Wow - grocery shopping related

Randomguy

I went into Whole Foods tonight, spent $60, and only had 4 items that didn't go into the fridge or freezer.  The four items were: 1 additional can of beans, 2 potatoes, 3 tomatoes, and two onions.  Lots and lots of veggies, a rotisserie chicken, and a cheap pound of ground beef.  I did buy a pint of ice cream (peach ice cream with 'biscuits") for that end of summer feel.

I am now too hungry and tired to decide what to eat.

• Heart 1

One thing that I seem to only buy 1-2 times per month....is some meat. And I buy a small amount to cut up and freeze 2-3 small portions.  If I don't count thin proscuitto slices or speck slices from an Italian deli.  

Still, the grocery bill per wk. isn't cheap.  I do look for seasonal local produce, especially now and buy certain things on sale. Sometimes I just have to buy certain things. I don't get too obsessed over pricing (meaning counting every penny to save) since I have to eat in a healthy way.

I rarely buy frozen food, except peas (in winter) and ice cream (which I haven't bought any for home this year). I've never had interest buying soft drinks. I do occasionally buy mineral water.

Been buying enough tea bags,...working from home means alot more tea bags.

Come to think of it, I haven't had a gelato for myself since last Jan.  We have some good handmade stuff locally but I've just lost interest this yr. I can't explain it.

1 hour ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

I normally don;t go to Whole Foods (Whole Paycheck, as someone I know playfully named it), but I do go for the bulk nuts and grains.  No one else carries them that way,and they are actually cheaper than packaged at other stores.

Whole Foods is the second cheapest grocery store in NYC (only Trader Joe's is less expensive).  You can still find massively expensive things there (the meat primarily, but my pound of 80/20 hamburger was $4.99 and the rotisserie whole chicken was $7.99), but the produce is incredibly reasonable since Amazon bought them out, and they have very inexpensive staples like olive oil and such now. 

Speaking of bulk grains and nuts, I am shocked that anyone would buy those bulk, rats and bugs are literally crawling through the bulk bins when the lights are off, and there is no way that stuff stays fresh in the bins, it is nothing but oxidation and sadness all the time.  I buy nuts at Trader Joe's, they have the freshest nuts, and they are in airtight packages without the disease-carriers in with them.

50 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

WTF MAN?!?!?!?!? You could buy two or three POUNDS of dried beans for what you paid for those beans in a can!  Now what are you gonna do with your afternoon?

Sure, except you can't in NYC.  No grocery stores in Manhattan devote the space to dried beans, they don't sell enough to justify the space they take up is what it seems.  Lentils seem to the exception.   

I am sure you can find  dried beans in the outer boroughs, but I am not going to make an hour+ trip to the netherworld to buy beans and hand carry them back another hour or more.  If I do come across some randomly, I am sure I will pick some up.

Just now, Randomguy said:

Sure, except you can't in NYC.  No grocery stores in Manhattan devote the space to dried beans, they don't sell enough to justify the space they take up is what it seems.  Lentils seem to the exception.   

I am sure you can find  dried beans in the outer boroughs, but I am not going to make an hour+ trip to the netherworld to buy beans and hand carry them back another hour or more.  If I do come across some randomly, I am sure I will pick some up.

Your dedication to the dried bean cause is both underwhelming yet warmly appreciated.  Chapeau!

• Heart 1

I stopped buying certain items bulk.  They tend to be stale.  

We have no whole foods here.  We have a regional grocer and few bigger ones.  No Costco, no TJs. 

The regional place has sub par veggies.  That place is the cheapest in town. 

There is probably NYC inflation that RG is paying.  I heard everything costs more.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I stopped buying certain items bulk.  They tend to be stale.  

We have no whole foods here.  We have a regional grocer and few bigger ones.  No Costco, no TJs. 

The regional place has sub par veggies.  That place is the cheapest in town. 

There is probably NYC inflation that RG is paying.  I heard everything costs more.

But you do have farmers' markets? I bet you also have great APPLES!!!

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

@Randomguy, you would be horrified about the unwashed masses in our store.  

Ah, the unwashed are everywhere. 

Bulk bins freak me out, I wouldn't want to be touching things the anti-maskers are touching.  I am sure that toilet paper and hand-washing are as big an imposition as masks are in the support base.  "First they condition you to wash your hands, the next minute they are training you to be pedophiles from the deep (psychotic) state!  Nothing but mind control while they destroy the suburbs and society and turn kids gay, that is their whole agenda!"    I would have a hard time with the idiots for sure.

• Awesome 1

12 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Just the little vine-ripened ones, not the fancy ones.

Vine-ripened or simply "on the vine"?  They get you with that nonsense.  Those dopey ones still attached to the vine are often just as hard and tasteless as the ones off the vine. AND they charge you more for them despite doing less work presenting them!!!

I get overstocked with meat and then don't buy any for a couple weeks.  I'm still finishing off the 4 lbs of steak I bought in March in a block of meat I cut into 6-8 oz. portions and the boneless pork chops I bought a month ago.  I may not need meat until November.

• Heart 1