Help me get to NYC

smudge

Ok. I need some advice. LOTS of advice. Any advice stating "Don't do it" will be ignored.

This Yooper girl is ready to make a trip to New York City. I have wanted to go for years. Mostly I want to check the place out. Not real interested in shows or spending lots of cash on shopping. I just want to go there. I've lived my life in the woods. It's nice. But it's time to explore a little.

I will be going during the first two weeks of May 2015. Yup, gonna do the Five Boro Bike Tour. Here's what I've got so far:

Gonna ship my Sirrus out there in a bike store box. I don't travel, so at this time I'm not investing in a fancy bike box. Yes, I'm using my own bike. I suppose I could rent, but that's not part of my wants. I want to have my own bike there. Thing is, what will I do with the box for the 2 weeks I'm there?? Two of my LBS have said they'd help me ship it out to NY. I'm hoping to find a helpful shop out there to receive it and help me ship it back home.

I have been looking around on Trip Advisor for a room/studio to rent. I have found a few possiblities. I'd like to stay middle area of Manhattan. The bike tour starts in Battery Park. I want to make sure I get there on time. Any other exploring of the other boros can be done without a certain start time, so it's ok if I have to travel longer to those destinations. Looks like I should be able to get studio for under $900/week. Sound about right?

I think I'll use LaGuardia. I don't need the extra hoopla of JFK; I'm not flying international. So far round trip from our local airport to NY is about $430. Does that sound reasonable??? At first seemed high to me, but seems to be the going rate.

I need to get a lock/cable for the bike. I will be getting a rear rack to transport stuff too. Sounds like I need a bell to be legal (got one), and I need front and rear lights for nightime (got those too). 

I have been doing some reading online and have gained a few useful tips on riding there. More tips are always welcome, which is why I am asking for your input. Gimme all you got: the good, the bad, the ugly.  THANKS!

Ok. I need some advice. LOTS of advice. Any advice stating "Don't do it" will be ignored.

OK I will not tell you just to stay home.......But if you must go have fun! 

This Yooper girl is ready to make a trip to New York City. I have wanted to go for years. Mostly I want to check the place out. Not real interested in shows or spending lots of cash on shopping. I just want to go there. I've lived my life in the woods. It's nice. But it's time to explore a little.

The woods is safer with the mooses and bears! You will spend lots of cash no matter what you do in a BIG city! 

I will be going during the first two weeks of May 2015. Yup, gonna do the Five Boro Bike Tour. Here's what I've got so far:

Sounds like fun! Next year I'm doing the Dickerson county ride in Iron Mountain... come join me and the family! 

Gonna ship my Sirrus out there in a bike store box. I don't travel, so at this time I'm not investing in a fancy bike box. Yes, I'm using my own bike. I suppose I could rent, but that's not part of my wants. I want to have my own bike there. Thing is, what will I do with the box for the 2 weeks I'm there?? Two of my LBS have said they'd help me ship it out to NY. I'm hoping to find a helpful shop out there to receive it and help me ship it back home.

I have been looking around on Trip Advisor for a room/studio to rent. I have found a few possiblities. I'd like to stay middle area of Manhattan. The bike tour starts in Battery Park. I want to make sure I get there on time. Any other exploring of the other boros can be done without a certain start time, so it's ok if I have to travel longer to those destinations. Looks like I should be able to get studio for under $900/week. Sound about right?

I think I'll use LaGuardia. I don't need the extra hoopla of JFK; I'm not flying international. So far round trip from our local airport to NY is about $430. Does that sound reasonable??? At first seemed high to me, but seems to be the going rate.

I need to get a lock/cable for the bike. I will be getting a rear rack to transport stuff too. Sounds like I need a bell to be legal (got one), and I need front and rear lights for nightime (got those too). 

I have a cable and lock if you want to use it! I'll be back in Republic area later this week and you can keep it for a long time... more of less have it :)

It is not safe for a bike you like to be in the city.. you will need some heavy chain and lock.. something they would used for hoisting rockets with.. uncuttable stuff! 

I have been doing some reading online and have gained a few useful tips on riding there. More tips are always welcome, which is why I am asking for your input. Gimme all you got: the good, the bad, the ugly.  THANKS!

Tip 1: They drive like ass hats.. you will more then likely not be safe!

Tip 2: RG might stalk you if you end up being that close.. Remember.. WoRG is cool... RG is ok :)

Tips and such in red :)

Don't do it.

You have to be ok with zoos, because the 5 borough bike tour is a zoo.  I started and gave up one year due to overwhelming disgust.  I left and did my own damn century without morans suddenly stopping every 5 feet in front of me.  The first hour and a half saw me go a frustrating 15 miles before I left my friends.  That said, I don't like group rides like that, I was coerced to do this one.  You might like it since you aren't living here

Fly into JFK, make it easy on yourself.  It is the only airport that you can take the subway to/from.  If you don't care about that, JFK or Laguardia will work fine, you just take a cab to your hotel/studio.  $1000 or less/week is good, although I have had some folks I know get lucky with cheap hotels from time to time.  Leave your cardboard bike box in your rented room.

