Paging all participants to the emergency medical phone.

donkpow
Go to solution Solved by Kirby,

Did it bleed alot?  Lots of bleeding can cause swelling, but usually in the area of the cut.

A cut tendon can cause swelling, but doubt that is happening due to location.

I am thinking something on the knife got into your system?

Benadryl?

The last thing you should do is seek competent medical advice from a trained medical professional.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Did it bleed alot?  Lots of bleeding can cause swelling, but usually in the area of the cut.

A cut tendon can cause swelling, but doubt that is happening due to location.

I am thinking something on the knife got into your system?

Benadryl?

The last thing you should is seek competent medical advice.

Cold pack at this moment. We'll see.

27 minutes ago, Square Wheels Kzoo said:

It sure would help me but coffee is in short supply here.

I wonder if @jsharr heard that... Coffee is in short supply here.

So, IF, and that is a big IF, I were to send you coffee, would you prefer whole bean or ground on the off chance that Brandon just told me he is roasting Sunday and the even more remote chance that I decided to up my order with him.....

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

So, IF, and that is a big IF, I were to send you coffee, would you prefer whole bean or ground on the off chance that Brandon just told me he is roasting Sunday and the even more remote chance that I decided to up my order with him.....

Neither thanks.  I appreciate the coffee you did send and enjoyed drinking it.  If I got more coffee from you I would feel bad about trying to offend you.  Well, at least for a little while.  And I know you don't want me to feel bad...

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Square Wheels Kzoo said:

Neither thanks.  I appreciate the coffee you did send and enjoyed drinking it.  If I got more coffee from you I would feel bad about trying to offend you.  Well, at least for a little while.  And I know you don't want me to feel bad...

Okay, so ground it is then.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

If the swelling hasn't gone away, you could try an online doctor visit.   That might get you some real advice without having to go to an urgent care.  Not sure if your insurance has an online service, but even if it's not covered by your insurance, you can "see" someone quickly for around $70

• Heart 1

• Solution
2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

At this time of day it's almost easier to check in to a Holiday Inn Express for the night.  Prolly cheaper too.

My insurance subscribes to an online service that literally has doctors available pretty much on call.  You can also see the doctor's name in advance so you can check their credentials before selecting them.   It's not useful for a lot of conditions, but it might work for this sort of thing.  My old insurance also had a nurses' hot line where you could call someone for free and talk to them. 

Just now, Kirby said:

My insurance subscribes to an online service that literally has doctors available pretty much on call.  You can also see the doctor's name in advance so you can check their credentials before selecting them.   It's not useful for a lot of conditions, but it might work for this sort of thing.  My old insurance also had a nurses' hot line where you could call someone for free and talk to them. 

Ohhhhh.  I canz talk to nurses for free?

2 hours ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

Do you have any leaches?  You could use leaches to suck the swelling down.

I see you are a patient of Theodoric of York, Medieval Barber.

Sorry for the blurry picture.  Medieval cameras were not very good.  Not even one megapixel back then.

Theodoric of York (@THEODORICYORK) | Twitter

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kirby said:

also had a nurses' hot line where you could call someone for free and talk to them. 

I usually prefer to talk to nurses. My oncologist is hot, I like talking to her.

Where’s Dr. Mickin? He needs to weigh in on this medical emergency.

When I was having a heart attack I called my wife’s hospice nurse.

• Awesome 1

15 hours ago, Kirby said:

I am looking for an online x-ray service. Should be any time now.

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

And she said call 911, or did you drive yourself to the horse spittle?

I called my brother and he drove me to the horse spittle and they ran a bunch of tests, admitted me over night and then ran some more tests before shipping me off by ambulance to another horse spittle. Still getting bills from that first horse spittle. The second horse spittle never sent me a bill, they sent me a statement saying all $90,600 had been paid by my insurance. Heart attacks ain’t cheap, between the two horse spittles it was $100,000.

18 hours ago, donkpow said:

Prepping some shallots for lunch, I removed a chunk of flesh from my left index finger. Within a half hour, a knuckle not directly associated with my index finger swelled up like a golf ball. What's up with that, huh?

hand2.jpg.a782b8d93ab5fd3c50c72db05b0610ba.jpg

How is the hand this morning? Is it still puffed up? You might need to go buy yourself a new bike. 
:speedy:

• Awesome 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, roadsue said:

Update @donkpow ?

The swelling has subsided appreciably. It appears the swelling was probably a bleed of some sort since the area has started to look more like a bruise. There is no indication on the skin of some sort of trauma like impact, burn, cut, etc. I have arthritis in my hands. It's possible I reacted to the cut to the point that some internal injury occurred.  I don't know what happened but as long it clears up, I will carry on. Keyboard operations is tedious with the injured index finger.

• Heart 1