Landlines

Airehead

I saw a phone company truck working on the phone line that goes past my house. I asked if they were taking down the line. They said they were repairing it. I asked them why? They told me Mr. Kem still has a land line. This guy was an old man when we moved out here 27 years ago.  I have no idea how old he is now. I haven’t seen him outside for at least five years. His house is the last one on our road with electric, the wires end there and the rest of the farms are Amish. The power company and phone company must hate our road.

• Hugs 1

I still have one. It was my childhood number. It’s bundled with my internet and only runs $30 a month. I keep it half for sentimental reasons and half because cell phone coverage is really poor out here. 
I did not have one when I lived in the farmhouse though, so I was cell phone only for more than 20 years. 

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I wish we could get DSL. 

Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for. I have a client who lives in a nice neighborhood on the edge of a VERY nice neighborhood. She still uses DSL because she doesn't want to pay the cable company for internet. She can only get 1.2 MBs DSL. I called CenturyLink. The tech checked everything and said that was the limit of a junction she was on. The tech was very embarassed there was not a better solution. 

17 minutes ago, groupw said:

Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for. I have a client who lives in a nice neighborhood on the edge of a VERY nice neighborhood. She still uses DSL because she doesn't want to pay the cable company for internet. She can only get 1.2 MBs DSL. I called CenturyLink. The tech checked everything and said that was the limit of a junction she was on. The tech was very embarassed there was not a better solution. 

That’s pretty much what I have with satellite that I pay $129.00 a month for. The funny thing is they sucker in some people that think they can get good internet by satellite. You have to read between the lines on their adds. They always compare their speed to dial up. The only outright lies they tell are the ones about their possible speeds. 

1 minute ago, Allen said:

Oh, I also have a candlestick phone. It’s the most frequently used phone in the house. The speaker larger than what’s in the cordless handsets, and the sound quality is that much better too. 

My doomer neighbor gets a kick out of it. Says it’s the only rotary phone he has ever used. 

We also have a rotary on the wall in the hall.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

When the AT&T line was still hooked up we kept a rotary princess phone in the closet to hook up during power outages.  You dial 222 and say "Phylis could you hook me up to Jim next door to the fire house".

Our land line continues to work, even during power outages. Thus, I can check on the location and duration of the outage.

A landline was not installed to our new home.   WoBG and I have our cellphones.   Our cellphone serves isn't great, so I have both phones setup to use Wi-Fi calling in our home.

AT&T and Verizon have been working to eliminate landlines.  My guess, in 10 years (more or less) they will be abandoned. 

8 hours ago, groupw said:

Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for. I have a client who lives in a nice neighborhood on the edge of a VERY nice neighborhood. She still uses DSL because she doesn't want to pay the cable company for internet. She can only get 1.2 MBs DSL.

Our old home had DSL.  It was slow... only 1 Mbps at best.   It was painful waiting for some computer updates.  My Garmin Nuvi GPS, that updates about twice a year with 2+GB of maps.  That took many hours via DSL.  

Our new home uses the cable company.  In theory, 100 Mbps is our max speed.    Most of our network is wireless.  50 to 75 Mbps is typical for our computers and phones.

image.png.11be0b2dab744891ae20d119dbe377f4.png

• Heart 1