Don't get a bell, you will be a total chick-tool if you get one, no lights either unless you are planning on riding at night by yourself.  A cable lock will be useless here because your bike will get stolen in about 12 seconds.  Just don't leave your bike outside, at all, if you want to keep it.  It WILL get stolen or parted out, this is an absolute certainty unless you can keep an eye on it most of the time.

I would try to find a rental around the west village to the upper west side, no higher or lower.  This will help maximize your enjoyment and convenience while you are here.

I am happy to play tour guide a bit, too!

ok, if you want to stay in midtown, my best advice is to remember that if someone talks to you, they are about to mug you

second..."traffic" is not even the word for it. don't go for a bike ride. Just go and be on foot. Visit RG. He knows the town and you can stay there and get felt up.

no matter where you stay, you are going to get felt up, so you might as well stay with RG

Next....don't leave your bike on the street locked up. This is a city where they will boost entire trucks, so a bike lock won't even slow the local boys down

fourth....when you walk around, don't skylark. You stand out and make yourself a target when you walk around gawking at everything.

fifth, and most important....if you do end up taking the subway and step in a puddle, remember that there actually is no water on the trains, you just stepped in piss

ok, if you want to stay in midtown, my best advice is to remember that if someone talks to you, they are about to mug you

second..."traffic" is not even the word for it. don't go for a bike ride. Just go and be on foot. Visit RG. He knows the town and you can stay there and get felt up.

no matter where you stay, you are going to get felt up, so you might as well stay with RG

RG sure sounds friendly! 2nd or 3rd person to tell me this!

Next....don't leave your bike on the street locked up. This is a city where they will boost entire trucks, so a bike lock won't even slow the local boys down

fourth....when you walk around, don't skylark. You stand out and make yourself a target when you walk around gawking at everything.

It'll be tough, but I've already realized I can't "skylark."

fifth, and most important....if you do end up taking the subway and step in a puddle, remember that there actually is no water on the trains, you just stepped in piss

THIS is something I did not know! Thanks!

THIS is something I did not know! Thanks!

Bears piss in the woods! People piss everywhere in the city :)

• Heart 1

I just booked rooms on Airbnb......you might want to check them out as housing options...NYC has lots of bedbugs :(

I am driving out to visit SuzieQ and a bunch of other NY State peeps in September...I am just sleeping around :whistle: Although I will also bring my tent.

So are you going to venture into the north country or are you stayin south of I-90?

Don't do it.

You have to be ok with zoos, because the 5 borough bike tour is a zoo.  I started and gave up one year due to overwhelming disgust.  I left and did my own damn century without morans suddenly stopping every 5 feet in front of me.  The first hour and a half saw me go a frustrating 15 miles before I left my friends.  That said, I don't like group rides like that, I was coerced to do this one.  You might like it since you aren't living here

I'm ok with that. My bike rides are usually point my bike down a country road and pedal. I get it. Watch out for the morons.

Fly into JFK, make it easy on yourself.  It is the only airport that you can take the subway to/from.  If you don't care about that, JFK or Laguardia will work fine, you just take a cab to your hotel/studio.  $1000 or less/week is good, although I have had some folks I know get lucky with cheap hotels from time to time.  Leave your cardboard bike box in your rented room.

Will a cab be ridiculously expensive from JFK? I'll keep the box under the bed in rented room.

Don't get a bell, you will be a total chick-tool if you get one, no lights either unless you are planning on riding at night by yourself.  A cable lock will be useless here because your bike will get stolen in about 12 seconds.  Just don't leave your bike outside, at all, if you want to keep it.  It WILL get stolen or parted out, this is an absolute certainty unless you can keep an eye on it most of the time.

Whew, thanks for helping me avoid being a total chick-tool!

I would try to find a rental around the west village to the upper west side, no higher or lower.  This will help maximize your enjoyment and convenience while you are here.

West, not east? Ok

I am happy to play tour guide a bit, too!

I may take you up on that a little without being a pest. ;)

I took my kids to NYC for a weekend a few years ago.  We could not have looked more like tourists.  We took cabs, the train, a tour bus and walked around looking lost a lot.

We had a great time.

We didn't get mugged, felt up or harassed.

Go and have fun!

Thanks! I need a little bit of this reassurance too.  :blush:

NYC (below Harlem) is the safest big city in America, you will live long and prosper.  West is better than east, although there are ok spots in the east in places.  If you want to bounce a few locations by me, I will give my .02.  I meant what I said about the bike locks and locking it outside.  Cabs aren't really that unreasonable to/from either of the airports.

