I love Giant bikes

Dirtyhip

14 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah happy Anthem owner here.  

They aren’t the most bling brand and are a bit slow to adopt changing trends but they make a quality product at a great price. Even their accessories seem nice. I have one of their MIPs helmets which I like. 

They are one of the "big 3."

Specialized, Trek and Giant

• Heart 1

Just now, Mr. Grumpy said:

I've always seen Giant's role in the Big 3 to be the same as Chrysler 

I’m not sure what you mean by that? Chrysler as of the past 30 years was the crap brand compared to GM & Ford.  Giant does not fill that niche in the bike industry.

Giant is unique in that they make their own carbon weaves, they don’t buy pre preg and don’t outsource their builds where as many bike brands have giant build their bikes.

They really just lack the wow factor that many brands have. Some lust over Trek Emonda or Specialized Tarmac or Roubaix but it seems people don’t list over a Propel or Defy.  

The Trance & Reign have a strong following on the MTB side.

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I’m not sure what you mean by that? Chrysler as of the past 30 years was the crap brand compared to GM & Ford.  Giant does not fill that niche in the bike industry.

I didn't mean it to come across as a slam against Giant.  Like I said, I like my Talon which is at the more economical end of their offerings.  I was just saying they're not as sexy as Trek or Specialized.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

They really just lack the wow factor that many brands have. 

I know.  This is just so strange.  I have even been guilty of this..."But, It's a Giant."

My Giant seek has been one of the best bikes I have ever owned.  It is a bombproof little beast.  I think I have 10,000 miles on that thing.  I never tune it.  I treat it like shit.  It just runs. 

It gets slightly cranky when the chain get slappy.  HAHA  Of course, it does.  Like any bike.

• Heart 2

My first modern road bike was an OCR3. I upgraded to and OCR1. Put about 20,000 on it before I got the Stradalli. I was saving for a TCR, but I couldn’t pass on the price. 
my commuter is a Transend DX. WoW has an OCR2 and a Sedona. Our LBS is primarily a Giant shop so that has an effect, but they are very good bikes!

5 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

They are one of the "big 3."

Specialized, Trek and Giant

...they have been making bikes for years under contract specs for other companies/marques.  

I never understood why all that stuff about who makes what that gets sold as whatever is so secretive.

I would love to know who actually manufactured some of my road frames.

3 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

I would love to know who actually manufactured some of my road frames.

In hindsight I wish I wasn’t such a euro snob when it came to bikes.  I learned over time to appreciate a Miyata, Fuji or Nishiki bike from back in the day. Suntour, please, Campy or nothing... I know I was that guy... 

Was there a lot of contracting of the euro brands?

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

In hindsight I wish I wasn’t such a euro snob when it came to bikes.  I learned over time to appreciate a Miyata, Fuji or Nishiki bike from back in the day. Suntour, please, Campy or nothing... I know I was that guy... 

Was there a lot of contracting of the euro brands?

...the true maker of many of my nicer Italian frames is shrouded in mystery. I go to some obscure site on the internet to read up on one or the other and it's like wading through a conspiracy theory.

I'm suspect that maybe the guys who sold their own bikes under the Rauler marque probably also made the Colnago I just repainted, but I'll never know for sure. Then there are all the import frames that were made under contract by a company like Bilato. Those were often painted to spec by someone here in the USA, with names like LeMond, and (some import company in Colorado I forget the name of right now).

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...the true maker of many of my nicer Italian frames is shrouded in mystery. I go to some obscure site on the internet to read up on one or the other and it's like wading through a conspiracy theory.

I'm suspect that maybe the guys who sold their own bikes under the Rauler marque probably also made the Colnago I just repainted, but I'll never know for sure. Then there are all the import frames that were made under contract by a company like Bilato. Those were often painted to spec by someone here in the USA, with names like LeMond, and (some import company in Colorado I forget the name of right now).

Shaver sport?

12 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I just ordered Emmy some Oakleys for softball.  Now my feed is filled with sunglasses adds.  

Nice, what model? I'm currently using half jacket 2.0 but prescription. They're not as comfy as the M-frame, but still good.  I hate that adds show up after I look at something. I currently have my book of faces deactivated.

3 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Nice, what model? I'm currently using half jacket 2.0 but prescription. They're not as comfy as the M-frame, but still good.  I hate that adds show up after I look at something. I currently have my book of faces deactivated.

https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product/W0OO9208?variant=888392102485

52 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

you're an awesome Dad

Ha! Two of her friends on the team already have the same pair.  She had a cheap off brand pair for over a year and a half.  She took real good care of them.  They broke this last weekend.  I guess vision is pretty important as a pitcher.  Just a drop in the bucket compared to cleats, bats, hotel rooms, tourney fees, post tournament  beers....

12 hours ago, Kzoo said:

They make a lot of frames for other manufacturers.  

It's interesting to see that both Giant and Merida - two huge manufacturers for other brands - are both Taiwanese.  I wonder what it was in 1972 that sparked the formation of these exceptional bike makers?

Anyway, it is fun to see these pics from a Giant factory back in 2012:

image.thumb.png.b0f2a14a31d30d4e53004776119d4c64.png

image.thumb.png.fa211bf6175cb3fa871fbc461a7e6bda.png

image.thumb.png.9d2313ff8a426c0543bbf44f6cd420a2.png

image.thumb.png.ae3ac96baecd495effc1c249cfb4d693.png