Do you peel your tubers?

Randomguy

11 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

?

I have taken to making thick slices of regular and sweet potatoes and baking them without peeling them.   I am wrong to do this?

Nah. You're good to go.  I sometimes don't peel carrots either.  I just scrub them down with the veggie brush and remove anything that looks suspicious.

• Heart 2

34 minutes ago, Airehead said:

For mashed leave the peels on 1/4 of them as measured by weight not number of potatoes.

Holy crap that is specific!  Did Einstein make you do that?  :D

Good idea though.  My wife makes our mashed taters 85% of the time, so maybe I’ll leave a few skins on next time I make them for myself. That sounds good. And I do like it when restaurants (remember those?) do it, usually with redskins (will they have to rename them too?). 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...I  grate russet potatoes with the skins on, and use them in frittata's. You can pretty much grate any tuber without peeling it, and use it in whatever you are cooking. Except maybe Jello. Don't do this with Jello. In fact, don't buy Jello.

What do you have against jello?

14 hours ago, Randomguy said:

What do you have against jello?

...when you grew up in the 50's, that shit showed up everywhere.  There was this one enormous metal pan of Jello (IIRC it was the green kind), that showed up on the chow line at the Naval Hospital in Naples when I worked there, every day for three weeks. Same pan...same Jello.  I have a lot of Jello trauma....don't get me started.

The only saving grace for the stuff is hot chick Jello wrestling.