Gun safe

Airehead

I need to buy a gun safe. My dad keeps sending me links to ones that are like two grand.   Needs to be fire proof for I guess an hour. If they cannot get a fire out in an hour, I will have bigger problems then ruined shotguns. Also has to be tall enough to store a Kreighoff K80 that has a 30 inch barrel.   

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Looks heavy. First floor placement, I hope?

Basement. My dad had a safe room added to the house in the 80’s. He actually has a bench and stool in their for cleaning and stuff. He forgets that he is a serious sportsmen with national rankings and I am a casual shootEr who blasts a few rounds of trap to be social kind of person. I do not need a 24 gun safe.   I think he is starting to worry about his shotgun collection when he passes.  I believe we will each take one for the memories and then likely sell the rest but he keeps saying do not sell this or that.   Me, I have the guns I loved as he already gifted them to me. 

• Heart 1

Just now, Allen said:

Heavy is good. When my doomer buddy lived in town his house was burgled. They loaded up his gun safe on a hand truck and took the whole thing. 

That would not be good. You are right, heavy is good. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and do it. Einstein is wisely staying out of this discussion between dad and daughter. 

Ok, this is probably a little more reasonable.  90 minute fire rating and room for important papers as well. Tall guns fit.

https://www.acmelocksmith.com/buy-safes-online/hollon-black-hawk-22-rifle-gun-safe-bhs-22e.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw4rf6BRAvEiwAn2Q76onoNxbwZ7s2x3eaXxOfXgIXFQm45ZThGhCGahfRiQc8aGZATbhYPBoCu7sQAvD_BwE

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Airehead said:

That would not be good. You are right, heavy is good. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and do it. Einstein is wisely staying out of this discussion between dad and daughter. 

If the safe is light enough to move,  it should be bolted to the floor.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Did the doofus ever figure out that when the apocalypse comes, he’d be the second to go?

He lives in the house at the end of my driveway. He is the first line of defense. 
My house is the rally point when the world goes to shit for me and my buddies, btw. We have determined that my spread is by far the most defendable. 

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The need for a gun safe explains many of the difficulties that our country is going through.

Maybe not, as they are environmentally safe places to store guns that are only used for hunting and competitions. Hope I have not misinterpreted your comment.

10 hours ago, UglyBob said:

If the safe is light enough to move,  it should be bolted to the floor.

All safes should be bolted to the floor.  Even heavy ones are very easy to slide around on little slick disc thingies.  That's how they move them into your home when you buy them.  My parents and in-laws both have a couple.  The in-laws have a big one in the garage and a smaller one in the house.  They can be had for about 1500-2000.  It's really nice to keep documents, some cash, and external hard drives in (as well as guns).  I keep saying I need to get one just have not made the leap yet.  

• Heart 1

27 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Maybe not, as they are environmentally safe places to store guns that are only used for hunting and competitions. Hope I have not misinterpreted your comment.

It's a dual problem.  Why do those guns need protecting is one element.  I used to have firearms used only for hunting and competitions.  Having them became a liability that I no longer wished to have.  The concept of having to have more protection installed in my home than that afforded to my safe deposit box in a bank vault left me cold.  I wish it were true that most firearms were for hunting and competition but that would be a mistake by several orders of magnitude.  It appears that targets exist on both ends of the gun.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

It's a dual problem.  Why do those guns need protecting is one element.  I used to have firearms used only for hunting and competitions.  Having them became a liability that I no longer wished to have.  The concept of having to have more protection installed in my home than that afforded to my safe deposit box in a bank vault left me cold.  I wish it were true that most firearms were for hunting and competition but that would be a mistake by several orders of magnitude.

And her guns are used for just that.  Shooting competitions.  Gifts from her father.  Why would you not want to protect and expensive gift from a parent?  People that do NOT put their guns in safes expose weapons to thieves, children, etc are a huge problem.  

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

And her guns are used for just that.  Shooting competitions.  Gifts from her father.  Why would you not want to protect and expensive gift from a parent?  People that do NOT put their guns in safes expose weapons to thieves, children, etc are a huge problem.  

There are always exceptions to reasonable statistical assessments.  Thieves represent a problem in this country where the possession of firearms is paramount.

I'd hazard a guess (purely a guess mind you ) that as much as 95% of the firearms in this country are not protected by safes.

8 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

There are always exceptions to reasonable statistical assessments.  Thieves represent a problem in this country where the possession of firearms is paramount.

I'd hazard a guess (purely a guess mind you ) that as much as 95% of the firearms in this country are not protected by safes.

Interesting.  I'd like to know the answer to that as well.  I don't own a safe.  But I have a small space under my basement stairs that I have made into a "gun room".  It has a normal interior door on it.  I put a pad lock on the top of it.  I don't have a huge arsenal, but enough.  They are all locked up in the little space.  Keeps little hands away.

18 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Interesting.  I'd like to know the answer to that as well.  I don't own a safe.  But I have a small space under my basement stairs that I have made into a "gun room".  It has a normal interior door on it.  I put a pad lock on the top of it.  I don't have a huge arsenal, but enough.  They are all locked up in the little space.  Keeps little hands away.

I agree that protecting one's firearms from thieves in addition to young hands is paramount.  You would probably consider me a hardass in that I believe that once a firearm is registered to you that you become responsible for where it goes and what it does.  This is not to say that you should not be able to petition the courts for redress should it be determined that you took all reasonable precautions (good gun safe).

I'm concerned with situations that happen when a firearm is confiscated during a crime and when traced back to the original owner the statement is "it was stolen from me over a year ago".  That I consider such events to be mostly cover for the transfer of illegal firearms means that the original owner is now on the hook for being an accomplice to the crime.

I'm not opposed to guns.  In fact I rather liked mine.  I am opposed to illegal firearms and I'm opposed to their ownership by some who have been deemed by society to be ineligible to have them.

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I agree that protecting one's firearms from thieves in addition to young hands is paramount.  You would probably consider me a hardass in that I believe that once a firearm is registered to you that you become responsible for where it goes and what it does.  This is not to say that you should not be able to petition the courts for redress should it be determined that you took all reasonable precautions (good gun safe).

I'm concerned with situations that happen when a firearm is confiscated during a crime and when traced back to the original owner the statement is "it was stolen from me over a year ago".  That I consider such events to be mostly cover for the transfer of illegal firearms means that the original owner is now on the hook for being an accomplice to the crime.

I'm not opposed to guns.  In fact I rather liked mine.  I am opposed to illegal firearms and I'm opposed to their ownership by some who have been deemed by society to be ineligible to have them.

Agree 100%

11 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Yes, and actually besides theft protection, I mostly want a gun safe for fire protection and humidity control. The Browning Superpose circa 1935 is definitely collectible. I don’t shoot it. I don’t rank a beautiful gun like that.  It was my great grandfathers or so I have been told. I have seen some pre war pictures of him out shooting and it doesn’t appear to be the same gun. This one has some fancy engraving.   I would like to have it here not have it sitting in Maryland— just in case I get a hankering to shoot it. 

• Heart 2