9/12 miles & such

bikeman564™

It was raining here all morning.    No dog walk. 

But...  9/12 was the day for the 2020 Walk to End Alzheimer's - Illinois Valley

WoBG and I were on the planning committee and we got the opportunity to get up early (since I retired) and set up the Promise Garden in the rain.  :(   And we got to take down the promise garden later in the day.  We replanted the flowers outside a nursing home (a sponsor) for the residents to see. 

The walk was 'virtual' this year.  

@Old No. 7 will appreciate this story. 

On Saturday, as the TdF stage finished, my wife looked at the weather app, and the rain in Shenandoah and Skyline was gone!  She said let's go try to camp up at Mathews Arm, so I thought a second and said why not?  I loaded the camping stuff ASAP, tossed the bike onto the rack, and got other stuff sorted as she rounded up food, sleeping bags, etc.  Out the door and to the Park entrance by 1:30-ish.  As we started ascending the road, we noticed some water on the windshield, and then, as we rolled past ~1,500' - 2,000' or so, we actually entered the clouds trapped by the mountain.  No rain - just constant mist.  At overlooks, the valleys below were clear, but as we climbed towards the campsite, visibility was down to under 100' and pretty sketchy in some places.

Anyway, got to the campground, found a lovely place with the trees providing a bit of coverage from the clouds, but still socked in for the afternoon.  I opted against a ride despite having my front and rear blinkies, and figured I could go in the AM.  Sadly, in the AM, the clouds returned!  We took a hike instead.  As we finally hit the road at noon, we spent the first half of the drive in the clouds, but eventually dropped below them for the ride home.  Never had that happen ever in all the years I've been riding and camping there.

IMG_9095.thumb.jpg.25c61fbf20700e53359ede7427ca26fe.jpg

Just now, Old No. 7 said:

Still sounds like a good trip even if you hauled your bike for naught. Weather up there can be unpredictable. I’ve learned just to roll with it. 

Oh, it was GREAT.  Perfect weather, a great site, the dog was happy, and we slept like babies :D

On the drive down, I wanted to warn the cyclists coming up that the clouds were socked in, but they'd find out soon enough.

• Awesome 1