Thanks Lad for the many wonderful memories over the last 14 years.

sheep_herder

Oh I am so sorry to hear this. :(  But I'm glad Lad had a life any dog would envy - a loving companion, lots of space to run and explore, and days filled with a purpose.  It doesn't make the loss any easier now, but I hope all the happy memories will bring you comfort.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

What a great dog who has had a great life!  It's hard to think of a better home for him. A place where he was loved and cared for. Where he had a job, many animal friends, places to roam & explore, and, most of all, two fantastic parents watching over him!

I am sorry for what will be a big loss for you and your wife, but Lad has been blessed having you and you've been blessed having him, so that and many great memories may comfort you in a tough time.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, roadsue said:

How are the other dogs doing? Sapphire’s friend on the other side of the fence had it tough after he was gone. He kept climbing up on the neighbor’s shed and jumping into our yard to find him. 

My daughters in-laws’ pug was never the same after their Westie died. The Westie was the leader of the pack. 

2 hours ago, roadsue said:

How are the other dogs doing? Sapphire’s friend on the other side of the fence had it tough after he was gone. He kept climbing up on the neighbor’s shed and jumping into our yard to find him. 

Lad was the house dog, and only interacted with the others when they went for walks in the pasture. he has not been very active the last couple of weeks, partly the reason for our decision.  Lad slept in the house,  and the other sleep in their kennel or 3-season porch. They did not seem any different last night or this morning. One must remember they have their jobs to do: Tag gathers the sheep; Shadie checks on the horses and then the sheep; and Duke does a lot of messing around and being loved by the lambs.

33 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I should add, that Lad was my wife's constant companion, day and night.

That means this will be even more difficult for your wife.  Her shadow is gone...  :(

Whenever we lose a dog (normally we have 2) in a few weeks something unusual happens and a new dog arrives to live with us.   Karma... or fate finds us a new dog.    I hope you are this lucky.. 

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

That means this will be even more difficult for your wife.  Her shadow is gone...  :(

Whenever we lose a dog (normally we have 2) in a few weeks something unusual happens and a new dog arrives to live with us.   Karma... or fate finds us a new dog.    I hope you are this lucky.. 

We had 4, but none of the other 3 are quite the same as Lad. Shadie is house broken, and may move inside for a bit. She has warmed up to my wife during the year we've had her. Shadie is 6 yo. We may be too old to start again with a puppy. Besides, although Duke is 3 yo, we both feel he is and acts like a puppy.