My new time waster

team scooter

The American Integrity (a thousand footer) is set to arrive in Duluth in a half hour. You can see her three miles oot. I can watch this stuff for hours. I'd like to take a trip out that way this fall. But no one else wants to go. Looks like it might be me and Maggie again. My new travel companion. ;)

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, team scooter said:

The American Integrity (a thousand footer) is set to arrive in Duluth in a half hour. You can see her three miles oot. I can watch this stuff for hours. I'd like to take a trip out that way this fall. But no one else wants to go. Looks like it might be me and Maggie again. My new travel companion. ;)

Me too. I've been to the Soo locks Sault Ste. Marie. Fun watching the locks.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, team scooter said:

This site shows all the ships in the harbor.  https://harborlookout.com/ships#0

I guess the Herbert C Jackson (a 700 footer) is still in the dock.

Someone go wake Herbie up and tell him to weigh anchor and batten down the hatches and get haze gray and underway!  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

The big thing in Maryland is not the 1000 footer freighters - though they're cool: I worked in a Baltimore shipyard during a college summer. You can get lost in them and climbing the gangplank is a scary thrill!

Thousands go out into the Bay in boats or on shore to see the Tall Ships: 1800's-style ships with tall masts and sails.  Baltimore is a stop in the Round the World and Atlantic races and many countries have goodwill ships with tall masts and sails that dock at Baltimore's Inner Harbor and you can do a tour.

We also have the controversially called "Oldest Ship in the Navy," the USS Constellation at the Inner Harbor.  You can do a tour of her, too and maybe see a ghost!

One late evening, a Catholic Priest boarded the Constellation.  A man dressed in an early-1800's U.S. sailor's uniform met the Priest and began to give him a guided tour.  They went below deck and the sailor pointed out various things, including holes that he said once held the hooks where they hung their hammocks when they went to sleep.

The Priest made his way back to the top deck.  He told an official there, "That was a great, informative tour the guy dressed like a sailor gave!"

The official said, "Father, you were the only person below decks. We have no guy dressed as a sailor."

They went below and could not find the guy.  The reason for the holes (that held hammock hooks) had not been known before the Priest told his story!

• Heart 2