Virtual Medical appointment

Tizeye

Never really thought much about it. Scheduled for my annual physical today. Yesterday they called and flipped it to virtual, giving instructions - nurse first, then be sure to terminate the Facetime so Dr can call in when ready...blah, blah. blah. The change was unexpected and later it hit me. How do you do a virtual physical? The nurse can't take my BP (which has come down), temp, respiration, and weight (down significantly - intentionally and per prior year recommendation). Actually, that was something was proud of, and anticipating positive reinforcement. Yes I can tell the nurse I had the flu shot last week and no problems with the maintaince medications been taking for years. Labs are good as already seen posted online. For the doctor, how will he listen to heart and lungs - or pick up on other unexpected things (a basal cell carcinoma was identified during a prior physical). And let's not forget that prostate exam (or PAP smear for ladies). Bend over...squeel...virtually of course.

I guess to take my weight, will have to put the phone on the floor and step on it. There has to be a app for that!

Should be an interesting appointment.

54 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Taking womaxx for a covid test this morning.  That can't be virtual.  It's one of the now standard "pre procedure" tests for any hospital or some dr office visits.  Colonoscopy and Endoscopy follow on Monday.  They won't be virtual either.

Congratulations on the weight loss.

Thanks. My goal is another 15 (or perhaps 10) lbs by Veterans Day. That would be my former military weight and want to see if can fit into my uniform (dress, not fatigues) that haven't worn for 30 years.  Probably should get a haircut...as haven't had one since February.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Probably should get a haircut...as haven't had one since February.

:TTIWWP:

Back earlier in the year when everything was shut down my appointments were virtual. The nurse had me weigh myself, take my blood pressure, and temp. Right after my virtual cardiologist appointment is when I had my heart attack. I don’t know if he would have caught anything if it was in person, we will never know.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

Back earlier in the year when everything was shut down my appointments were virtual. The nurse had me weigh myself, take my blood pressure, and temp. Right after my virtual cardiologist appointment is when I had my heart attack. I don’t know if he would have caught anything if it was in person, we will never know.

Why didn't they schedule the virtual heart attack?

• Heart 1

I can see virtual appointments for a number of items.  I had one with a dermatologist  that worked well.  I can also see some parts of a physical being done virtually, but I agree that it seems like some parts won't be done as well.   I had a check up with my doctor a few months ago, and the practice had some new procedures in place, but it was an in office visit.

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

Normally top of ear and tapered in back. Looking back, this is like back in 70’s.

had to play with lighting in room. Lamps and overhead out. Bouncing strobe (not flash) off wall in front.

5201487D-BDA1-49EC-AEB6-719A03B7534C.jpeg

3C03D4A2-353B-4466-9F42-3F2C042D1AC4.jpeg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

27 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Normally top of ear and tapered in back. Looking back, this is like back in 70’s.

had to play with lighting in room. Lamps and overhead out. Bouncing strobe (not flash) off wall in front.

5201487D-BDA1-49EC-AEB6-719A03B7534C.jpeg

3C03D4A2-353B-4466-9F42-3F2C042D1AC4.jpeg

Thanks for posting, you look good. Your hair didn’t get as wild as mine. Probably my wild beard helped with the wild look. I could have trimmed it myself but the girl that cuts my hair always did it so I just left it go. I like your shirt.

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I didn't know I had a brother in FL

Some folks pictures of themselves are few and far between. I like seeing my friends and knowing what they look like. A guy from the Love Forum found me in a crowd of 2,700 riders at an MS ride. Scott Raygor, he introduced himself or I wouldn’t have had a clue.

• Heart 1

Well that was a waste. Nothing to order other than standard labs for follow up in 6 month. It is the Medicare physical...which is a joke and what I thought this one was. It has virtually no hands on and is more a 'healthy living' survey/review. He did like my low BP and weight loss.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

11 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

I had a virtual appointment last month.  Lots of questions. I took my weight, bp, and heart rate beforehand. Doctor was worried that my heart rate was only 47 bpm. Had to explain that the 3000 miles of cycling just might have something to do with it. 

My heart rate is amazingly low at around 55, considering my mileage is more like only 500 or so per year. I do usually walk aboot a mile a day though. Not much, but I think the consistency is good. 

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, Tizeye said:

How do you do a virtual physical? The nurse can't take my BP (which has come down), temp, respiration, and weight (down significantly - intentionally and per prior year recommendation). Actually, that was something was proud of, and anticipating positive reinforcement. Yes I can tell the nurse I had the flu shot last week and no problems with the maintaince medications been taking for years. Labs are good as already seen posted online. For the doctor, how will he listen to heart and lungs - or pick up on other unexpected things (a basal cell carcinoma was identified during a prior physical). And let's not forget that prostate exam (or PAP smear for ladies). Bend over...squeel...virtually of course.

How about 'turn your head and cough.'   

I was lucky enough have had a real physical checkup 1 wk. just before covid restrictions came down in early March.  Last time I had a physical was 2 yrs. before.  So I was very grateful. During that visit, the doctor did anticipate shutting down in person examinations following wk., because she ordered 2 different lab tests for me to get by end of this yr.  So I already will have lab test appoint. early next month. Also got prescription renewal..which of course, now one can request physician....depending on drug and purpose. I had my ear checked/cleaned since was experiencing pain.   

Dearie has seen his cardiologist in person, a few months after his stent.  He also got his eye checked by opthamologist about 2 months ago.

I think it maybe slightly different ...because at different times, the rate of covid was lower in our jurisdictions. 

my annual appt with my PCP was virtual, but, I had seen my endocrinologist and oncologist in May.  they had taken BP and vitals, which were available to my PCP, as was a blood test.  my PCP has prescribed a statin to reduce my overall chloresterol, which tends to be borderline high (213)