Depersonalizing the house

Scrapr

It is odd that the PNWers of this forum are selling their houses. First @Dirtyhip, then you, followed by me. We are aiming to get ours on the market sometime around or after the 20th of this month.

Our real estate agent already confirmed that our house has appreciated so much it's already paid for the new roof.

After my Dad died, my Mom really wanted to stay in the house, even though it was too big for her to really maintain and the stairs were difficult.  After a bad fall, she agreed to move to an apartment in the same building as my sister, but she wasn't happy about it.  Within a few months she was so glad to be in the apartment and really enjoyed getting to know her neighbors who were friendly and looked in on her as well.  It's always hard to leave a place with good memories, but I'm confident your memories will stay with you, and you'll find a lot to enjoy in your new home.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

Are you planning on selling two houses to just have one?

I only have the Bend home now. I am closing on the Portland area home Thursday. Then about 2 weeks later the Bend home goes on the market. It's confusing I know. The Realtors on both sides are sending docs, I'm docusigning & filing. Trying to keep it all straight. At the end I will have only 1 home. 

1 minute ago, Scrapr said:

I only have the Bend home now. I am closing on the Portland area home Thursday. Then about 2 weeks later the Bend home goes on the market. It's confusing I know. The Realtors on both sides are sending docs, I'm docusigning & filing. Trying to keep it all straight. At the end I will have only 1 home. 

I remember I liked the blue cabinets in your previous Portland home. :)

(I think I have that right. I don’t have a scorecard. :D)

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I remember I liked the blue cabinets in your previous Portland home. :)

(I think I have that right. I don’t have a scorecard. :D)

They were green cabinets. After nobody showed up at the first open house i was ready to paint them a different color. The Realtor & WoScrapr talked me down. We lowered the price below a big round number & the open house the next week was mobbed. 

I'm ready to quit with this buying & selling homes. It is much more stressful than I imagined

• Heart 3

4 hours ago, Scrapr said:

They were green cabinets. After nobody showed up at the first open house i was ready to paint them a different color. The Realtor & WoScrapr talked me down. We lowered the price below a big round number & the open house the next week was mobbed. 

I'm ready to quit with this buying & selling homes. It is much more stressful than I imagined

We just got back from the house designer guy. He said one couple got divorced before the house was done.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

We just got back from the house designer guy. He said one couple got divorced before the house was done.

Yeah that happens. I'm not worried about you 2 though. If you can cross the electric bike divide you are GTG

Contractors die in the middle of builds too. I have seen that maybe 2x? There are going to be challenges. Stay calm & work the problem

but permit lady I don't have any advice that would not result in jail time. 

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

Yeah that happens. I'm not worried about you 2 though. If you can cross the electric bike divide you are GTG

Contractors die in the middle of builds too. I have seen that maybe 2x? There are going to be challenges. Stay calm & work the problem

but permit lady I don't have any advice that would not result in jail time. 

Thanks. 

You can be first to see. Haven’t even shown my mother yet. 

Had our first discussion that we didn’t see eye to eye on. Pedestal sinks 

53D5EA69-CEA6-4112-BC4A-1328CA0852DB.jpeg

3FCB5FEC-A304-45FB-99DC-0D8F58ADDD43.jpeg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

20 hours ago, Dottles said:

It is odd that the PNWers of this forum are selling their houses. First @Dirtyhip, then you, followed by me. We are aiming to get ours on the market sometime around or after the 20th of this month.

Our real estate agent already confirmed that our house has appreciated so much it's already paid for the new roof.

My wife’s cousin who lives in Portland just moved to the Bend area. 

• Heart 1

27 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I've never lived there but @Scrapr should know if it's great.  It's a great, beautiful place to visit for sure.

They said they are 40 minutes away from Bend but the name of the city escapes me now. Their Portland house sold in 1 day.

They have twin girls & both are off to college and they work from home so they got out of Portland.

Just now, ChrisL said:

They said they are 40 minutes away from Bend but the name of the city escapes me now. Their Portland house sold in 1 day.

They have twin girls & both are off to college and they work from home so they got out of Portland.

I approve of this plan.  I need to remain west of the Cascades for some years but if I could, I'd escape east maybe....

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

40 minutes...I guess either LaPine, Prineville or possibly Madras/Terrebone.  That covers the North/South & East vectors. 40 minutes West puts you about the Sno parks West of HooDoo Ski area

On 9/6/2020 at 11:54 PM, Scrapr said:

The Bend home is going on the market Sept 25th. Talked to a realtor friend this week and was thinking to list it after the new house closes & the rent back period is done. then she says why don't you rent back? Duh! So try to get it done before November. She says it will sell one day. Listing price at the price another house got in March. But anticipate multiple offers & over asking. 

So I'm getting ready for pictures on the 21st. The new home closes next week on the 10th. I'll go back to Portland for that then run back to Bend & finish getting ready for pictures. All the personal pictures are down & in the garage. The Swarovski took about a day to get put away in the original containers. It fit in a big tote. Then I found another tote in the garage cabinets of Swarovski. I did not know that was there. All the shelves are cleaned off for the most part. WoScrapr put everyone of those pictures & knick knacks up. 

It has been a bit emotional. I've had to stop a few times. The night I told the Realtor to list it I cried as I talked to WoScrapr in bed about selling 'her' house. She loved it so much. Of course Eos came over to check on me as I was crying. So a bit of both sad to be letting the Bend house go & excited about the new house

Though her life was cut far too short, WoScrapr was a lucky lady. She found a mate who loved her dearly. I know a dog does not replace a spouse, but I am glad you have a friend to show you some love and caring in your tough times.  

FWIW, hugs from the Yoop.

• Hugs 1

13 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I built 2 of our houses while working full time and with little kids at home.  WoKzoo did an excellent job supporting me and helping with a hammer when she could.  We both really enjoyed the design parts down to room colors, light fixtures, carpet, windows.  We survived both builds.

• Heart 1

13 hours ago, Scrapr said:

40 minutes...I guess either LaPine, Prineville or possibly Madras/Terrebone.  That covers the North/South & East vectors. 40 minutes West puts you about the Sno parks West of HooDoo Ski area

Remembered it... They  are in a resort community near Sisters.  

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Remembered it... They  are in a resort community near Sisters.  

Black Butte. yeah, that is a nice place. Newer club house, pool & amenities. Horse back riding, golf, etc  Gated & enforced. BLM isn't going to break the castle walls there. 

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

You should try a visit them, as it is a nice area.

Yeah I’m certain we will.  My wife is close to this cousin (her younger brother is the guy who passed in February in Helena) and her aunt lives with them and she is my wife’s favorite aunt. She is really a sweet lady.  We normally try to visit at least annually, this year was kind of wonky though

I mentioned to my wife we should pack the bikes & drive up but may have to be next year.

• Heart 1