Costco Chicken Pot Pie, 12", 5.70 lb

MickinMD

Costco Chicken Pot Pie, 12", 5.70 lb, $3.49/lb.  This ready-to-cook pie beats the hell out of frozen, even Marie Calendar:

845878861_CostcoChickenPotPie3.49perlb.thumb.jpg.2dcadf9f2fb3817e01cae80b329ff054.jpg

375° oven. middle/upper rack, on cookie sheet, for about 1 hour to 165° - 180°

20200902_194612.jpg.59d47954b2ee0714a20bbe6ba7ffc5de.jpg 20200902_194621.jpg.93f1d3f2b226c8815e257e59040d3b16.jpg

Excellent: 1.5 lb of chicken in 1/2" - 1" chunks. lots of carrots and peas in a thick, creamy, great-tasting sauce and enough of it so the crust isn't dry:

1/4 for supper, each other quarter just fits in a 30 oz. "disposable" container, so I just have to nuke a great tasting dinner 3 more days this week:

20200902_195718.jpg.cd46ccd2750d418b16ec335002d3a374.jpg 20200902_195725.jpg.e43f44d1a281ff77e42f918514a0d850.jpg

• Heart 2

8 hours ago, Randomguy said:

That looks good right now!

Easily two meals for you RG!!!!  Fuel for your rides!

9 hours ago, MickinMD said:

beats the hell out of frozen, even Marie Calendar:

Yeah, that's pretty much a very known known.  Like an absolute assumption.

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Chicken pot pies are pretty easy to make. I just get the already made pie crusts and do it he filling myself.  If my daughter will be around I’ll make two and top one with mashed potato.  

I haven't done one myself.  Whatever Costco makes the thick filling with, it's a winner: they prepare them in the back of the store, I think.

I do make my own shepherd's pie, where all I have to worry about in terms of crust is the layer of mashed potatoes on the top: I get Idahoan Instant and make it just a little watery so it's easy to spread.

I often make 4 of 5 in disposable lasagna pans, 1 for my brother's family, I for my sister's family, and 1-2 to freeze in addition to the one I'll cook immediately.

The fantastic recipe, by an Irishwoman who runs a small catering service is here: https://www.food.com/recipe/traditional-irish-shepherds-pie-302120#activity-feed

She says: I've said it once and I'll say it again there is nothing Irish about Corned Beef and Cabbage, but Shepherd's Pie has always been and still is a staple of traditional Irish cooking. This is a really easy, but tasty recipe that the whole family will enjoy. It's nutritionally sound with all the major food groups represented. The British use lamb in their Shepherd's Pie, but we've always used beef. Do whatever you prefer or even try turkey if you're watching fat content.

Rated 5/5 by 275 people

40 min | 20 min prep SERVES 4 -6 , 1 pie

· 1 tablespoon olive oil 

· 1 teaspoon black pepper 

· 1 lb ground beef or lamb 

· 1 large onion, finely diced

· 3-4 large carrots, finely diced

· 1 cup frozen peas

· 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped

· 2 tablespoons flour 

· 1 tablespoon butter 

· 1 glass red wine (or additional 1 cup chicken stock/bouillon)

· 2 tablespoons tomato paste (or 3 tbsp ketchup)

· 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce

· 1 cup stock [chicken stock: or 1 bouillon cube in 1 cup of water]

· 1 large quantity mashed potatoes (estimating 1L or 6 cups, fresh or leftover)

Reviewer tip: use garlic mashed potatoes

· 1 egg, beaten

· grated parmesan cheese (optional)

1. Pre-heat oven to 200C/400°F.

2. Saute carrots in the olive oil until starting to get tender.

3. Add in the onions and saute for a minute or two then add the meat.

4. Season with black pepper and thyme.

5. Cook until browned then drain fat.

6. Add the butter and peas.

7. Sprinkle with flour and stir through.

8. Add tomato paste, wine and Worcestershire sauce.

9. Let this reduce slightly then add the chicken stock. Allow to reduce down until you have a thick meaty gravy. Season to your taste.

