I tried...but

Tizeye

53 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I love shooting off model rockets but never have seen the real thing. 

I remember buying the rockets and motors.   I lost a few small rockets (so small they used streamers not a parachute) by installing LARGE motors.  They flew so high, we'd lose sight of them. 

When the space shuttle was still flying, we selected a launch date   We'd have our vacation planned, then the launch date was postponed.  I couldn't move the vacation so we change our vacation plans.

@Tizeye how far away were you from the launch?   I'm assuming it was still rather loud?

As the crow flies, about 5 miles away. Just pulled off the road on US1 and walked 30 feet or so down to the shore. Then a straight view across the Intercoastal Waterway. Some people prefer the bridge a couple miles south but when I saw was launch pad 40, that is the furthest north, so elected US1 viewing.

One that MIGHT have been closer was if I went to the beach immediately north. The use to close the northern bridge preventing anyone from crossing on launch day. But now it is open, but the rules are unpredictable...and I was running late as had to take a huge detour just to get there. (Later learned that a driving/roadrage/murder is what shut down SR50 for 8 hours, forcing the detour). Crossing the bridge to Canaveral National Seashore beach would be nice, but NASA neighboring the property can close it on a whim, and the Park rangers may close when max crowd met...so just not worth the risk.

Here is a view from Canaveral National Seashore parking lot 1, and walking down the beach to the guard shack. The assembly building gives a point of reference, and yes, that is launch pad 40. I may have to try that sometime.:D

DSC06117.jpg

DSC00809.jpg

• Heart 1

The sound was noticeable, even with no clouds. It took a while just to travel that 5 miles. Add clouds, and I have even heard/felt the rumble in Orlando. In fact, was surprised the launch went last week with the weather. Heavy clouds kept the sound in where we not only heard it in Orlando, but it rattled windows in the house.