NYC is fun!  If you like to eat, drink, and walk, you will have a blast!

• Heart 1

A bike store box has worked fine for me so far. The bike has always arrived with me and I've never had an issue with the box. As to what to do with the box when you arrive, you have three options. Use the one that works for you.

1. If you're staying in one place the whole time, just keep the box with you. This is the simplest solution.

2. If you're staying in multiple locations but using the same airport for the return flight, book your first and last nights at the same place and ask them to keep the box for you. Often, people will try to accommodate your needs.

3. In medium and large cities, or if you're arriving at one location and departing from another, it's easy to discard the box when you arrive and then pick up another box from a bike shop the day before you leave. (This option does not work if your last day involves a train or bus ride from a little town without a bike shop, but there's no shortage of bike shops in New York.)

Of course the next question about the box is how do I get it to my rental place?  :huh:

Cab or train.  They have SUV cabs.

You could also just ship it to a bike shop if you are useless and intend that a shop reassemble your bike.  Actually, I advise sending it to a shop so's to avoid ovesize baggage fees on an airline, airlines are notorious for charging massive prices to travels with a bike.  I have heard as much as $200 one-way, even!  Nfw I would do that, plus airlines are more likely to lose or damage your bike than UPS or Fedex.

Make it easy on yourself, is my advice, fly into JFK and take the train to the city, and ship to a shop so there is little to no hassle.

You could also just ship it to a bike shop if you are useless and intend that a shop reassemble your bike.  Actually, I advise sending it to a shop so's to avoid ovesize baggage fees on an airline, airlines are notorious for charging massive prices to travels with a bike.  I have heard as much as $200 one-way, even!  Nfw I would do that, plus airlines are more likely to lose or damage your bike than UPS or Fedex.

Make it easy on yourself, is my advice, fly into JFK and take the train to the city, and ship to a shop so there is little to no hassle

RG is correct.  Take the AirTrain to Jamaica station.  then you can take the Long Island railroad to Penn Station, which is right across from Madison Square Gardens.  A few years ago I would take the express E train to Jamaica station, then catch the AirTrain to JFK.

Make it easy on yourself, is my advice, fly into JFK and take the train to the city, and ship to a shop so there is little to no hassle.

Yes, I think that is the plan with my LBS to ship it to a bike shop. I was looking at places around 1st Ave and around E 60-66 St, and there seem to be a few bike shops there. Could just carry box back to rental and store box under bed to use for return trip?? I am certain I can install pedals, front wheel, and if necessary adjust headset (per ONE of my LBS guys?).  No, the box will not be on the plane with me.This was my original plan.

I've actually never seen those words used in that order before :scratch head:

What???? But I DOOOO like Milwaukee! We always have fun there. Go to a ballgame, ride around downtown, stop at a bike shop or two, GOLD RUSH CHICKEN!! Mmmm, Gold Rush. And a chocolate malt with extra malt!  Mmmmmm...

RG is correct.  Take the AirTrain to Jamaica station.  then you can take the Long Island railroad to Penn Station, which is right across from Madison Square Gardens.  A few years ago I would take the express E train to Jamaica station, then catch the AirTrain to JFK.

This sort of thing is very good to know too. Thanks!

Yes, I think that is the plan with my LBS to ship it to a bike shop. I was looking at places around 1st Ave and around E 60-66 St, and there seem to be a few bike shops there. Could just carry box back to rental and store box under bed to use for return trip?? I am certain I can install pedals, front wheel, and if necessary adjust headset (per ONE of my LBS guys?).  No, the box will not be on the plane with me.This was my original plan.

You have to realize that most shops in NYC are the size of a closet, and run by people that don't speak english and have probably lived most of their lives in prison or somesuch, or routinely commit acts that will eventually get them there.  I would say that it is difficult at best to pick a shop from afar.  That said, why don't you wait until you find a place to stay before you look at shops to ship to?  I wouldn't look in that area you mentioned for shops, either, and I would stop taking advice from who you are taking it from currently, including me.  Especially me.

You have to realize that most shops in NYC are the size of a closet, and run by people that don't speak english and have probably lived most of their lives in prison or somesuch, or routinely commit acts that will eventually get them there.  I would say that it is difficult at best to pick a shop from afar.  That said, why don't you wait until you find a place to stay before you look at shops to ship to?  I wouldn't look in that area you mentioned for shops, either, and I would stop taking advice from who you are taking it from currently, including me.  Especially me.

I am THIIIIIISSSS close.... :P

Every airline has a different policy on bike fees. There's quite a lot of difference. (Once I managed to take a bike for no additional cost, but that's rare.) So far, my bike has not been lost or damaged from the flight. 

Another option to consider is Amtrak, for yourself and your bike. The costs alone make it an option worth examining.