Reactions to employee profile

shootingstar

So mine got published on intranet.  A couple thousand employees have access to the intranet if they feel like reading anything on it ..instead of just logging in their time sheet to get paid.

Rather interesting who responds....  most people made a comment about my cycling habit.  Another person wanted to know about the degree program I took ...decades ago. I'm gonna have to give her some sugar coated truths and try to find out what she's hoping for..  And this is gonna sound terrible of me, but she must be at least in her late 40's, early 50's.  Going for a 2nd degree at that time in life for me, made me tired just thinking about it.

Yes, i totally admire folks who go for their university degree, not interest courses... in their 50's. A good friend of mine got her 2nd Master's when she was around 53 yrs.  I keep on forgetting to ask her what she wanted to get out it or if that was necessary in an academic/university workplace which is where she is....as a senior manager.

• Awesome 1

22 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

And still, what reason would employees in other parts of the company need to have access to your personal details?  I don't think I've ever heard of such a situation other than a resume being given to specific people.

Maybe I'm too old school.

Getting to know your fellow workers is a good thing. I think the same is true for classmates. Interacting with others keeps one's mind young and active. This is just my opinion, and I could claim to be 'older' school than you.:rolleyes:

• Heart 1

I've seen similar things on work intranet sites.  One company I was at regularly profiled work "twins"  or "triplets" -  unrelated people at the company who had the same name.   Sometimes it's just a way of highlighting potential work areas or career paths at the company, but trying to make it a bit more personall.  My condo newsletter sometimes does a "meet your neighbor" profile  (it's a big complex) and I was just enjoying reading one about a woman who used to work for Reader's Digest and edited one of the humor columns that my Mom used to love.

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

And still, what reason would employees in other parts of the company need to have access to your personal details?  I don't think I've ever heard of such a situation other than a resume being given to specific people.

Maybe I'm too old school.

Human interest.  Getting to know your co-workers.  Creating an opportunity to allow employees to stand out.

And yes you are not just old school...

Just now, Square Wheels Kzoo said:

Human interest.  Getting to know your co-workers.  Creating an opportunity to allow employees to stand out.

Yep.

As more and more offices become virtual and remote, it is hard to form "human" relationships that a normal office can foster.  There is little time or desire in a Zoom meeting to chit-chat about the weekend, etc., with a whole group on a call, whereas in the past, that took place in hallways, kitchens, water coolers, and offices/desks.  If you lose that sense of community where folks share themselves a bit with each other, then the team suffers a lot.  It is interesting that the Netflix CEO has been putting the focus back on in person office culture.  The next decade will be an interesting time of experimentation to see what a mid-21st century office will look like.

10 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Yes, i totally admire folks who go for their university degree, not interest courses... in their 50's. A good friend of mine got her 2nd Master's when she was around 53 yrs.

In the early 80's I worked with an engineer that had a boatload of masters degrees.  He was in his mid sixties (didn't look a day over 40) and had sociability issues.  He was a nice enough guy but was a total loner, never married, no friends.  His only interest seemed to be continued education.  He had degrees in engineering and math along with languages and literature.  I seem to remember the number of 12 for how many masters degrees he held.  He was the 3rd engineer in a department of 3 engineers and had no ambition to better himself professionally and never held a job in academia.  We all travel the path of life differently.

11 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Another person wanted to know about the degree program I took ...decades ago.

Is it "Lost in the Past" week?

I got a call from a real estate company yesterday asking me if I wanted to sell the house that I sold in 2011.

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Pffft.  Get off my lawn and stick to work.

3/4 of the profile was highlighting what I normally do in my job. A major project.

Max, I work in an organization of 12,000 employees....35 very different depts.  So there is a huge variety of services (both public and internal). You can imagine the number, range and scale of projects that exist also. We include accountants, social workers, firefighters, GIS people, engineers, transit workers, etc.... a huge range of occupational groups/roles.

The organization espouses life-work balance....part of this is to profile employees that...their job, their general interests.

