Would You?

Airehead

10 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Of course!  I can't figure out why anyone wouldn't ride it, it rides on tracks and never wrecks, so how could that be scary?

It’s the fleeting thought that the device holding me in place is small and the forces acting on this machine are big. 

39 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Does it ONLY go forward? Or does it do stuff in reverse?  I can't handle the sudden slamming that you get when a coaster is running in reverse through corkscrews or loops. I don't know which way to brace and it ends up giving me a near concussion.

I think just forward. 

23 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

I’m game for that. As long as my glasses keys or mobile device don’t go flying off. 

Kirby will hold your stuff. 

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Hell yes...   WoBG and I took more than a few trips just to ride roller coasters.  

My favorite wood track roller coaster is 'The Beast' at Kings Island.  We rode just after a rainstorm, so the track was faster than normal.  And it has 2 lifted drops.

For a while I lived a few hundred yards from Ocean View Park in Ocean View VA, site of the famous old wooden roller coaster that was featured in the movie "The Death of Ocean View Park"   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_View_Amusement_Park

After a while we barely noticed the sound.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, Airehead said:

Will you ride it with me?  This is the Yukon Striker in Canada. It is the world's tallest, longest and fastest "Dive Coaster".

Maybe we can get a bus trip with a group rate.

If Wilbur was we would have a chance to get a plane instead of a bus.

• Heart 1

Roller coaster related fatalities, United States, 1994–2004

1. A R Pelletier1, 
  2. J Gilchrist2

Author affiliations

Abstract

Objective: To determine the number of fatalities related to roller coasters and examine factors common to multiple incidents.

Methods: A case was defined as the death of a person, which was associated with a roller coaster in the United States between 15 May 1994 and 14 May 2004. Cases were identified from four data sources: (1) Consumer Product Safety Commission, (2) Lexis-Nexis, (3) Medline, and (4) Saferparks.

Results: Forty people, ranging in age from 7 to 77 years, were killed in 39 separate incidents. Twenty nine (73%) deaths occurred among roller coaster patrons. Eleven fatalities resulted from external causes related to injuries from falls or collisions. Eighteen people died from medical conditions that might have been caused or exacerbated by riding a roller coaster; 15 were the result of intracranial hemorrhages or cardiac problems. Eleven (28%) deaths involved employees; all were 

caused by injuries.

Conclusions: Approximately four deaths annually in the United States are associated with roller coasters. Prevention of roller coaster fatalities is dependent on establishing an effective surveillance system for amusement ride injuries, engineering rides to better protect both patrons and employees, improving training and supervision of employees regarding safety precautions, and posting cautionary notices near roller coasters for people with specified medical conditions. Further research is needed on roller coaster related deaths resulting from intracranial hemorrhages and cardiac problems.

I guess they are safer than they look. No reports of cars coming off the track and dozens of people crashing to their deaths. Of course this was an old study.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

On 9/14/2020 at 9:06 PM, Bikeguy said:

Hell yes...   WoBG and I took more than a few trips just to ride roller coasters.  

My favorite wood track roller coaster is 'The Beast' at Kings Island.  We rode just after a rainstorm, so the track was faster than normal.  And it has 2 lifted drops.

I have ridden the Beast multiple times.  Probably more than 10.  I love it.

• Heart 1