My Wife Wife Routinely Misplaces Her Credit Cards

Razors Edge

13 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Not surprising, as with the new readers, the clerks never see the card anyway to check the signature, etc. Pretty scary.

At one point my wife had written "ask for ID" on the back where you were supposed to sign.  I don't think one single person ever asked for ID.:rolleyes:

My wife routinely loses her license / debit / health insurance / Credit cards. Usually, in onesies or pairs. This time she lost the whole lot. She thinks it’s in the house, which is likely because she doesn't hardly leave the house. But she’d rather complain about it than actually look for them. 

She can get a new DL online but she has to know her DL number to open the account. 

So, she had a dr. appt. 2 weeks ago and they required photo ID. She tore the house apart trying to find an old DL (they’d accept it if it’s expired). No luck. I came home from work & she’s telling me all this including the smells, extra thoughts and the road construction outside and I absently pick up a small stack of business/gift/appt cards bundled together with a rubber band. I kind of riffle through them & there, low and behold is a DL!

Not the current one she lost.

Nor the one before that.

No, it’s the one before that. 

AND it doesn’t expire for another 5 years . 

• Haha 2

My wife never does any of this. She likes to shop and buys a bunch of crap on sale -- but she's never loses her credit cards.  Never.  I should be so lucky.  And I don't say that with jest either.  She's an a amazing woman. If she wants to buy crap on sale as therapy for living with me -- so be it.

• Hugs 1

2 hours ago, 2Far said:

My wife routinely loses her license / debit / health insurance / Credit cards. Usually, in onesies or pairs. This time she lost the whole lot. She thinks it’s in the house, which is likely because she doesn't hardly leave the house. But she’d rather complain about it than actually look for them. 

She can get a new DL online but she has to know her DL number to open the account. 

So, she had a dr. appt. 2 weeks ago and they required photo ID. She tore the house apart trying to find an old DL (they’d accept it if it’s expired). No luck. I came home from work & she’s telling me all this including the smells, extra thoughts and the road construction outside and I absently pick up a small stack of business/gift/appt cards bundled together with a rubber band. I kind of riffle through them & there, low and behold is a DL!

Not the current one she lost.

Nor the one before that.

No, it’s the one before that. 

AND it doesn’t expire for another 5 years . 

If you're not around in her life, I hate to think what will happen for wifey. :huh:  Seriously.

4 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

If you're not around in her life, I hate to think what will happen for wifey. :huh:  Seriously.

If his wife is like mine, they'll turn up.  Usually it is in a coat pocket or under some papers on the desk.  I can't get her to carry a purse or even a wallet, so losing/misplacing cards will always be a possibility.  Her sister recently gave her a new phone case with slots for cards, so I'm hoping she swaps from her Otterbox to the card case, but we'll see.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

If his wife is like mine, they'll turn up.  Usually it is in a coat pocket or under some papers on the desk.  I can't get her to carry a purse or even a wallet, so losing/misplacing cards will always be a possibility.  Her sister recently gave her a new phone case with slots for cards, so I'm hoping she swaps from her Otterbox to the card case, but we'll see.

As one gets older, this should be taken seriously by her.

In the past 15 years, I find it better to wear a backpack purse where I will NEVER put down my purse and forget it.  This habit only developed because I'm so used to carrying my bike pannier (with money, ID) into a store/restaurant.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

As one gets older, this should be taken seriously by her.

In the past 15 years, I find it better to wear a backpack purse where I will NEVER put down my purse and forget it.  This habit only developed because I'm so used to carrying my bike pannier (with money, ID) into a store/restaurant.

I get it, but I also feel like it's very low down on the "things to worry about" list as credit cards are easy to replace and there is not much risk from unauthorized/illegal purchases on lost/stolen cards. 

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Quite frequently they do turn up, usually after she's bitten the bullet & replaced them.

She lost a phone at work once. A year later she put on a lab coat that had been hanging on the back of the office door and lo and behold, there was her phone in the pocket.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Quite frequently they do turn up, usually after she's bitten the bullet & replaced them.

She lost a phone at work once. A year later she put on a lab coat that had been hanging on the back of the office door and lo and behold, there was her phone in the pocket.

Luckily for me, Find My iPhone works well!  But she has an older ipod that she has tons of music on which goes missing periodically over the past decade (or more) but somehow we always find it.

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Luckily for me, Find My iPhone works well!  But she has an older ipod that she has tons of music on which goes missing periodically over the past decade (or more) but somehow we always find it.

She left her kindle in the seat back on our flight from Sacramento to ATL last year.

• Sad 1

“Ask for ID” is rarely done nowadays because the task of swiping the card is now on the consumer. When was the last time a clerk touched your card? EMV chip technology moved a lot of liabilities from the card issuers to the merchant. Chipped cards and PIN entry helps limit risk of loss to the merchant. At the LBS, when we took the card, I always checked. If I saw, “Ask for ID” I did. Writing that on the card offers no additional protection. 

These stories crack me up!  I’m a stickler about my stuff.  Wallet, keys, phone, & glasses have their place and they only go in their place.  My wife and son put their stuff down without thinking about it and are always looking for shit.  I’m forever finding her glasses, phone & keys in weird places and putting them in the kitchen counter.  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

These stories crack me up!  I’m a stickler about my stuff.  Wallet, keys, phone, & glasses have their place and they only go in their place.  My wife and son put their stuff down without thinking about it and are always looking for shit.  I’m forever finding her glasses, phone & keys in weird places and putting them in the kitchen counter.  

This for sure.  

38 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

https://coolmaterial.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/dango-cm-sp-1-1000x600.jpg

7 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Wallet, keys, phone, & glasses have their place and they only go in their place.  My wife and son put their stuff down without thinking about it and are always looking for shit.  I’m forever finding her glasses, phone & keys in weird places and putting them in the kitchen counter.  

OMG... Your wife and WoBG must be cloned. Where are my keys, glasses, or phone is a question asked daily.  Sometimes a few times a day.       My stuff is always in the same place.

Years ago... WoBG and I were Christmas shopping and a large mall and she tells me, 'I lost my credit card'.  After a while she asks...   Why aren't you upset?  I told her, 'If it was stolen, they probably will spend less money.'  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

...so she just takes one of mine to use when shopping.

Sort of weird that there has never ever ever been an issue (at a store) over many years of doing this. :whistle:

A lot of places try to err on the side of making money and accepting the charge card.

In 2017, there were a couple fraudulent $1+ charges to my credit card from HULU.  I got the charges removed and my card no. changed by the card company, then called HULU to make sure I wasn't going to get a bad credit report from it.  The girl who answered told me it wasn't even my name associated\at with the card number in the HULU account!  I asked how someone could use my card number without using my name and she said HULU barely reported anything besides the number when they submitted charges to the credit card companies!

Apparently, someone innocently just entered a wrong digit with HULU, used his/her real name, and it got charged to me!