get serious about hanging with the Girls!

image.png.c7b065c0cdcb8025f35b0bc52d9d5140.png

Sssshhh. It's my secret weapon. I gonna use it to crush all her Strava segments under an assumed name (and gender)

• Haha 1

I can understand the rotated drop bar - I don't do well for long periods bent over and my next bike will be a hybrid or mountain bike with a straight bar.

But the straight bar with the handles tilting forward and the brake levers up in the air makes no sense to me - there are too many times I need my thumb on the brakes ASAP, either because I or someone else did something stupid, to ride such a thing.

1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I saw one on a display for some crappy beer  contest in Wegman's that had the handlebars on like that and the fork backwards.

I would have loved to have won it, just so I could tell them I didn't want it.

You should start keeping a multitool in your back pocket, so when you see these things "in the wild", you can just do a quick fix and bring the universe back into alignment.

2 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

My Dad bought me a used Varsity in 1983 IIRC. Blue. He stripped it, painted it red, and fixed it up for me

Closest I had was a Columbia I stole out of my neighbor's barn. (They never used it, so I preferred to think of it as "liberating it"). I stripped it and repainted it with a cool yellow/orange/red fade paint job - way before that was a thing.

Every bike I ever had until I was 19 was a hand-me-down or built from scrounged parts. 

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Fair point, but it wasn't in the rack this morning.

But then, someone who hasn't enough smarts to ask the question "is this right?" may be dumb enough to have a bike they push everywhere.

There was a guy that worked out by the interstate (Burger King, motel, or gas station) I would always see him pushing his bike. It was a stuffmart mountain bike so it should have had gears. There are gentle rolling hills but nothing that should have you walking on. I’ve seen him pushing his bike around in town too. I think some people just like to push their bikes.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

I’ve seen him pushing his bike around in town too. I think some people just like to push their bikes.

You might be right. It always makes me shake my head to see people pushing bikes - usually mountain bikes, besides - up over the Thruway overpass. 

It'd be be less work to ride the damned thing! Hell, even the BMX kids ride over it.

• Haha 1