Jump to content

Do any of you keep a kosher home?


Airehead
 Share

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Why?

I figured you most likely to ask. We have to get a medication for Lindy.   When looking it up I read this:  Visbiome Vet is Kosher and Halal certified.   I wondered if this was necessary because it must be stored in the fridge and maybe someone who kept a kosher house would not store something not kosher in their fridge. Then they might need to buy a separate fridge just for dog meds. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like bacon too much to keep a kosher home. Plus having two dishwashers seems a bit much. I didn't know what a Sabbath oven function was until I looked it up on the googler. You program your oven to cook on the Sabbath the day before because turning the oven on is considered "work" on the Sabbath. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I figured you most likely to ask. We have to get a medication for Lindy.   When looking it up I read this:  Visbiome Vet is Kosher and Halal certified.   I wondered if this was necessary because it must be stored in the fridge and maybe someone who kept a kosher house would not store something not kosher in their fridge. Then they might need to buy a separate fridge just for dog meds. 

I texted a friend. She said she kosher and non kosher items can be kept in the same fridge. They need to be separated and in their own containers. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

I like bacon too much to keep a kosher home. Plus having two dishwashers seems a bit much. I didn't know what a Sabbath oven function was until I looked it up on the googler. You program your oven to cook on the Sabbath the day before because turning the oven on is considered "work" on the Sabbath. 

I could never be kosher because that is simply just a stupid level of maintenance, never mind the zero rational reasons for not eating certain foods.  Yikes!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Allen said:

I texted a friend. She said she kosher and non kosher items can be kept in the same fridge. They need to be separated and in their own containers. 

That sounds a bit less high maintenance, but aren't all things in a fridge kept in their own containers?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From a random website I found:

Quote

Refrigerators and Freezers: These may be used for all food types. However, separate areas should be designated for meat and dairy foods. Sometimes a shelf or the door of the refrigerator or freezer is kept for dairy. If dairy is kept on a shelf inside the refrigerator, one should cover the shelf with aluminum foil or a plastic liner to prevent leakage onto other foods. If dairy drips on the foil, the foil must be carefully removed and replaced. Similar care must be taken with meat products inside the refrigerator.

One should avoid placing hot meat or hot dairy foods in the refrigerator, as this may affect the other foods in the refrigerator and cause kashrut problems.

I gather the containers are supposed to be sufficient to prevent leakage, but this become more significant in a communal refrigerator such as at work where you need extra precautions to make sure there is no leakage or tampering with the food.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Allen said:

My friend texted back. She also said you are supposed to unscrew the light in the fridge on the day before the sabbath, and screw it back in the day after the sabbath. She did not explain as to why. 

I  think the light is problematic because it goes on and off based on the person opening the door, so the person is effectively turning on the light which is one of the prohibited activities. on the Sabbath.  Lights need to be passive such as on timers.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Allen said:

I texted a friend. She said she kosher and non kosher items can be kept in the same fridge. They need to be separated and in their own containers. 

Thanks. So I still am wondering about the kosher vet meds.  Maybe orthodox people abide by kosher guidance in caring/feeding their pets too?

Along with the ovens, there are lots of hotels with Shabbat elevators that are set to stop at every floor to avoid the work of button pushing.    Helps keep the rule of not creating sparks or fire which has come to include electrical equipment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

I like the cinnamon crunch bagels from Panera.  Those are dope.  Hope the waiting goes well.  Good luck!

Savory bagels are better

3 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Who would have thunk it?  I didn't even know that this was a thing.

Our new appliances have Shabbatt setting. You can set the fridge not to turn the light on Friday and Saturday. You can also preset the oven to turn on by itself. I set the light to go off just to worry Einstein. He figured it out when reading the manual about the fridge lighting. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...