For the gearheads

BR46

52 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Is that a bent connecting rod in the top pic?

the piston and valve both seem incredibly unhappy.  Sleeve OK?  Can you just rebuild the bottom end with a new piston and rod?  

That is a bent connecting rod. The sleeve is junk. 

I will be able to save the high performance camshaft.  Maybe the cylinder head as for the crankshaft it will be cheaper to build a new one. The crankshaft is pressed together and I weld them together when I get them setup and trued.  I can save the transmission but there's nothing special about that. 

I'm going to pickup a different motor and start over. 

• Sad 1

Holy shit..  that must have been a loud knocking noise.

With the bottom of the piston missing..  I suppose it just broke apart, and slammed up into the valves.  The connection rod and crankshaft just never stopped... 

I was guessing you just had to know what happened.   You can sleep now.

43 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Going fast costs money.  How fast do you want to go?

So what do you think happened?  Seized gudgeon?  

The connecting rods are stock and under normal operating conditions are fine but this motor spends most of it life around 8,000 RPMs. So we are looking into see if the oil holes for the wrist pins need to be modified. 

The other piston looks good but the wrist pin connecting rod has a lot of slop and is blue from heat. I'm thinking that the piston that broke had the wrist pin seize. 

• Heart 2

9 hours ago, BR46 said:

That is a bent connecting rod. The sleeve is junk. 

I will be able to save the high performance camshaft.  Maybe the cylinder head as for the crankshaft it will be cheaper to build a new one. The crankshaft is pressed together and I weld them together when I get them setup and trued.  I can save the transmission but there's nothing special about that. 

I'm going to pickup a different motor and start over. 

If you’re getting a different motor might as well add a few cylinders.