How many languages do you speak?

Square Wheels

I can speak some French, Spanish and Italian

I can read Italian better than I can speak it

I speak music and mathematics and I can read German well enough to read music treatises in their original German, which is the language all the major ones were written in

as a professional, I've been paid money to write in C++, VB, C# Java, Perl, TSQL, JavaScript, and I also am fluent with Mathematica's proprietary language

this is why I always say you city slickers are a buncha idiots

How many words in a language do you need to know to get credit for knowing that language?

you should be able to go out on the town, order dinner, find a hotel, get a room, and be able to get your face slapped in a bar by a local stripper

Nate, anyone can cut ad paste that definition from Merriam-Webster.

you know, Wheels, even though I didn't list it, I actually do speak English but I have no idea what you are trying to say right there

Gaelig is a neat language. Its part of the Indo-European language family, but its sort of its own branch. The grammar is very different from the other European languages

I tried learning Gaelig a few years ago, but I gave up. I was trying to teach myself from a book, and the pronunciation just can't be learned that way 

I had a tape version with different sayings.. I understand it more when someone talks, but not really sure how to answer back... I wanted to learn some so I could talk to bartenders when I was in southern ireland.