The world is an amazing place

Chopped Liver

hey, I've seen the Southern Cross, the Northern lights, erupting volcanoes, jungle waterfalls, 2 Worlds Fairs, a prison rodeo and been in storms at sea

I don't need a link to know this is an amazing place :D

Backpacking trip in Roaring Plains in Feb 2013, was camped at the highest elevation and that night under a cold, crisp cloudless sky, I laid and watched the stars with an awe I hadn't felt since I was a child. It was like I could reach out and touch them. Sublime!!!

And was treated to an amazing meteor shower.

When I went off to college, me and several other people went out to Chewacla State Park with a cooler full of brews, a guitar and a blanket.

We spent the entire night sipping suds, playing songs on that cheap ass guitar, and watching the meteor shower.   There was supposed to be an astronomy club set up out there, but we never found them.  Anyway, that was just a great night.

I love getting out of the city area, where you can really see how many stars are out there.

My wife was raised in a DC suburb.  The first time I took her up to the area of NYS in which I grew up, it was nighttime and we pulled over to the side of the road to get out and look at the stars.  I will never forget how awed she was.

Mother Nature is truly amazing.  I can sit and stare at her work for hours.  This is one of my favorite places, a little bit west of Albany, taken just about one year ago.

160_zpsf41fffb4.jpg

• Heart 2

Ok you two, share something. Nate, tell me about seeing the Southern Cross.

The Southern Cross is a constellation with a big green start at the top of it. You can only see it in the southern hemisphere, but in the tropics, it will be low on the southern horizon. Its a big deal for sailors because it meant you sailed far from home

the green star is really something to see.

You know how there is that red star in Orion?

This is bigger and brighter and clearly green

nothing like it in the northern sky

The Southern Cross is a constellation with a big green start at the top of it. You can only see it in the southern hemisphere, but in the tropics, it will be low on the southern horizon. Its a big deal for sailors because it meant you sailed far from home

the green star is really something to see.

You know how there is that red star in Orion?

This is bigger and brighter and clearly green

nothing like it in the northern sky

I'ts used the same as the big dipper in the Northern Hemisphere.....for navigation.  Ships south of the equator used to use it with a sextant to find there way around places.

you guys want to see stars, go camping in the southwestern desert in Arizona and New Mexico

but the best place you will ever see is on a ship out in the big blue ocean when you've been out of sight of land for days

you guys want to see stars, go camping in the southwestern desert in Arizona and New Mexico

but the best place you will ever see is on a ship out in the big blue ocean when you've been out of sight of land for days

Yup, best stars I've ever seen were from the bow of a cruise ship halfway between California and Hawaii and the middle of the Navajo reservation in northeastern AZ.

Ditto the desert night sky. The closest I've ever been to "out to sea" was in the middle of Lake Michigan. However, we were quite a ways north (very little light pollution) and the sky was just beautiful.

I did that for four nights on a trip along the C&O one April. The guy who suggested doing that trip in April was an idiot, and I was an idiot for agreeing to it.

No, you weren't an idiot. At least not for that reason... ;-)

You have to admit, the mornings were refreshing, were they not?!

No, you weren't an idiot. At least not for that reason... ;-)

You have to admit, the mornings were refreshing, were they not?!

I do agree the mornings were refreshing.  I found myself wishing the temperatures all night long weren't quite so 'refreshing'!  All part of an excellent adventure, and one of the parts of which I laugh at myself.

Now, to do the GAP.

But not in April. ;)

The Carribean/Atlantic is amazing at night.  When you get far enough away from any inhabited/developed islands, the sky just opens up with thousands of little blue dots.  The ocean becomes this dark, dark almost black shade of blue with white caps reflecting the moonlight.  It was beautiful, and I can easily see how some people fall in love with Mother Ocean.

The Carribean/Atlantic is amazing at night.  When you get far enough away from any inhabited/developed islands, the sky just opens up with thousands of little blue dots.  The ocean becomes this dark, dark almost black shade of blue with white caps reflecting the moonlight.  It was beautiful, and I can easily see how some people fall in love with Mother Ocean.

I've stood on the beach late at night and gazed at the stars out over the ocean. I'm sure that's not exactly the same, but it is still spectacular.

Some day I'll take a cruise and see the sky as you describe here.

but you can see why I'd say that this April was a real ass freezer, though, right?

Did some hiking/camping early this year - between feb and apr. Yes, cold. But I love the cold! On one trip we even got lost - bad map - and got hit with one of those crazy snows! Was a blast!

When we go to Haiti the night sky is amazing. We are in the mountains but can see to the ocean. Some evenings there is a haze from the humidity but in the early morning the sky is usually crystal clear. It's easy to just get lost in it. :)

Cape Cod is another place that has a good night sky. The cape extends about 50 miles intot he Atlantic, so like an island, when you don't have a lot of light pollution, you get an effect like being out at sea

that's why the night sky at sea is so awesome. We don't even realize how much light pollution we have around here at night, especially in the eastern US

Cape Cod is another place that has a good night sky. The cape extends about 50 miles intot he Atlantic, so like an island, when you don't have a lot of light pollution, you get an effect like being out at sea

that's why the night sky at sea is so awesome. We don't even realize how much light pollution we have around here at night, especially in the eastern US

My wife was raised in a DC suburb.  The first time I took her up to the area of NYS in which I grew up, it was nighttime and we pulled over to the side of the road to get out and look at the stars.  I will never forget how awed she was.

Mother Nature is truly amazing.  I can sit and stare at her work for hours.  This is one of my favorite places, a little bit west of Albany, taken just about one year ago.

160_zpsf41fffb4.jpg

I meant to comment on this picture yesterday, but work and the stock market got in the way.

I would love to hike up to that.....just sit there for half a day w/ a coke, a granola bar, and my wife.

That is a very pretty picture.

I meant to comment on this picture yesterday, but work and the stock market got in the way.

I would love to hike up to that.....just sit there for half a day w/ a coke, a granola bar, and my wife.

That is a very pretty picture.

thanks - it really was a perfect day to be there.  You may be disappointed to learn that I was standing in a parking lot leaning against a short stone wall when I took this.  This is at John Boyd Thacher State Park about a dozen miles west of Albany, NY, atop the "Helderberg Escarpment", a very cool geologic feature.  On a clear day (like the one pictured) you can see the Green Mountains in Vermont from up there.

When I was in high school, and during summers home from college, I used to drive up there often and just sit and stare.  I miss having that place nearby.

thanks - it really was a perfect day to be there.  You may be disappointed to learn that I was standing in a parking lot leaning against a short stone wall when I took this.  This is at John Boyd Thacher State Park about a dozen miles west of Albany, NY, atop the "Helderberg Escarpment", a very cool geologic feature.  On a clear day (like the one pictured) you can see the Green Mountains in Vermont from up there.

When I was in high school, and during summers home from college, I used to drive up there often and just sit and stare.  I miss having that place nearby.

How far off the AT is it?

I just bought this puppy in June (in a thrift store), and can't wait to get it out to the desert. I still have a little work to do on the optics, but nothing major. Ive already fixed the drive motor. I'm excited to make the jump from 4 inches to 8 inches (insert joke here).

c80bb7ff-03dc-459b-88a3-b1060873e3ed_zps

How far off the AT is it?

Looks like just over 40 straight-line miles at its closest point.  By the time you get to Albany's latitude the trail's already in Massachusetts.  But the AT goes right over the top of Mount Greylock (highest point in MA) which is an even better, 360-degree view.