10. Remove from heat. Grease an oven proof dish** (9x13 works for me, as does an oval baker) with butter and add the sauce.

11. Spoon or pipe the mashed potatoes over top. Brush with egg and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if using.

12. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the potato is nice and browned on top.

13. Serve as is or with some crusty bread to mop up that yummy sauce!

Comment From: MadameSev. On Mar 22, 2009

I made this last night for a dinner party and it was a huge hit (my guests had seconds AND thirds!). I doubled the recipe for all ingredients except I only used one tall glass of red wine. I would definitely make this again, and the only thing I'd change would be to add garlic to the mashed potatoes. Overall fantastic!

cZ5xMyjYTj6asfH3TI66_DSC_0784-2.jpg.5e6fa9d53752e8f16eb322e238aa2a60.jpg DSroliC6RBCV7B9H2T4q_DSC_0777.jpg.52f0b93d95d5d82f4b36102a88dd0788.jpg

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I haven't done one myself.  Whatever Costco makes the thick filling with, it's a winner: they prepare them in the back of the store, I think.

I do make my own shepherd's pie, where all I have to worry about in terms of crust is the layer of mashed potatoes on the top: I get Idahoan Instant and make it just a little watery so it's easy to spread.

I often make 4 of 5 in disposable lasagna pans, 1 for my brother's family, I for my sister's family, and 1-2 to freeze in addition to the one I'll cook immediately.

The fantastic recipe, by an Irishwoman who runs a small catering service is here: https://www.food.com/recipe/traditional-irish-shepherds-pie-302120#activity-feed

She says: I've said it once and I'll say it again there is nothing Irish about Corned Beef and Cabbage, but Shepherd's Pie has always been and still is a staple of traditional Irish cooking. This is a really easy, but tasty recipe that the whole family will enjoy. It's nutritionally sound with all the major food groups represented. The British use lamb in their Shepherd's Pie, but we've always used beef. Do whatever you prefer or even try turkey if you're watching fat content.

Rated 5/5 by 275 people

· 1 tablespoon olive oil 

· 1 cup frozen peas

· 2 tablespoons flour 

· 1 tablespoon butter 

· 1 egg, beaten

9. Let this reduce slightly then add the chicken stock. Allow to reduce down until you have a thick meaty gravy. Season to your taste.

10. Remove from heat. Grease an oven proof dish** (9x13 works for me, as does an oval baker) with butter and add the sauce.

11. Spoon or pipe the mashed potatoes over top. Brush with egg and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if using.

I made this last night for a dinner party and it was a huge hit (my guests had seconds AND thirds!). I doubled the recipe for all ingredients except I only used one tall glass of red wine. I would definitely make this again, and the only thing I'd change would be to add garlic to the mashed potatoes. Overall fantastic!

cZ5xMyjYTj6asfH3TI66_DSC_0784-2.jpg.5e6fa9d53752e8f16eb322e238aa2a60.jpg DSroliC6RBCV7B9H2T4q_DSC_0777.jpg.52f0b93d95d5d82f4b36102a88dd0788.jpg

When you make your own, they are Mickin pot pies.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Rated 5/5 by 275 people

· 1 tablespoon olive oil 

· 1 cup frozen peas

· 2 tablespoons flour 

· 1 tablespoon butter 

· 1 egg, beaten

There is an Indonesian/Dutch fusion dish I grew up with called Pastei which is basically a shepherds pie.  My kids love it and I made sure to get the recipe from my mom while she was still sharp.  So when I make chicken pot pie with potato for my daughter she calls it chicken pot pastei!

I sauté the chicken & veggies in a pan and then add a little white wine, powdered chicken bouillon & corn starch to thicken it up.  You could use flour or a roux but my daughter would get sick so I don’t.