Television Envy

petitepedal

57 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Until today...my 22 inch TV has been grand...but watching LeTour on it...compared to the 80 inch TV at work..kinda sucks...:dontknow:

Oh..I am still debating where it is gonna go....from the mantel.

The 40-55" HDTV sets have dropped a lot in price due to the new 4K TVs, which are minimally better for TV viewing than HDTV's at this point.

There are formulas as to how big a TV is too big, based on the typical seating distance from the TV.

The most often quoted one is that the screen size should be no more than 2/3 the diagonal screen size.

So, for my typical 9' from the screen, 2 x 3 x (9x12)" = 72".  So a 65" to 75" TV should be about all you need - max.

I had a 55" in. that's more than big enough for me and a 50" in my apartment that does the job.

22 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

The 40-55" HDTV sets have dropped a lot in price due to the new 4K TVs, which are minimally better for TV viewing than HDTV's at this point.

There are formulas as to how big a TV is too big, based on the typical seating distance from the TV.

The most often quoted one is that the screen size should be no more than 2/3 the diagonal screen size.

So, for my typical 9' from the screen, 2 x 3 x (9x12)" = 72".  So a 65" to 75" TV should be about all you need - max.

I had a 55" in. that's more than big enough for me and a 50" in my apartment that does the job.

I can tell you from first hand experience that an 85” TV is too big for a viewing distance of about 7’!   

My wife used to work for Mitsubishi Electronics and we were a “test family” for their tv’s.   About 2X a year they’d drop off a tv for a couple of months and we’d give feed back on it.  One time they dropped off a 85” TV and I swear it was blinding it was so big.  We practically had to wear sunglasses to watch it!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

Despite all the formulas...then there are the physical limitations.  While my living room is 13' back plus another 5 feet for the raised front entry so could definitely use one of the largest sets. The problem is the opposite wall has a fireplace and the two side walls are either windows or open to dining room. The above mantle is way too high from a seating position, so would have to be a little lower and angled on either side. With the angle, could put a 55" on one side and a 48" on the other side.

First ting you need to do is identify where going to put it and that will dictate the maximum size.  

10 hours ago, MickinMD said:

The other thing to consider is viewing angle.   That's why I years ago purchased a 50" plasma screen TV (still being used) and a 55" OLED TV about 2 years ago.   (search 'off axis TV viewing' for more info)

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-cEeC3uQMP2E/learn/learningcenter/home/TV_placement.html

image.png.13be92e113039e782b57fe4a4e1f6fe7.png