Are You In The "Bubble" Or Not?

Razors Edge

I talk to my mom weekly for the normal check in and to give her a chance to gripe to me about whatever is currently under her skin.  Keep in mind, I live by a large city (and work in it during noon-COVID times).  My brother works in NYC (during non-COVID times).  My various family members are strewn across the country (and other parts of the world) - many near major cities.  With that in mind, I think I'm pretty plugged in to reality.

However, speaking to my mom, it oddly seems as if she firmly believes that if I step into the city, or my brother heads into work in NYC, or my niece steps out her door in Philly, or pretty much any of us dare to go outside, then we are in IMMINENT danger of death by angry mobs.  There is no convincing her otherwise.  I don't know how to pop the bubble, and it is a bit frightening to imagine she is not the only one living in that bubble.

:(

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

It’s all they show on tv, what do you expect?

My mom doesn't have any form of dementia that I can detect, and seems to be quite mentally "there" still.  However, the part of her brain that processes "fear" seems to be in overdrive.

16 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I talk to my mom weekly for the normal check in and to give her a chance to gripe to me about whatever is currently under her skin.  Keep in mind, I live by a large city (and work in it during noon-COVID times).  My brother works in NYC (during non-COVID times).  My various family members are strewn across the country (and other parts of the world) - many near major cities.  With that in mind, I think I'm pretty plugged in to reality.

However, speaking to my mom, it oddly seems as if she firmly believes that if I step into the city, or my brother heads into work in NYC, or my niece steps out her door in Philly, or pretty much any of us dare to go outside, then we are in IMMINENT danger of death by angry mobs.  There is no convincing her otherwise.  I don't know how to pop the bubble, and it is a bit frightening to imagine she is not the only one living in that bubble.

I don't know how I am even alive!

Just now, Randomguy said:

I don't know how I am even alive!

We've assumed a bot replaced your posting months ago. 

I guess, if you are alive, I should ask if you've been able to amass any goodies during the looting?  Scoped out a good bike shop too hit up?

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I'd hate to have to inform her that you are in danger of angry mobs even here.

My dad lives in an old folks home in a suburb of Chicago. He spends all day watching his favorite fear mongering on TV. I told him to turn off his TV, that I'd pick him up, and he could spend a week at our house in the country. After he got here I was going to tell him my TV was broken and maybe try to clear his head.

"But, but, you live 30 miles from the ground zero of Kenosha!!" :frantics:

Yep, its the epicenter I guess.... :rolleyes:

farm.jpg

Both of my folks passed right before covid hit. My dad would have been glued to the TV, obsessed with worrying about the world burning. They both grew up in the Great Depression.  It’s horrible to say, but I’m kinda relieved they didn’t have to experience Covid and the second depression.