Look what came up on my Facebook memory today.

Longjohn

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

How many years ago was that?  I know @petitepedal did the great adventure but forgot who the other three are.

That was four years ago.  Zealot and his wife on the left, I’m behind Petite, digital photog is next to petite and his friend Mike is behind him.  Mike isn’t on the forum but is a cool guy. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

The Zs live near the C&O Canal and have ridden the C&O many times. Mrs. Z Rode with us from Pittsburgh all the way until we were near her house and then she went home. She had a good night’s rest in her own bed and a shower. She prepared a celebration lunch for us and met us at the end of the canal. That’s why she was smiling. They are an awesome couple and I am so glad they went on the adventure with us.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Mike is a good guy.  Retired music teacher. Played drums in our band at church.  Shortly before that trip he lost his wife to cancer.  he had spent a couple years taking care of her and couldn't make any long trips like he had done before. He worked part time for a local bike shop.  When I told him that LJ and I were planning the trip he said it was one he always wanted to do.  I told him to come along.  Took some arm twisting. He didn't want to push in on us.  I'm glad I managed to talk him into doing it.  He is now remarried and living in Tuscon, AZ. He just did a trip with his daughter.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

Mike is a good guy.  Retired music teacher. Played drums in our band at church.  Shortly before that trip he lost his wife to cancer.  he had spent a couple years taking care of her and couldn't make any long trips like he had done before. He worked part time for a local bike shop.  When I told him that LJ and I were planning the trip he said it was one he always wanted to do.  I told him to come along.  Took some arm twisting. He didn't want to push in on us.  I'm glad I managed to talk him into doing it.  He is now remarried and living in Tuscon, AZ. He just did a trip with his daughter.

I really enjoyed riding with him. He was very experienced rider and when we were getting ready to leave in the morning he would be fiddling with his bike. He would say to go ahead and go, I’ll catch up. He usually did catch up but some times we wouldn’t see him until later at camp. Petite made many trips from our campsite out to the towpath to look for him. I think that might be where she picked up the ticks.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Dottles said:

Who are the folks in this picture?  Can somebody please identify them?  I know Petite.  I know Moses.  But the other four?  I feel like I know the guy in the back left.

•  
  •  
   21 hours ago, That was four years ago.  Zealot and his wife on the left, I’m behind Petite, digital photog is next to petite and his friend Mike is behind him.  Mike isn’t on the forum but is a cool guy. 
  •  

11 hours ago, Dottles said:

Who are the folks in this picture?  Can somebody please identify them?  I know Petite.  I know Moses.  But the other four?  I feel like I know the guy in the back left.

On 9/10/2020 at 7:03 AM, Longjohn said:

That was four years ago.  Zealot and his wife on the left, I’m behind Petite, digital photog is next to petite and his friend Mike is behind him.  Mike isn’t on the forum but is a cool guy. 

Ask and you shall receive -- even you asked later and it was received earlier.

• Haha 1

The Great Adventure was great fun, even for those of us following along virtually.  Much respect for the participants!  Had I ever started the adventure, I'd have left when the bug bites started.  Kudos to all the participants and I'm glad it has so many good memories for you all.

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Looks like a fun trip had it been dry!

It was a great trip with The gang back in 2016.  It was different doing it solo. It was fun still but in a different sort of way.

The GAP seems to have changed a bit, the local communities seem to have grown up around it a bit more.  It’s a lovely ride with lots of scenery. I met a lot of interesting people and got to help a couple folks out with some mechanical issues. 

• Awesome 2

34 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

my next bike will be a combination gravel/touring bike.  I am looking at a Richey breakaway. 

Sounds great and perfect for this kind of ride. I bought that old Trek in 16 just for the purpose of the Great Adventure. I built it up to tour.  I’ve had it on several tours since and it’s perfect.   Got some interesting comments on it along the way...

• Heart 2

7 minutes ago, Kirby said:

The Great Adventure was great fun, even for those of us following along virtually.  Much respect for the participants!  Had I ever started the adventure, I'd have left when the bug bites started.  Kudos to all the participants and I'm glad it has so many good memories for you all.

There are always bugs (except in the cold weather) when you do these kinds of things.  You learn how to mitigate the bites or to live with them.  I got into some chiggers this time, they are worse than mosquitoes as far as the itching goes. 😆 

16 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I really enjoyed riding with him. He was very experienced rider and when we were getting ready to leave in the morning he would be fiddling with his bike. He would say to go ahead and go, I’ll catch up. He usually did catch up but some times we wouldn’t see him until later at camp. Petite made many trips from our campsite out to the towpath to look for him. I think that might be where she picked up the ticks.

Mike was very enjoyable to talk with and has a great wealth of knowledge and experience. I’d enjoy following him on one of his coast to coast trips.

i think my favorite memory on the Adventure was the night we camped in Paw Paw. Sitting around and having a beer  with you all and getting to know each other better was very uplifting and reminds me why I do these things.  

The late night walk through the tunnel with @Digital_photog was very cool, rattlesnake and all!  

• Awesome 1

20 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Looks like a fun trip had it been dry!

It was fun even with the storm. We were a bit concerned when the lightning was crashing down all around us but there was no place to seek shelter so just kept going. The riding through the water was sort of fun in it’s own way. I’m not sure how that was for petite, she had a pretty good head start on us while we were in Hancock eating buffalo burgers and drinking beer. Probably a bit more frightful riding by yourself in that lightning storm. We caught up with her at the end of the rail trail as she was hugging someone’s porch.

• Heart 1

This photo came up today. It was a good picture but would have been better with the Zealots. They went home after mile zero and the four of us rode across town to our Airbnb. My phone was dead, petite’s phone was dead. Mike still had a charge on his gps so he was leading I was trying to keep him in sight ahead of me and petite in sight behind me. That was the hardest part of the ride for me. If I lost Mike I’d have to find a place to charge my phone and get directions. On the trail we could each go our own speed and nobody could get lost. 
44E16772-3874-410F-AC9B-7E78183DFF91.jpeg.9c1e75c406c36cb1a2dd147ae5873b04.jpeg

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

This photo came up today. It was a good picture but would have been better with the Zealots. They went home after mile zero and the four of us rode across town to our Airbnb. My phone was dead, petite’s phone was dead. Mike still had a charge on his gps so he was leading I was trying to keep him in sight ahead of me and petite in sight behind me. That was the hardest part of the ride for me. If I lost Mike I’d have to find a place to charge my phone and get directions. On the trail we could each go our own speed and nobody could get lost. 
44E16772-3874-410F-AC9B-7E78183DFF91.jpeg.9c1e75c406c36cb1a2dd147ae5873b04.jpeg

What route did you guys take into the Mall?  There are some good paths but also scary roads.

29 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

What route did you guys take into the Mall?  There are some good paths but also scary roads.

We took the scary roads. It was whatever Mikes GPS told him. We got yelled at by people in cars “get off the road”. I was uncomfortable riding through a city with a dead phone. I had a dynamo on my bike to keep the phone charged but it died on the second day. I have come to depend on my phone too much. There were no cell phones or GPS when I drove truck and I did fine. I was worried about petite and she kept getting further and further behind. I dropped back from Mike and DP as far as I dared so she could see where I turned. If my phone worked I would have called those guys and told them to wait for us. At one traffic light petite caught up with me, I told her I know you are exhausted but you are going to have to push harder because we don’t know how to get to the Airbnb and our phones don’t work. We made it but next time I’m bringing a bigger power bank so I don’t get in that situation again

• Heart 1