Have you ever been killed in an elevator accident?

Randomguy

A respected lecturer at Boston University was killed in what is believed to be a freak elevator accident.

Boston police found Carrie O'Connor, 38, inside the elevator in her apartment building, Sergeant Detective John Boyle told CNN. The building is off campus.
Her death was ruled an accident, Boyle said, caused by "traumatic asphyxia," which usually results when a heavy object suddenly crushes the chest.
Police are still investigating the details of O'Connor's death, but witnesses told CNN affiliate WBZ Connor was loading a box into an elevator in her apartment building when the elevator suddenly plunged.

"It was horrifying," fellow tenant Leanne Scorzoni told WBZ of the incident. "I would never want to hear that. Ever. It wasn't even a cry. I can't even describe what it was."

State officials told boston.com the elevator in the Commonwealth Avenue apartment building had been inspected recently.

Just now, Randomguy said:

I have been trapped in an elevator a couple of times, but only briefly.  Nothing like in that Bruce Willis Christmas movie or anything, though.

I am pretty sure that I had a phone booth turn into an elevator that took me to meet Ghengis Khan.    My brother Chuck ate a chocolate bar and won a factory that has a bad ass elevator in it.

• Haha 1

When I was in college I was a night watchman in a high rise. I was half asleep making my rounds and about to walk into what I thought was an open elevator.  About 3 steps from entering the elevator & in my 1/2 awake state something didn’t seem right so I stopped.  I then realized the doors were open into an empty elevator shaft!   

I was up in the higher floors, 18th or so and it definitely would have been a fatal fall.

• Heart 2
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

I coded a patient in the ED once.  Got a pulse and BP back and somewhat stabilized her.  Transported to ICU and got stuck in the elevator for about 10 minutes.  Just me, a tech, and the patient.  Fortunately we didn't have to code her again. 

Along those lines, the elevators from an ED to an ICU are horrible.  Lots of things happen in those elevators, the most notable is when the patients always seem to shit themselves.  They get to the ICU or the med surg floor and have shit on them.    "I don't know man, they were not like that in the ED... must have done it in the elevator".  

We were moving a client to their new building. They were still finishing construction, but their lease at the old building was up. They were still getting the final wiring for the elevator controls completed but we had to move a large plotter and cartloads of PCs, etc. We needed the elevator. The elevator doors were always open on both floors. If the elevator was on your floor, you would walk in a a man above would say "Going up?" or "going down?" There would be sparks above and then you would very slowly go up or down in the darkness with occassional sparks. If the elevator wasn't on your floor, you would yell up the shaft and the guy would raise or lower it to you. This went on for about a week before they got it completed. Never felt in danger, but it was kind of eery!

I was in college and a bunch of us jumped into a car and headed off-campus to a sub shop for lunch.

There was a new girl in the car: Jane!  I was smitten immediately.

We arranged to meet for lunch, just us two, the next day, after which we had different classes but in the same building and getting to them meant getting on the ELEVATOR.

Jane said, "Lets take the steps," and I asked why and Jane said, "I'm afraid of elevators."

I talked her into getting in the elevator - no one else was in it but us - so I started jumping up and down and making the car rock and saying, "See? It's not going to fall."

As Jane got angrier and angrier, the car stalled between floors!  We were STUCK IN AN ELEVATOR!

There was an emergency phone in the elevator and somebody got it working again in just a few minutes.

Jane didn't speak to me for at least a week, but we remained friends or more until after I graduated.

We lost touch after I moved to Chicago to go to grad school at IIT.

4 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I was in college and a bunch of us jumped into a car and headed off-campus to a sub shop for lunch.

There was a new girl in the car: Jane!  I was smitten immediately.

We arranged to meet for lunch, just us two, the next day, after which we had different classes but in the same building and getting to them meant getting on the ELEVATOR.

Jane said, "Lets take the steps," and I asked why and Jane said, "I'm afraid of elevators."

I talked her into getting in the elevator - no one else was in it but us - so I started jumping up and down and making the car rock and saying, "See? It's not going to fall."

As Jane got angrier and angrier, the car stalled between floors!  We were STUCK IN AN ELEVATOR!

There was an emergency phone in the elevator and somebody got it working again in just a few minutes.

Jane didn't speak to me for at least a week, but we remained friends or more until after I graduated.

We lost touch after I moved to Chicago to go to grad school at IIT.

Was “Love in an Elevator” your song after that?

• Heart 1

23 hours ago, ChrisL said:

When I was in college I was a night watchman in a high rise. I was half asleep making my rounds and about to walk into what I thought was an open elevator.  About 3 steps from entering the elevator & in my 1/2 awake state something didn’t seem right so I stopped.  I then realized the doors were open into an empty elevator shaft!   

I was up in the higher floors, 18th or so and it definitely would have been a fatal fall.

At my first job, an employee of a client did what you did, but went down. He died and got a two sentence blurb in the paper. 

• Sad 1