When your favorite craftsman becomes too successful

Allen

20+ years ago I threw down on a pair of custom straight razors. One of my better purchases because they have cut sublimely for over two decades now. But the scales are wood and although they have years of service left they are showing some wear. So I contacted the maker (who answers his own phone, gotta love that) and replacement scales are no big deal but there is a couple month wait. I understand there is a wait time for hand crafted items so I went ahead and ordered them. 

While I had him on the phone I inquired about a new razor. Can’t get one. Like Richard Sachs, he capped his wait list when it grew to ten years.   Glad I got my razors when I did. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

Why don’t they call it a handle? :scratchhead:

Sorry for sounding like a pedant.
It comes from knife making. The wood that is bolted to the sides of your kitchen knives are the scales. They and the tang (the metal tail end of the knife that they are bolted to)) together compose the handle.  On a straight razor the blade folds out of the scales like on a pocket knife. 

2 hours ago, Allen said:

20+ years ago I threw down on a pair of custom straight razors. One of my better purchases because they have cut sublimely for over two decades now. But the scales are wood and although they have years of service left they are showing some wear. So I contacted the maker (who answers his own phone, gotta love that) and replacement scales are no big deal but there is a couple month wait. I understand there is a wait time for hand crafted items so I went ahead and ordered them. 

While I had him on the phone I inquired about a new razor. Can’t get one. Like Richard Sachs, he capped his wait list when it grew to ten years.   Glad I got my razors when I did. 

I thought it was bad when I discovered that the best custom RC drag parts were running about 3 months wait list.  A lot of the custom carbon fiber and 3d printing shops are one man shops and they take custom orders that have many weeks lead time.  A 10 year wait list however might have me looking for another source.