Another for the big Nope List

Square Wheels

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

I would not jump out of a plane, on purpose, for any reason.  With or without a parachute.

What about if you first did some training in one of those sky-diving wind tunnels? Then a tandem jump from low altitude, and then slowly worked up over years to say 10,000 hours of experience?  Not even then?

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

What about if you first did some training in one of those sky-diving wind tunnels? Then a tandem jump from low altitude, and then slowly worked up over years to say 10,000 hours of experience?  Not even then?

The question is more of a why, than a why not.  There is nothing compelling me to do it.

I watched it live when he did it. Crazy stuff. As far as the force of the landing goes, it doesn't really matter how far up you jump/ Once you reach terminal velocity (about 120mph) the force doesn't increase. The big problem is accuracy and unpredictable winds aloft. Get blown off course and you're totally screwed...

20 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

The question is more of a why, than a why not.  There is nothing compelling me to do it.

Have you sky dived?  How about one of those wind tunnels?

Most folks don't actually know if they like/dislike something until they give it a whirl.  Food is one simple example, but  it pretty much goes across all categories. 

More Mikey!

12 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I would not jump out of a plane, on purpose, for any reason.  With or without a parachute.

The only time I'd jump out of a plane, with a parachute, would be if there was a problem with the plane.

When I was working, one customer had an engineer who I met with on a regular basis.  One day Gary told me about how he likes to sky dive.  I told him... no way would jump out a perfectly good plane.  

A year later, I met Gary for a meeting. He was using crutches to walk down the hall to the meeting room.  I asked... 'So you are still sky diving?'  Yeah...  I landed hard on the last jump.

Nope... never...  

9 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

The only time I'd jump out of a plane, with a parachute, would be if there was a problem with the plane.

When I was working, one customer had an engineer who I met with on a regular basis.  One day Gary told me about how he likes to sky dive.  I told him... no way would jump out a perfectly good plane.  

A year later, I met Gary for a meeting. He was using crutches to walk down the hall to the meeting room.  I asked... 'So you are still sky diving?'  Yeah...  I landed hard on the last jump.

Nope... never...  

When the rewards are greater than the risk, a broken something is a temporary setback. Did he go back, or was that an equation changing injury?