Mayonnaise is the true king of condiments

Randomguy

6 hours ago, Further said:

fresh from the garden tomato, slathered with mayo, on a good bun  :loveshower: 

Now this is a great sandwich.  However there are people in this country who are so sick that they put mayo on an Italian Grinder (sub for you unwashed heathens).  I will never cross the threshold of a Blimpy's again.  

5 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...yeah, and margarine instead of butter, too.  I look back on those years as essentially wasted. :(

My mom thought Margarine was healthier than butter. And when my Dad missed 3 months of work for a mild heart attack, eggs were the enemy. Times have changed. 

6 hours ago, Page Turner said:

Butter is simply a more universal accompaniment, and you can also use it in frying to brown stuff. Try that with mayo.

Apparently, you can do that with mayo, too.  I haven’t done it  myself, but I have seen it in two random articles that recommended it as a butter substitute when making grilled cheese sandwiches. 

Incidentally, I don’t recall a single instance of a grilled cheese sandwich ever being made on a grill.  

Butter is phenomenal stuff, too, although you would never dip French fries into it. 

7 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

I am not a mayo fan either. I’ll tolerate it, but I usually avoid it. Those store made potato salads and coke slaws where they use aboot 4 times as much as they should of some chemical compound masquerading as mayo really sully its reputation. 

Mayo is not the king of condos.  It's the king of crap -- unless it's to make tuna sandwiches.  Then it's tolerable.  

35 minutes ago, Dottles said:

It's seems generally speaking that folks are either mayonnaise fans or mustard fans.  I fall into the latter.

I am both, but when they are used in the right place, and sometimes together. I think Tuna is best with a bit of Mayo and mustard, but neither are adequate without a bit of chowchow like my wife just canned.

• Awesome 1

10 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Incidentally, I don’t recall a single instance of a grilled cheese sandwich ever being made on a grill.

Food and wine and multiple other credible websites have recipes for grilled cheese sandwiches made on charcoal and gas grills. It can be done. You would like the results. I would use thickly sliced homemade sourdough bread with a combination of cheeses and butter to grill your sammich. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

41 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I might use ranch dressing, but probably not Mayo. Actually my preference is a good red sauce with adequate horseradish.

It’s a Northern Europe thing.  I couldn’t do it at first but gave it a go once as a teenager visiting family in Holland and I was hooked.  Many soldiers who spent time in Germany did the same.

14 hours ago, ChrisL said:

It’s a Northern Europe thing.  I couldn’t do it at first but gave it a go once as a teenager visiting family in Holland and I was hooked.  Many soldiers who spent time in Germany did the same.

It is a hard sell to move from ketchup to mayo on fries.  I might try it sometime though.

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

It is a hard sell to move from ketchup to mayo on fries.  I might try it sometime though.

Try both.  The frite vendors in Holland serve them in a cone shaped paper container.  (Freaking hot on the hands too!). They then ask you what toppings and you get a couple of squirts from a big dispenser.   

When I was in Holland in the early 1980’s I noticed their ketchup was really thin and watery. Not ideal for fries.  So most people either used mayo or mayo and a bit of that runny ketchup.   When I was there in the early 2000’s the ketchup was more like ours but they still mostly used mayo.

It's hard to argue against mayonnaise!

My college advisor at UMBC in Maryland was from Chicago.

His comment on Maryland cuisine was, "You guys put mayonnaise in everything!"

For crabs alone, we put it in crabcakes, crab dip, crab salad, crab imperial (the standard that makes or breaks many local restaurants), etc.

Once, there was a party at a relatives and she was out of mayo for some dish.  I looked up the recipe on the Internet, she had the ingredients, and we made it with something like this, pulsing it in a blender for about a minute.  It was good, though not sweet and worked fine

• 1 large egg at room temperature
  • 1.25 cups olive oil or other mild-tasting oil, NOT extra virgin or other strong-tasting oil
  • 1/2 tsp ground mustard seed
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice at room temperature