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Yep.

As more and more offices become virtual and remote, it is hard to form "human" relationships that a normal office can foster.  There is little time or desire in a Zoom meeting to chit-chat about the weekend, etc., with a whole group on a call, whereas in the past, that took place in hallways, kitchens, water coolers, and offices/desks.  If you lose that sense of community where folks share themselves a bit with each other, then the team suffers a lot.  It is interesting that the Netflix CEO has been putting the focus back on in person office culture.  The next decade will be an interesting time of experimentation to see what a mid-21st century office will look like.

I agree remote makes it abit harder to form human general relationships.  I find I have to email someone lst before buzzing via Teams chat.  

I'm just abit surprised who did reach out to me after my profile was released on intranet (not internet).  People who I barely knew (and of course employees I never met /knew before).  Sometimes working at home, maybe people occasionally just want to reach out...not just for pure work related reasons.  But as a check if they haven't seen the person for past 2 years....which was true for some of these employees.

17 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I agree remote makes it abit harder to form human general relationships.  I find I have to email someone lst before buzzing via Teams chat.  

I'm just abit surprised who did reach out to me after my profile was released on intranet (not internet).  People who I barely knew (and of course employees I never met /knew before).  Sometimes working at home, maybe people occasionally just want to reach out...not just for pure work related reasons.  But as a check if they haven't seen the person for past 2 years....which was true for some of these employees.

It's not like your blog is not "public" already and available on the internet already! 

image.png.ad9b42e394cb3ea1b163d98c502859e6.png

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

It's not like your blog is not "public" already and available on the internet already! 

image.png.ad9b42e394cb3ea1b163d98c502859e6.png

I even debated on whether or not to give the link. Yes, it's not that hard to find it if one knows my name. I guess I better continue to be careful what I publish on blog. Which is not hard. Right now, am running out of ideas/maybe brain went into Rip Van Winkle time.

4 hours ago, shootingstar said:

3/4 of the profile was highlighting what I normally do in my job. A major project.

Max, I work in an organization of 12,000 employees....35 very different depts.  So there is a huge variety of services (both public and internal). You can imagine the number, range and scale of projects that exist also. We include accountants, social workers, firefighters, GIS people, engineers, transit workers, etc.... a huge range of occupational groups/roles.

The organization espouses life-work balance....part of this is to profile employees that...their job, their general interests.

I worked for companies that produced highly confidential results.  We tended to keep our noses inside our own space.  Loose lips sink ships.

9 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I worked for companies that produced highly confidential results.  We tended to keep our noses inside our own space.  Loose lips sink ships.

Understandable. 

We also have highly confidential info.....  as a public organization there is the law on freedom of info. and protection of personal info. which our organization must comply. One of the other work groups in our dept. handles freedom of info. requests from the public.

Until one works for govn't where such laws are in place, external folks can't quite appreciate the level of transparency that the public expects/demands.  

16 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I enjoy going to school and taking courses. I have enough degrees so don’t pursue them but I do seek out new knowledge. 50:isn’t too late. It is never to late. 

I said in the 2nd last sentence of my profile, that I would like to take some art painting courses as I had in past after covid.  I wondered if I said a career limiting thing because it has nothing to do with work related skills.

But at this time in life,.....I no longer care.  I've demonstrated what I have done so far for current employer and those who know/work with me in the workplace, know that I did it. I  took work related courses awhile ago.

Nowadays it's internal courses and some software specific.  Then later, after software testing, I have to be the person to design/provide the course for employees. There has been significant software platform upgrades that affects our course content ...so constant learning/upgrading of knowledge.

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, Airehead said:

I enjoy going to school and taking courses. I have enough degrees so don’t pursue them but I do seek out new knowledge. 50:isn’t too late. It is never to late. 

I didn't get my first degree till I was in my late 40's.  Frankly by that point it didn't much matter to my career as I was already doing the work that the paper gave me permission to begin.