Tonight's experiment

Tizeye

First time grilling butternut squash. While this was coated in a butter cinnamon mixture, there is a separate pecan glaze that accompanies and baked in the oven, now cooling.  I have grilled sliced summer squash and zucchini, but never butternut slices.

IMG_3201.JPG

• Awesome 4

It was interesting. Unfortunately, I did over cook the chicken so it was a little dry. Didn't have the timing synced quite right. In terms of the squash it was easy to slice with a knife quite favorable. Normally would grill with the outter shell, but I had peeled it a couple days ago as I used half for a squash pasta dish and had the remaining half to use up. That is why I looked for other recipes. With the cinnamon/butter coating while cooked and excess drizzled over when served plus the cinnamon and clove in the pecan glaze had very much an autumn flavor. Had a distinct taste like sweet potato.

Here is the actual recipe that caught my eye as was looking for ways to fix. https://www.weber.com/US/en/recipes/veggies/butternut-squash/weber-12198.html#

• Heart 1

I love butternut squash though you need a sharp knife and carefulness to cut the hard raw squash.

I like to cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and fill the cavities with peas and butter and bake it. similar to these chickpea-filled cavities. That eliminates a lot of cutting:

Roasted Butternut Squash with Chick Peas and Tofu Dip • Happy Kitchen

I'm not crazy about pureed butternut squash in soups, so I love the fantastic Martha Stewart Savory Fall Stew that is one of the top things I've ever cooked. It features Italian Sausage (I use mild) and a lot of chopped-into-bitesize-pieces of Butternut Squash along with Carrots, Parsnips, Fennel, Brussels Sprouts and Cippoline Onions (I use sliced sweet onions) and various broths and seasonings.

It's here: https://www.marthastewart.com/337234/savory-fall-stew

Savory Fall Stew

• Awesome 1

35 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I love butternut squash though you need a sharp knife and carefulness to cut the hard raw squash.

I initially did that and other than a sharp knife to cut in half...it took me a while to think of it, but a potato peeler does great on the outer shell. Shallow cuts and far safer than a knife.