I have a bunch of beans in cans, all different kinds. What do I do with them?

Randomguy

I have been making great baked beans, but I am kind of burning out on them and I don't really want to totally burn out on them.

What else can I do with all my damn beans?  I have red kidney, cannellini, pinto, black, great northern right here just looking at me.  What would you make?  What should I make?

Ridiculously Easy Bean Salad  it is really delicious, mix and match

• PREP 10mins
  • TOTAL 10mins

The beans you choose to use for this simple bean salad is up to you. Both canned or home cooked beans will work. When using canned, drain and rinse the beans first before adding to the salad.

Makes about 6 cups

YOU WILL NEED

3 (15-ounce) cans beans, drained and rinsed or use 4 1/2 cups cooked beans

1/2 medium onion, finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)

1 medium cucumber, finely chopped (about 2 cups)

3 tablespoons drained capers

1/2 cup (60 grams) finely chopped fresh parsley, see notes

3/4 teaspoon dried oregano, see notes

• FOR THE SALAD

1/4 cup (60 ml) red wine vinegar

1/4 cup (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

1 to 2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup, optional

3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste

1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

• FOR THE DRESSING

DIRECTIONS

Add chopped onions to a small bowl and cover with cold water. Set aside for 5 minutes, drain, and then rinse. This step helps to remove some of the “raw” flavor of the onion so that it does not overpower the salad.

Meanwhile, in the bottom of a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, mustard, salt and pepper. Taste the dressing and then adjust with more salt/pepper. If the dressing tastes too abrasive, whisk in 1 to 2 teaspoons of honey or maple syrup to balance out the vinegar.

Add the beans, drained onion, cucumber, parsley, capers and dried oregano. Toss well, cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 1 hour to allow the beans to marinate in the dressing.

The salad will keep stored in an airtight container in the fridge up to 4 days.

ADAM AND JOANNE'S TIPS

• Honey/Maple Syrup: Depending on the vinegar you use, you might find the dressing a little too vinegary. To balance this out, simply whisk in a little sweetener like honey or maple syrup.
  • Fresh herbs: Parsley is classic in this salad, but other fine herbs work nicely, too. Try basil, mint, dill, cilantro or tarragon. When using tarragon, use a bit less than what is called for in the recipe above since it has a stronger flavor.
  • Dried herbs: I enjoy dried oregano in this salad, but other herb blends will work nicely. Try an Italian, Mediterranean or French dried spice blend (like Herbes de Provence).
  • Nutrition Facts: The nutrition facts provided below are estimates. We have used the USDA database to calculate approximate values.
  • Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Chili is the obvious choice and that's one thing.

Cannellini beans - and you can sub Great Northern beans for them - also go great in soups, from simple ham and bean soup to the more complicated Pasta Fazool, real name Pasta E Fagioli (Pasta and Beans), which has cannellini beans, pasta - usually small pasta or elbow macaroni - as well as bacon or pancetta, tomatoes, cheese, onion and seasonings and whatever else you want to use up.  My cousin married into an Italian family and makes great Pasta Fazool.

Do you have a food processor? Put a can of drained beans, a can of diced tomatoes with green chiles, and shredded cheese in the food processor. Run til smooth. Heat to a simmer on the stove or bake in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes. Season as you wish; chile powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, mexican oregano, taco seasoning, hot sauce. Use as a dip. Quesadilla filling, nacho fixings, burritos. Combine with eggs, tortillas, salsa and cheese like migas, chilaquiles, or casseroles if you're from the Paris of Ohio. jeez louise, use your imagination.

• Heart 1

25 best bean recipes from Love and Lemons blog.  Also, enter a particular kind of bean in the search function, and you'll find more recipes for that particular kind of bean.

https://www.loveandlemons.com/bean-recipes/

The bean bowls looked good

https://www.loveandlemons.com/adzuki-beans-recipe/

• Heart 1