Battery powered snow blowers

Mr. Silly
Go to solution Solved by maddmaxx,

I want to avoid the gas oil mix issue and having to pull start the blower.  I am starting to see electric snow blowers in the hardware store.  I don't need something that can throw 12 inches of snow 50 feet.  Just something that can handle 3 to 4 inches and throw it 15 feet.

I have an electric mower. I'm sure it would have the same issues for both. 
Batteries would be crappy and not charge or hold a charge fully, and heavy snow will bog it down like tall grass does to the mower. 

Gas power is the only way to go

• Heart 1

• Solution
46 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

I want to avoid the gas oil mix issue and having to pull start the blower.  I am starting to see electric snow blowers in the hardware store.  I don't need something that can throw 12 inches of snow 50 feet.  Just something that can handle 3 to 4 inches and throw it 15 feet.

I have an electric corded snow blower.  Someone comes and plows my 125 foot driveway but I still have to clear around the car pads and front door sidewalk.  It works good for what you are describing and hopefully the snow isn't too wet and dense.  One always has to have a mind for the cord however as you don't want to run it over while backing up to do the next row.

37 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

I saw.  It had good reviews and how bad of a mistake can it be for $100? so I ordered it.

Thank you very much

Buy a gas powered snow blower, a massive generator, and a chainsaw or two.  That ought to buy you a decade or so of disaster free living.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

I saw.  It had good reviews and how bad of a mistake can it be for $100? so I ordered it.

Thank you very much

I've had mine for a few years.  Check the fiddly little bolts that hold the handle that turns the deflector so they don't vibrate out and it will work well.  Sometimes when the snow gets a bit heavy I have to push forward, back up and push forward again but it beats shovelling,  Tie the extension cord in a loop around the handle so it doesn't pull out of the plug all the time.

Now my secret is that I have to keep it on the sun porch because the shed is way out at the back end of the yard.  Every year that I prepare for snow by bringing it from the shed early we get almost no snow.  This year I never used it.  Every year that I'm late to prepare it snows like mad.  Watch and learn padawan.

41 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Maybe to clear a path to get to the door to get the tractor?:dontknow:

Our JD fits into our garage.  It's ready to go before the snow.  I just open the garage door and have fun for 15 to 20 minutes with a snow blade.

It took about 1 hour to clear the drive with our old snow blower. I did that once... 

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

I have a plain gasoline one that works well.

Going electric made sense to me for a weedwacker to avoid gummed up carbs.  I use it mostly for edging. 

Electric made sense for me as I don't have a garage and the shed is too far from the driveway to leave a snow blower there.  This one I can store on the sunporch and I only need to blow the areas around the cars where the plow guy can't get to.

On 9/23/2020 at 5:52 PM, maddmaxx said:

If you get it all put together and displayed inside your house you may be able to prevent snow.

And I don't care what they say but mine runs fine on a 100 ft high quality orange out door extension cable.

I just put it together.  Here it is.

20200925_135943.thumb.jpg.af6ecc99350d092d23039abacdd48505.jpg

On 9/19/2020 at 11:44 AM, Mr. Silly said:

They're surely a blessing to people who can get worn out trying to pull-start a gas motor.

My cousin Bill was in his 80's, had a snow blower, and a son-in-law was on his way over to use it to clear Bill's driveway.  Bill decided to make sure it started ok, made a lot of pulls, had a heart attack and died.

When I reach the point where clearing my porches, sidewalks to the street, and 160' of steetside sidewalk with a shovel becomes too much, I'll get a snow blower but they are not very common in my area because some years we get more snow than Juneau, Alaska but much more often, not much.