Saved myself a bit of embarrassment

team scooter

So we bought our new Mazda from a different dealer than the dealer we've been using for over a decade. And they gave us a free oil change coupon when we bought it. I finally used the coupon yesterday. Now, all the Mazdas we've ever owned required/require full synthetic oil. Surely this new one with the same engine as our old van with an additional turbo charger would use full synthetic too. But when I got home, I read the receipt and saw that they used regular 5w30oil during the oil change. No wonder it was free. I started spitting nails. I grabbed my cell phone and owners manual, intending on reading word for word about using the correct oil during an oil change. But before I dialed, I looked it up, the manual recommends regular 5w30 oil. :facepalm:Oops, don't call me Surely.

My only question is, why did they stop requiring synthetic oil? Something to do with the heat from the turbo? Can I still use synthetic in the next oil change? This is why I buy all the same dang brand vehicles, so stuff like the interiors, controls, even the oil filters and the oil are all the same. I don't like change. :frantics: 

• Heart 2

22 minutes ago, team scooter said:

So we bought our new Mazda from a different dealer than the dealer we've been using for over a decade. And they gave us a free oil change coupon when we bought it. I finally used the coupon yesterday. Now, all the Mazdas we've ever owned required/require full synthetic oil. Surely this new one with the same engine as our old van with an additional turbo charger would use full synthetic too. But when I got home, I read the receipt and saw that they used regular 5w30oil during the oil change. No wonder it was free. I started spitting nails. I grabbed my cell phone and owners manual, intending on reading word for word about using the correct oil during an oil change. But before I dialed, I looked it up, the manual recommends regular 5w30 oil. :facepalm:Oops, don't call me Surely.

My only question is, why did they stop requiring synthetic oil? Something to do with the heat from the turbo? Can I still use synthetic in the next oil change? This is why I buy all the same dang brand vehicles, so stuff like the interiors, controls, even the oil filters and the oil are all the same. I don't like change. :frantics: 

Turbo heat and synthetic oils have been a problem in the past.  It burns at a lower temperature and can varnish up the bearings of the turbo.  That was the definitive story back in the 90's.  I'm not so sure it's quite as true today.  Certainly the synthetic oil companies like Mobile 1 don't think so.  Turbocharged cars have undergone many design improvements in the years since I had and studied one.  They have better bearings, accumulators to provide oil flow during shutdown which is the most dangerous point for the turbo bearings as if the oil flow stops there is nothing to remove the residual heat from the bearings and that's when the oil burns and varnishes.

I'm pretty sure though that if your manufacturer has recommended it that the 5w 30 oil is from their perspective the best you can use.

One tip for turbo cars, don't rev the engine before shut down and do let the engine idle for 30 seconds or so after stopping to allow the turbo wheel to spin down to a slower speed before shutdown.  Do let the engine warm up as much as possible before using the throttle any harder than necessary.

• Awesome 1

You can switch between synthetic and regular oils. If you plan to keep the car less than 100k miles, use regular oils. The biggest advantage of synthetic oil is less engine wear followed by extended change intervals and better gas mileage. Why spend the money to help the next owner if you sell it with less than 100k miles?

Thanks for the explanation Max. I figured it had something to do with the heat/turbo. After 5000 miles, it's really loosened up and that 2.5T really moves that heavy SUV around nicely. Zero to 60 in 7.2 seconds on premium. :nodhead:

Jerry, I'd like to run synthetic in it, as I plan to keep it until I retire, however I'm sure there's a reason Mazda recommends not to. I change oil every 5000 miles anyway just so it's easy to keep track of. Like our Mazda 3 has a little over 160,000 miles, I can tell you we've changed the oil 32 times without even checking receipts. When I had the first oil changed on this new one, it still had a nice golden color. But these Mazda Skiactiv engines seem to be pretty clean.

7 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Our CX5 takes 0W-20. We have free life time oil changes but that’s in Cincinnati and I’m not driving 1k miles for a free oil change. We are a synthetic household and do all my own oil changes. 

I have free oil changes aboot 50 miles away, and I don’t do that anymore. Synthetic, too. 

It's water cooled.

This page from the manual (2018) as well

On the previous page something caught my attention. ( Page 3-55 in the US owners manual) It says: Caution. After driving at freeway speeds or up a long hill, idle the engine for 30 seconds before stopping it. Otherwise, the turbocharger could be damaged" .

• Awesome 1