The 1970's rocked

Parr8hed

7 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

But I don't really want a 1970's table in my newly painted house.  It's a big, heavy, super dope table... that looks like it belongs in the 70's.  So we sanded it down and refinished the top.  We're gonna paint the legs white and put a poly finish over the stain.  

back when shit was made good and to last.

• Heart 1

Back in the seventies we had a bunch of foster kids plus the baby we were adopting. We needed a bigger table. Our friends liked the size table that we had and offered to trade us. My wife refinished the new table because it looked like it was made in the seventies the 1870s. We still have that table but not in the dining room. It’s downstairs with bike stuff piled on it.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

Most of our furniture is from the 50’s. My wife really loved her Grandparents tables & lamps so when her Grandmother passed my wife inherited her stuff.  Her Grandfather worked overseas for the govt for much of the 40’s & 50’s and purchased the tables upon their return in the late 50’s.

The home we are in now was built in the late 70's .   The interior was remodeled (we bought it from a home flipper).  The walls are block construction, and with lower ceilings than we had before (that home was built in 1995) our electric bills are cheaper, even with an older A/C and heat pump.

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

The home we are in now was built in the late 70's .   The interior was remodeled (we bought it from a home flipper).  The walls are block construction, and with lower ceilings than we had before (that home was built in 1995) our electric bills are cheaper, even with an older A/C and heat pump.

So you live in a newer home

• Haha 1

You used to get solid wood vs veneer, joined wood, etc.

You can get old 1980's Yamaha acoustic guitars on eBay for cheap prices that have solid spruce backs - better soundboards.  I took one I got several years ago for $90 into the local guitar center and we, a store expert and me, compared the sound to $500 to $1200 new guitars sold there.  We decided you had to go to $800 to get ones that sound very slightly better than it.

It's somewhat the same with piano sound boards - very hard to find solid ones in a reasonably priced piano, though I think electric pianos are slowly becoming close to as good.

Then there are alto saxophones.  A lot of college marching band members like the Selmer alto saxes made in Ohio in the 1980's. You can sometimes find them on eBay for $200-$300. They're a little on the heavy side but sound great and if you drop them there's likely to be no damage.  The newer stuff in the $500 range is made in China and so thin you can bend the metal on the horn 45° without damage because it's all so think  The equivalent to the Selmer is in the $1200-$2000 range.